Hi Standard HD Military - Sear installation help? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-22-2018, 01:40 PM
Tumerboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Standard HD Military - Sear installation help?

I recently bought a Hi Standard HD Military for a good price, because it's pretty ugly. The parts all look to be in good shape, as does the bore of the barrel, but the finish has seen better days, and I don't think anyone has ever cleaned it. The thing was filthy.

So. . . I took it apart, as I do with basically everything I own. . .

I had heard about the pitfall of the slide release, so I avoided that, and everything came apart without much fuss. I've now washed and dried and soaked everything in CLP for a bit, and am putting it all back together again. Everything has gone swimmingly until I got to the Sear.

Now I'm stuck. I've tried to get it in there, to the point of frustration, which I know is a good point to stop, so I have. I'll order up the AGI DVD if I need to, but I was hoping someone here may have done this before, and can advise on the best method?

The issue being that the main spring and plunger sick up into the area where the sear needs to go. So I have to somehow compress the mainspring while also pushing the sear into place, and there doesn't seem to be enough room for me to do those things, even with some very thin punches.

Lil help?
Old 04-22-2018, 04:23 PM
moonjohn
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There should be a small hole in the back of the frame.
You compress the spring and then put a small nail through the hole to capture the main spring.
When everything is put together, pull the nail out.
See page 26, thread "HD Military light firing pin hits" for more details.

You need to replace the driving (recoil) spring.
It is too bent up to function properly.
You need to check to see if the driving spring guide rod is straight.
A bent guide rod will damage (deform/bend) the driving spring.

Last edited by moonjohn; 04-22-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:43 PM
Tumerboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ah! the hole at the back of the frame where the web of your hand goes? That makes a ton more sense, thank you.

I have already ordered a replacement recoil spring, and will check out the rod when I get home again.

Thanks for the help, I'll report back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2018, 05:54 AM
irishbob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had same issue in stripping my new (to me) 1946 H-D recently. Yes, that method is necessary to keep the mainspring out of the way, that's the one issue I noticed and there isn't much room in there to work.

The later Victor models etc are a lot easier.... I found this to be the most complicated, yet doable, pistol to take all the way apart.

When replacing the recoil spring, I found the new one was much longer. Had to trim it to fit, which I don't like doing but had to.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:55 AM
Tumerboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the tip, that made it significantly easier, though still a little tricky to get back together. I figured I was missing some key component, so thanks!

I got everything back together last night, and while she's still ugly, at least she's clean.

The recoil rod appears to be unbent, but does have some bites (or something?) taken out of one side of it, and some rough machining on the other side.

I've got an order in with Numrich for a new recoil rod/spring, as well as a new safety screw, since the slot on mine is boogered, and a few other small parts.

Is there some secret spot to get spare mags that don't cost $75-100 like the ones on Ebay/GB?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Tumerboy; 04-23-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:48 PM
irishbob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
mags

That's the thing.... mags are crazy expensive.
https://interarmstx.com/product-cate...-parts/page/2/

This is cheapest one I found, and that's on the original HS guy's website, so try that. For now, I'm just gonna use the one mag that came with it, that looks just like yours, very bent and beat up but it works.

Many people on here will tell you to avoid Triple K mags on Numrich/Brownells because they aren't made like the originals and the mag lips will not stay true in the long run. I have two other HS pistols and have had great luck with them, and there is a small feed ramp on the H-D unlike their other pistols, so maybe there's a little more forgiveness with the mag lips. Anyway, they've worked for me. I'll hand feed one round at a time before I pay $100 for an original!
Old 04-23-2018, 09:43 PM
moonjohn
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Concerning the driving spring rod, the rod in the picture looks to be in rough shape.
If it were me, I would put the large end of the rod in a battery powered drill.
Run the drill and use a stone to knock down the surface defects.

Then I would insert the small end of the rod in the drill; turn the drill on, and observe the spinning rod for spinning true (straight).

Passing this test or not, put the old spring back on the rod.

There are 3 parts to the driving spring cavity system.
The forward part of the cavity system is about 1.4 inches long and completely encloses the spring/rod.
Then there is about 1/4 inch gap where the spring/rod is not enclosed.
Then there is about 1.1 inches where the spring/rod is enclosed by about 210 degrees of arc.

Now with the rod attached to the old spring, gently push the head of the rod back and forth across the 1/4 inch gap while slowly rotating the spring/rod assembly.
Let me know if anything interesting happens.

Additionally, since you appear to be an accomplishes photographer, would you take a close up of the large end of the driving spring rod.

Concerning Magazines:
Connecticut magazines are generally expensive, but they generally can be purchased for less than $75-$100 on e-bay.
Check the prices actually paid using the sold items listing on e-bay.

The bad news is that you may not be able to identify a genuine Connecticut finger magazine that typically came with the HD Military.
And then, has the magazine been abused in the last 70 years?

The good news.
Essentially any serviceable Connecticut magazine should work fine in your HD Military.
You don't have to restrict yourself to the Connecticut finger magazines.

Additionally, because of the presence of the feed ramp in the HD Military, you don't need a good quality magazine for it to work in the gun.

Concerning newly manufactured magazines.
I suggest that you should limit yourself to 3 choices:
Either of the 2 Texas clone companies.
Or Triple K.
I suggest you not buy any other brands.
Some are unbelievably bad, so its not worth the risk.

These 3 brands range in price from about $40 to $50.
I can't say that any of them would be better than the other.
You may want to buy 1 of each brand and decide for yourself which is better.

Additionally, I suggest you buy new magazines directly from each company so you do not get some of their old/bad designs.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:03 AM
tal35
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
parts

I would orderr my high standard parts from Interarms of Tx. Way before I would buy ANYTHING from numrich arms! You usually get the bottom of the barrel from Numrich, vs new from Interarms. I have gotten so much junk from Numrich, which I sent back and they sent me a nice part the second time around. I just think its SOP(standard operating procedure) from Numrich to send the rattiest parts unless people complain.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:02 AM
Tumerboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, you order from whatever you know of. I knew of Numrich. I did not know of Interarms.

Now I do.

Edit: though it appears that Interarms is out of stock on most of the parts I needed anyway.

Last edited by Tumerboy; 04-24-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:25 PM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HD Parts From Interarms

I think that ALL of the HD parts except for the Safety, Trigger Stop, and Early Hammer have been in continual stock for at least TWO years. Maybe 3/4 items have been in and out of stock- MAYBE. What parts do you need ???- Alan Aronstein
Old 04-24-2018, 07:15 PM
Tumerboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, I've already got an order in with numrich, which has already been shipped, so the point is rather moot at the moment.

But I was looking at the HD - Slide Lock Spring, the HD - Safety Assembly Screw, and the HD - Retracting Rod.

All on this page, all listed as Out of Stock:

https://www.highstandard.com/militar...ge=100&sort=4a
Old 04-24-2018, 07:36 PM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
???????

I am NOT High Standard !!!! - Alan Aronstein - Interarms
Old 04-24-2018, 08:04 PM
Tumerboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ah, I see my mistake. I just typed "Interarms" into the googlers.
The first result is "Interarms - High Standard" which sounded correct for what I needed. I didn't realize it was the wrong URL. Apologies.

https://www.google.com/search?q=inte...hrome&ie=UTF-8