japan tasco 8-32 w/ dot - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-18-2020, 09:08 AM
ivan

Join Date: 
Aug 2008
Posts: 
6,263
TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
japan tasco 8-32 w/ dot



Log in to see fewer ads
Have one of these. Not bad for a ~40 year old scope.

Unfortunately, the markings for the AO on the objective are in no way related to the distance the target appears clear at or parallax fully disappears. I've never bothered to add marks, etc. I just crank it around until things look right.

Two questions -

Is this fixable? I've just made a deal for something to replace it on my golf ball killing rig, so I don't *need* the scope now. But when I put it up for sale I'd like to tag as "usable as is but not fixable" or "usable as is and fixable" - or even just "only usable as parts" (though I don't see why...)

What would the value be for those 3 conditions?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-18-2020, 09:42 AM
eastbank
US Air Force Veteran

Join Date: 
Dec 2008
Location: 
pa.
Posts: 
506
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
i have one and i pushed the marked ring off and after putting the rifle in my lead sled and looking at 100 yards i turned the scope to where the parelex was gone. i put a little dab of JB weld on the inside of the ring an pushed it back on with the 100 yard mark lined up. problem fixed. i have it on a older S&W 1500 heavy barreled .223 rifle and it is a tack driver today.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-18-2020, 10:15 AM
PEASHOOTER67's Avatar
PEASHOOTER67 is online now
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2003
Location: 
North west of Ft. Worth
Posts: 
3,533
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
japan tasco 8-32 w/ dot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan View Post
Have one of these. Not bad for a ~40 year old scope.

Unfortunately, the markings for the AO on the objective are in no way related to the distance the target appears clear at or parallax fully disappears. I've never bothered to add marks, etc. I just crank it around until things look right.

Two questions -

Is this fixable? I've just made a deal for something to replace it on my golf ball killing rig, so I don't *need* the scope now. But when I put it up for sale I'd like to tag as "usable as is but not fixable" or "usable as is and fixable" - or even just "only usable as parts" (though I don't see why...)

What would the value be for those 3 conditions?

Those marks are only relative. I don’t think they even line up on my luepolds.
If your going to sell it on eBay just sell it as “used and in good condition “. The marks not lining up is normal , not an anomaly.

Non of my taco world class glass line up either.


"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"

Last edited by PEASHOOTER67; 12-18-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 12-18-2020, 12:30 PM
ivan

Join Date: 
Aug 2008
Posts: 
6,263
TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEASHOOTER67 View Post
Those marks are only relative. I don’t think they even line up on my luepolds.
If your going to sell it on eBay just sell it as “used and in good condition “. The marks not lining up is normal , not an anomaly.

Non of my taco world class glass line up either.


"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
While the marks on my old Simmons WTC certainly aren't precise, they are in fact relatively close.

For this one though I set it on hundreds of yards to shoot at 25 and 50.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-18-2020, 03:51 PM
PWNolan's Avatar
PWNolan is online now
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Moderator
Join Date: 
Sep 2008
Location: 
Lost
Posts: 
5,221
TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan View Post
While the marks on my old Simmons WTC certainly aren't precise, they are in fact relatively close.

For this one though I set it on hundreds of yards to shoot at 25 and 50.
Most (possibly all) of my scopes are off. Some more than others. I haven't used my Tasco World Class 24X in awhile but I'm pretty sure that one was off too.

Recently I started using a few different Vortex scopes with side focus. Those are all off pretty far. I just started reading a book on competitive shooting. The author says what you're experiencing is completely normal and has more than one high-priced scope that's way off like yours. He also says your eyesight has a lot to do with it too. I've now started to wonder if my aging eyes are the reason some of my scopes seem to be farther off than they used to be
__________________
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-19-2020, 10:34 AM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2005
Location: 
Midwest
Posts: 
2,387
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I look at those numbers to be a relative starting point. Most times I set it to the yardage that is being shot at and then fine tune without looking at any numbers. Sometimes I just turn the adjustment till everything looks right. Anyway for me they are only a starting point. In a hunting situation it would be rare to have your prey at a exact yardage marked on the AO.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-21-2020, 01:15 PM
ivan

Join Date: 
Aug 2008
Posts: 
6,263
TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm boy View Post
I look at those numbers to be a relative starting point. Most times I set it to the yardage that is being shot at and then fine tune without looking at any numbers. Sometimes I just turn the adjustment till everything looks right. Anyway for me they are only a starting point. In a hunting situation it would be rare to have your prey at a exact yardage marked on the AO.
Don't think a 9lb+ 10/22 build will be seeing much field use
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-31-2020, 09:39 PM
Steve Newman

Join Date: 
Oct 2011
Posts: 
510
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
PWNolan, you are correct about individual eyesight, glasses prescription (if needed), and also individual focus of the eyepiece for clear image of the crosshairs,all being intertwined and affecting the theoretical yardage markings on the parallax adjusting objective.....I just ignore the markings and set the focus by the image, regardless of the yardage settings. Ivan, BTW, I am a fan of the 8x32x44 World Class and also 8x32x50 World Class Plus Tasco scopes from the mid and late 1980's with the floating 1/8 MOA dot/extra fine crosshairs. They were an unbelievably good value with top quality glass for the time, and still are quite good compared to today's offerings.

Last edited by Steve Newman; 01-09-2021 at 10:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x