Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-06-2019, 01:29 PM
Blackwolfe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Retirement and Geezerhood

Recently read that one of the members here is retiring in about six months. I'm thinking about retirement in the next year or so myself. Retired once already in an unplanned, unexpected situation that came about quickly at the age of 56 and wasn't ready financially at that time. I loved the freedom of time that I had, but the income wasn't there. I got by money wise, paid the bills, but there was nothing extra. At that time the company got what it wanted in getting rid of the old timers. This time around it's more on my terms with a couple of income streams.

Just wonder how many of you are retired or are planning to retire soon? Is retirement what you thought it would be? Are you living your dream, meeting your goals, or is retirement not what you thought it might be? How many of you had to or decided to go back to werk?

I've been realizing that werk has been too much stress and taking up too much of my time. I don't seem to have much of a life and the time to do what needs to be done around the house much less doing much for myself. When the last day of werk comes I initially plan to get caught up doing what needs to be done around the house, with personal fun projects scattered in, and schedule in some fun time for myself.

When the homeowner stuff is caught up, thinking I'll look for a rural place to move to with space to shoot and a small shop to tinker in. Maybe I'll even find a lady friend to join me, but probably need a better introduction line than "what do you know about raising chickens".

So what do all the geezers here have to say about retirement?
Old 04-06-2019, 01:44 PM
Rosscoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
I retired at 60 because the job I had wasn't going well. I'd go back to work right now if the job was simple, part time and get time off when wanted.

I say keep working,but on your terms!

Last edited by Rosscoe; 04-06-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:47 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Retired about 8 months ago, and yes it has been everything that I had hoped. God blessed me with good health through 32 years in the operating engineers and am able to retire at 55. I had set some goals before hand, and for the most part have been meeting them. Yes a rural setting is a great blessing, no waiting on traffic, traffic lights, parking, or anything. I still keep a journal, and it helps me to keep up with the chores and many other things Including the 481 crappie caught so far this year!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2019, 02:18 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think what MLK said might apply Brian; Free at last, free at last. IMO having one's health, a roof and 3 squares a day is the only mandatory part of retirement, the rest is gravy. My #1 passion has always been fishing with hunting 2nd. Health wise you never know what life has in store so enjoy what passions you have while you can.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:36 PM
COW 54
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Retirement has been good, 5 yrs retired.

I have enough $$ to cover the bills and then some. I'm making more NOW than I was working for a living.
It's all about how you plan it.

Life is good!

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Old 04-06-2019, 03:40 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
i retired in 2014

35 years in the commercial insurance business then 15 years building bikes for toys r us, retired at 68, 73 now and loving it. house paid for, 1997 Taurus paid for, we are comfortable. my health is decent but my wifes is not, spending a lot of time as a care giver. I love not going to work and being able to do errands during the week when most people are working. try not to go near stores on weekends, NICE !
Old 04-06-2019, 04:11 PM
jackkade

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been retired Since the end of Feb. 2011, retired at the age of 66. I"m enjoying myself, plenty of home projects to keep busy and enough time to shoot whenever I want to.
As for a pickup line, you might try this on the lady. "Do you prefer a Bolt or a Self-Loader" ?
Old 04-06-2019, 04:30 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got 5 more years to go. As much as I hate my job I would still need something part time just for some thing to do. And the extra cash wouldnít hurt. I spend too much money.
......Tom Petty
Old 04-06-2019, 04:59 PM
jerryray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I retired at 56 with a plan to make maple syrup. I did that for 7 years but it proved too difficult to sustain and make enough money so now I'm retired from that. No debts. House, land and vehicle paid for. I have been frugal my whole life so now I have a good income from my pension, investments and social security. Enough to travel a little but I like being in my home area. I have a few projects going like restoring an old wooden boat and improving the house. I like to fish and hunt and live in an area good for both. I loved my job but retirement has been much better.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:08 PM
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wife took the package when they closed her office. I retired from Big Oil with 20+ years because I was tired of the travel. Went to work for one of our clients that bought one of our plants on a 5 year deal to help them with the transition. We are very fortunate, we enjoyed life but still lived below our means. We now own everything, houses, cars and toys with no debt at all. Our health is good and without a catastrophe we should be able to continue our lifestyle into our mid 90ís.
We love retirement and wonder how we ever found time to work. Shop and shoot during the week and hang out in the pool on the weekend when working folks are about. Life is good!
Old 04-06-2019, 06:02 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I retired from my wildlife agency position at age 53. I kept on working leading a non-profit archery program I founded with some other folks. I love my work but I plan on, God willing, hanging up formal work in two years and then maybe one year as an advisor.

I would have retired about two years ago but in 2016 I had an opportunity to buy 146 acres that I've been deer hunting since about 2000. I can see it from my deck and it is adjacent to my son's 17 acres and soon my daughter and 5 grandchildren. Three more years and the farm is paid off. Zero interest, 6 year loan.

I have several hobbies; bowhunting, rimfire and air rifle shooting/hunting, model ship building (haven't done this for 20 years), and of course teaching the grand kids. I'd like to get back to fishing too.

I'm looking forward to the "buck stopping" somewhere other than me.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:54 PM
retiredsarge48
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Retired a little over eight years ago and we are both happy and content with out life. No dept, sufficient income and with relatively good health. I keep busy with shooting and other hobbies and frankly wonder how I kept up with everything around the house when I was still working. My advice to everyone, especially if you have a wife who has stuck with you is to retire as soon as you can afford it. You can't buy time and we don't know what tomorrow will bring our way.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:57 PM
Hovannes
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Retirement is like giving a squirrel nuts after he's lost all his teeth.
The National Parks Geezer Pass is a pretty good deal though.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:33 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got a chance at early retirement with a very nice package deal and took it. April first started my twenty-fourth year of retirement. I haven't regretted a minute of it.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:34 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Retirement - Getting Better

I retired five years ago at 67. The first few years were financially challenging as we needed to cover health insurance until my wife turned 65 and she did not start taking SS for till 66+. The house, vehicles, & CC were all paid off and we used Roth IRA accounts to cover the properly taxes & insurance bills.

We are now in better financial position as we are both on covered with Medicare, my wife is drawing SS, and we use the minimum IRA distribution to cover major items. This year it was new siding which should be the last of the major expenditures for the house as doors, windows, roof, garage door, driveway, furnace, A/C, & water heater have all been recently taken care of.

I did a lot of volunteer work the first few years of retirement so did not have much time for fishing, hunting, & target shooting, but am working toward changing that. It's easy to get real busy for others "since you are retired" - so now I schedule weekly time for those activities on my calendar and normally do not allow family, friends & neighbors to infringe on those scheduled activities times. Still willing to help, however it will happen on my open times.

No I do not miss working 70+ hours a week or being on-call 7 days a week.