Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-18-2020, 09:08 AM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
japan tasco 8-32 w/ dot

Have one of these. Not bad for a ~40 year old scope.

Unfortunately, the markings for the AO on the objective are in no way related to the distance the target appears clear at or parallax fully disappears. I've never bothered to add marks, etc. I just crank it around until things look right.

Two questions -

Is this fixable? I've just made a deal for something to replace it on my golf ball killing rig, so I don't *need* the scope now. But when I put it up for sale I'd like to tag as "usable as is but not fixable" or "usable as is and fixable" - or even just "only usable as parts" (though I don't see why...)

What would the value be for those 3 conditions?
Old 12-18-2020, 09:42 AM
eastbank
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
i have one and i pushed the marked ring off and after putting the rifle in my lead sled and looking at 100 yards i turned the scope to where the parelex was gone. i put a little dab of JB weld on the inside of the ring an pushed it back on with the 100 yard mark lined up. problem fixed. i have it on a older S&W 1500 heavy barreled .223 rifle and it is a tack driver today.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:15 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
japan tasco 8-32 w/ dot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan View Post
Have one of these. Not bad for a ~40 year old scope.

Unfortunately, the markings for the AO on the objective are in no way related to the distance the target appears clear at or parallax fully disappears. I've never bothered to add marks, etc. I just crank it around until things look right.

Two questions -

Is this fixable? I've just made a deal for something to replace it on my golf ball killing rig, so I don't *need* the scope now. But when I put it up for sale I'd like to tag as "usable as is but not fixable" or "usable as is and fixable" - or even just "only usable as parts" (though I don't see why...)

What would the value be for those 3 conditions?

Those marks are only relative. I don’t think they even line up on my luepolds.
If your going to sell it on eBay just sell it as “used and in good condition “. The marks not lining up is normal , not an anomaly.

Non of my taco world class glass line up either.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"

Last edited by PEASHOOTER67; 12-18-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2020, 12:30 PM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEASHOOTER67 View Post
Those marks are only relative. I don’t think they even line up on my luepolds.
If your going to sell it on eBay just sell it as “used and in good condition “. The marks not lining up is normal , not an anomaly.

Non of my taco world class glass line up either.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
While the marks on my old Simmons WTC certainly aren't precise, they are in fact relatively close.

For this one though I set it on hundreds of yards to shoot at 25 and 50.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:51 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan View Post
While the marks on my old Simmons WTC certainly aren't precise, they are in fact relatively close.

For this one though I set it on hundreds of yards to shoot at 25 and 50.
Most (possibly all) of my scopes are off. Some more than others. I haven't used my Tasco World Class 24X in awhile but I'm pretty sure that one was off too.

Recently I started using a few different Vortex scopes with side focus. Those are all off pretty far. I just started reading a book on competitive shooting. The author says what you're experiencing is completely normal and has more than one high-priced scope that's way off like yours. He also says your eyesight has a lot to do with it too. I've now started to wonder if my aging eyes are the reason some of my scopes seem to be farther off than they used to be

Old 12-19-2020, 10:34 AM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I look at those numbers to be a relative starting point. Most times I set it to the yardage that is being shot at and then fine tune without looking at any numbers. Sometimes I just turn the adjustment till everything looks right. Anyway for me they are only a starting point. In a hunting situation it would be rare to have your prey at a exact yardage marked on the AO.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:15 PM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm boy View Post
I look at those numbers to be a relative starting point. Most times I set it to the yardage that is being shot at and then fine tune without looking at any numbers. Sometimes I just turn the adjustment till everything looks right. Anyway for me they are only a starting point. In a hunting situation it would be rare to have your prey at a exact yardage marked on the AO.
Don't think a 9lb+ 10/22 build will be seeing much field use
Old 12-31-2020, 09:39 PM
Steve Newman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
PWNolan, you are correct about individual eyesight, glasses prescription (if needed), and also individual focus of the eyepiece for clear image of the crosshairs,all being intertwined and affecting the theoretical yardage markings on the parallax adjusting objective.....I just ignore the markings and set the focus by the image, regardless of the yardage settings. Ivan, BTW, I am a fan of the 8x32x44 World Class and also 8x32x50 World Class Plus Tasco scopes from the mid and late 1980's with the floating 1/8 MOA dot/extra fine crosshairs. They were an unbelievably good value with top quality glass for the time, and still are quite good compared to today's offerings.

Last edited by Steve Newman; 01-09-2021 at 10:30 PM.