Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:25 PM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Clark Barrel Accuracy??

There was a recent post where a defective Clark barrel was refused replacement by Clark. The accuracy was still there regardless that the chamber reaming was done poorly. The defect was found with a bore scope. That is too bad but are all Clark barrels suspect?

Apparently not, based on my older Clark barrel on my early 1990s Model 41 frame with a red dot. I shot it resting on a front only rest at 50 feet targets. Mind you I have AMD (Macular Degeneration eye problems) and I am old.

There are 20 shots per target. Id say all Clark barrels are not defective, especially older ones.

LDBennett
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-MD41 7:18.jpg (95.7 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg Md41 7:18.jpg (98.2 KB, 232 views)
Old 07-17-2018, 04:19 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice shooting!
Old 07-17-2018, 05:19 PM
Quick Draw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Quick Draw
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBennett View Post

Id say all Clark barrels are not defective, especially older ones.
I'd say that 99.9999% of Clark barrels are outstanding and well worth the money.

The posts about the defective Clark barrel are highly suspect at best.
We don't know all the facts.

Even if that one incident is true, it is the exception and not the rule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2018, 05:41 PM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you followed the post, the facts are pretty clear. The barrel was still accurate as it met Clark's accuracy spec. The travesty is not for the barrel owner but for Clark itself. They left a documented with pictures barrel with an obvious indication of poor workmanship and quality control out in the world. Now everyone who reads that post will wonder if that was a one off or the norm.

I just wanted to make it clear that Clark barrels shoot very well indeed or at least mine does. Mine is several years old and who knows about ones bought today???? Even though mine shoots well I would not buy another until I at least bore scoped my barrel to see if the norm is the bad machining.

LDBennett
Old 07-17-2018, 05:52 PM
WRF

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You folks do know that Clark doesn't make these barrels and never has from the Shreveport era until now. They profile them , chamber and crown and any other machining necessary but the bore and rifling can be Shilen or any other quality barrel maker that has changed constantly over the years. Some better than others.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:00 PM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, they start from a huge barrel blank and machine it down the outside so that the barrel is all one piece. Whoever sells them the barrel blank is responsible for the bore.

But the barrel in the previous post did not have a problem with the external machining or the bore. The problem appeared to be in the chambering which Clark does do, I assume (??).

LDBennett
Old 07-18-2018, 11:42 AM
Dddrees

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool and great shooting. Thanks for sharing as well. However since I'm a complete newbie at this do you have any with any S&W barrels?
Old 07-18-2018, 11:57 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Great shooting! I have a 5 inch (or 5.5?) Clark barrel for my Model 41. My results are similar to yours, LD.

Couldn't be happier. I was cleaning my Model 41 on Monday and wondering whether to put back on the 7-inch factory barrel. Maybe just a few more rounds with this one first. . .
Old 07-18-2018, 12:34 PM
Dddrees

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
Great shooting! I have a 5 inch (or 5.5?) Clark barrel for my Model 41. My results are similar to yours, LD.

Couldn't be happier. I was cleaning my Model 41 on Monday and wondering whether to put back on the 7-inch factory barrel. Maybe just a few more rounds with this one first. . .
So do you notice a big difference with regards to accuracy between the two?
Old 07-18-2018, 12:38 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dddrees View Post
So do you notice a big difference with regards to accuracy between the two?
Yes, but not for the reason you might think. I was shooting the 7-inch barrel with open sights. The Clark barrel comes with an integral rail for use with a red dot. I am a much more accurate shooter with a my Ultramatch, than I am with open sights. . . so, not really a fair comparison.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:04 PM
Dddrees

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
Yes, but not for the reason you might think. I was shooting the 7-inch barrel with open sights. The Clark barrel comes with an integral rail for use with a red dot. I am a much more accurate shooter with a my Ultramatch, than I am with open sights. . . so, not really a fair comparison.
Understand, hopefully I can get more comments on the apples to apples comparison between Clark and Factory barrels.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2018, 01:36 PM
Mkelcy
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dddrees View Post
Understand, hopefully I can get more comments on the apples to apples comparison between Clark and Factory barrels.

Thanks
You have. The only reason to get the Clark barrel is to mount an optic without having to drill and tap an original S&W Model 41 barrel.

My 1980 41 isn't tapped for an optic mount, so I just ordered a Clark barrel solely for the ability to mount an optic.

Like LDBennett, I'm much better with a red dot than iron sights. I've got red dots on my Sig (Hammerli) Trailside and my M87 Beretta, and shoot both of those better than any of my iron sight equipped pistols, including the 41. It's not just the inherent accuracy of the pistol, it's whether the shooter can shoot it well.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:49 PM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The only reason I got the Clark barrel is to mount a red dot on the gun as the 7 inch S&W barrel is not drilled and tapped for a scope rail. The gun is circa 1993.

If you want to see how shaky you really are just mount a red dot. You never see that shakiness with open sights. The end result is everyone shoots better with a red dot.

As a rough comparison with the the gun fully supported, I recollect the accuracy is as good or better with the Clark barrel. The barrel starts out as a Match barrel or it did when I bought mine several years back. They use to advertise whose blank it was but I no longer see that exposed in their latest web page (or did I miss it ???).

If you could not figure out if I liked the Clark barreled/Model 41 I really do like it. I have many good match grade 22LR pistols and the Model 41 is near the top of the list.

LDBennett
Old 07-18-2018, 02:08 PM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Clark, just like Kidd, gets their rifled barrel blanks from Lothar Walther out of Germany.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:39 PM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My recollection (and it may well be wrong!!) was at the time a couple years back when I bought my Clark barrel, was that the blanks were Shilen and they advertised that. Am I wrong or did they change?

I have a Lothar/Walther barrel on my varmintized AR 15 and it is excellent.

Do the original family still own Clarks? Have there been any major changes in the last few years? Just wondering.

LDBennett