9mm Pistol Recommendations? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-17-2020, 03:13 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (274)
9mm Pistol Recommendations?

I have a CZ 75 SP-01 for more than 10 years and I like it, but am thinking about another 9mm (not a replacement as I want got keep the CZ) pistol. I'm thinking something that is as simple as possible in operation (rack it and pull the trigger). The Glock comes to mind, but as I haven't shopped for a 9 in years I am not familiar with what all is out there. Would much appreciate some recommendations for a quality, reliable, simple-to-operate 9mm. Simple disassembly and reassembly would be a big plus too (probably striker-fired).

Doug
Old 12-17-2020, 03:14 PM
Donnelson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pardini gt9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-17-2020, 03:34 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
For simple Glock is King
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2020, 03:39 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
For a man of your discerning taste Doug take a look at the Sig P-210 Legend Target. It is an incredibly beautiful and accurate pistol.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gu...r-p210-legend/

Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sig p210.jpg (220.4 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by LtCrunch; 12-17-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 03:50 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Hmm. No real help here. The pistol that fits my hand best is already the CZ: the 75 BD (decocker version, no safety). The other 9mm's that I have owned: Beretta M92 (too long a reach to the trigger for medium sized hands, never got fully comfortable), and a Springfield Range Officer (great trigger, but 7 round magazine). My only other 9mm pistol is actually the S&W 929 revolver. It works with moon clips and keeps me from chasing my brass around on the range.

As you can tell from those choices above, I don't naturally gravitate to the striker-fired pistols. I did try one that I liked, though: a Canik TP9sfx - (an optics ready copy/descendant of the Walter P99?). I fired a friend's at the range and I found it super accurate and the trigger pretty good. Despite their popularity, the Glocks have never done it for me -- the trigger feels spongy. Love the idea of the simplified field stripping on the Glocks, though. Brilliant design, just not the plinker for me.

I know what I would buy if I could only try one more 9mm semi-auto: A Sig Sauer P210. Not surprisingly it also has that Hi-Power related slide-in-the-frame design shared by the CZ 75 (as opposed to the slide on the frame for the 1911's). The only advantage to their hefty price tag is that they still seem to be generally available. Bud's has them in stock, for instance. Just sayin. Hey, maybe you could buy one and then let me shoot it. I'll bring my own ammo, these being trying times.

Edit: I was typing as Crunch was posting. See, he's a man of excellent taste. Great minds, and all that . . .

Last edited by flangster; 12-17-2020 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 03:50 PM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
I have a CZ 75 SP-01 for more than 10 years and I like it, but am thinking about another 9mm (not a replacement as I want got keep the CZ) pistol. I'm thinking something that is as simple as possible in operation (rack it and pull the trigger). The Glock comes to mind, but as I haven't shopped for a 9 in years I am not familiar with what all is out there. Would much appreciate some recommendations for a quality, reliable, simple-to-operate 9mm. Simple disassembly and reassembly would be a big plus too (probably striker-fired).

Doug
What do you want to do with it?

I have owned six 9mm pistols, four Glocks, plus an M&P Shield and a Springfield XD. Each serves a specific purpose (two are dedicated to competition) but all are simple and reliable.

For carry, I have the G43 as it slips into my front pocket and I barely notice it. I used to carry the 26 before the 43 came along, but it's more bulky - now the 26 rides in the glove box. I bought the Shield for my daughter as she feels more comfortable carrying with a round chambered and the Shield has a safety (none of the Glocks do.) For sport, the G17 and Springfield XD are very nice.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:03 PM
Southern1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All steel versions of the Baby Eagle, IWI Jericho or EAA Witness. All are basically the same pistol made by Tanfoglio. I have a EAA Witness Match with SA only trigger, my wife has the Baby Eagle. They fit the hand nicely, have great triggers, and basically CZ 75 clones. The Witness models go as full race gun as you can afford.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:06 PM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
Would much appreciate some recommendations for a quality, reliable, simple-to-operate 9mm.
How big?

SIG Sauer P365 is very nice in the smaller category. Anything larger than that I think it would be hard to beat a Glock. They're not as popular as they are without good reason. I find the G19 to be the best balance-- both in size (not too big, not too small) and the balance of the weight.

Last edited by Sophia; 12-17-2020 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:15 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
How big?

SIG Sauer P365 is very nice in the smaller category. Anything larger than that I think it would be hard to beat a Glock. They're not as popular as they are without good reason. I find the G19 to be the best balance-- both in size (not too big, not too small) and the balance of the weight.
I was very impressed with this SIG. Best handling smaller frame 9mm in my experience. If you twisted my arm for another full sized pistol, I'd say another CZ75 in the Shadow version. I just hate Glocks.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:16 PM
tominboise

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Depending on what you doing, of course. But the Glock line is hard to beat. I have 3 or 4 of them. Glock 19 as an all arounder is hard to beat. I also have one of the aforementioned SIG P210 target pistols. If you are planning on target shooting only, it is hard to beat. It feels like the slide is running on greased glass when you rack it, and the trigger is right at 3lbs.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:23 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Definitely depends on what you are going to be doing with it. If your just looking for a range gun I would probably recommend something different than I would for EDC. One pistol that I enjoy doing both with is the S&W Shield 9mm. It's decent enough for target shooting and is very comfortable to carry.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:25 PM
Empe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
It depends on what you want it for . I have 2 Glocks ..a 19 for concealed carry and home defense and a 34 that I use as a range gun & for steel plate matches . Both are very simple and very reliable.
The Sig P 210 that LtCrunch mentions is a beautiful & well put together gun. I have been very tempted to buy one .

Last edited by Empe; 12-17-2020 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:26 PM
nedanschutz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fn makes a very nice striker fired pistol. Fns compact. Comes with 3 magazines, accurate good trigger, as compared to a glock very easy to disassemble and maintain.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:32 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
One that I like AND you can find right now... Springfield Hellcat .. Magazines: (1) 11 Round, (1) 13

https://palmettostatearmory.com/spri...l-hc9319b.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMvV7mUyvfU

Last edited by Chaser; 12-17-2020 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:33 PM
nedanschutz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Also can recommend a Walther pps either the "classic " or "M2" LEM comes with 3 mags. Excellent carry pistol and pretty nice trigger also . Very inexpensive at present, about 350$ I carry it daily also very easy to disassemble and maintain. Many others around just depends on what it's intended to be addressing as far as purpose. Have to hold them hand feel is very personal. I have never owned a glock they feel like holding a 2x4 and trigger blows.