Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Go_Ordnance
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I give up

Bought a BTVS due to the "most accurate we've tested" review, Savage's reputation, and cost.

To say this rifle has been disappointing is an understatement. I can get no better than 1/2 inch at 50 yards, and that's a rarity. Over an inch is common. I've tried different ammo, torque, scopes, bases, mounts, and rests. My Marlin shoots better with cheap bulk ammo.

I'm at my wit's end. Did I just get a lemon? Do I have to bed the action?
Old 07-21-2009, 10:08 PM
AmericanInfidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Ordnance View Post
Bought a BTVS due to the "most accurate we've tested" review, Savage's reputation, and cost.

To say this rifle has been disappointing is an understatement. I can get no better than 1/2 inch at 50 yards, and that's a rarity. Over an inch is common. I've tried different ammo, torque, scopes, bases, mounts, and rests. My Marlin shoots better with cheap bulk ammo.

I'm at my wit's end. Did I just get a lemon? Do I have to bed the action?
Do not take this as an insult but could it be the shooter, and not the gun?
Old 07-21-2009, 10:32 PM
mossyoakpenn
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Im having the same problem with mine right now. Ive tried about 15 different loads with mine ranging from cheap to really expensive and the best was CCI sub sonic HP. And even it was a little over .5 inch at 40 yards. The rest was more like 1.2 to 1.5 inches. Ive played with everything from the torque to the scope and nothings changed. Im waiting to try a different stock to see if its the bedding. It definetely not me. With my VLP .223 I average around .25" 3 shot groups at 100 yards. I dont know what to do either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Go_Ordnance
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanInfidel View Post
Do not take this as an insult but could it be the shooter, and not the gun?
That would be a fair question. To answer it, I can outshoot the Savage with an iron-sighted Marlin (levergun) from a sandbag at 50 yards (groups you could cover with a nickel). At 25 yards, I can outshoot the Savage (on a rest), with that Marlin offhand.

--edited to add--

At the range with a buddy this afternoon, I got better groups with his 10/22. It was loaded with remington value, and the savage was shooting green tags.

Last edited by Go_Ordnance; 07-21-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:05 PM
bigd9247

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i am by no means an expert but i read a lot of the posts on here and it seems like the standard response would be to tell you to check that the barrel is properly free-floated (my savage was not), check that the recoil lug is tight (some people prefer to remove it completely).

also read the second post in this thread (the one by "shooterchris") and what he says about bullets... https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=291199

again i'm no expert but hopefully some of this might help
Old 07-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Go_Ordnance
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You can easily slide an index card all the way down to the action. I'm kind of amazed at how much clearance they allowed.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:59 PM
fireman610
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know this sounds silly.. I had the same Problems w mine. I was that the locla shop ******in and Moanin about spending $$ on a new gun scope rings and ammo and it didnt shoot worth a hoot, Well one of the old timers asked what kind of gun and he asked if I had it I did. So he looked it over did a lil dremiling around the front action screw on the stock and some around the action itself and went back in back and grabbed three boxes of Golden Eagle Target(blue box)..Said come on Jr. lets go and we went to his house and Problem was solved 50 yrd 5 shots I could tightly slide a regular yellow school pencil through the hole thats with me shootin it. He shot it and did even better than I but hes retired and shoots all day anyway.
Your clearances are big because they didnt inlet the stock enough around the front action screw and around the action If you pull it out of the stock and look where the front action screw lug sits on the stock.. Chances are your gonna see a indention from that lug digging into the stock from the screw being tightened. (You want it snug but not tight whats happening if you have a good indention is the back of the action is set right but the front is cockeyed causing it to be slighty slanted upwards may not be enough to see by the naked eye but just enough to screw everyting up for ya) If ya do dremel a lil off and keep trying to fit it till it fits nice and snug. lil by lil dremel fit dremel fit and eventually you'll get her shooting where ya want her. Its a lil time consuming and lil bit of a PITA but its worth it in the long run Mine, a buddy's Dicks Sporting Goods Special,and the old man that fixed mine all had the same issue. That maybe be your problem as well worth a shot instead of scrapping the gun sellin it and losin $$ on it
Old 07-22-2009, 01:01 AM
ShelbyFan

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
And try polishing your crown.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:53 AM
docv_73
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Send a message via Yahoo to docv_73
Something is amiss. Before you say you tried different ammo, don't give up on that search. Mine will do a little under 1 inch at 50 yards with cheap bulk stuff, in fact with almost anything. CCI minimag HP are about that same size, BUT by switching to CCI minimag SOLID POINTS instead of HP, it groups well under 1/2 inch 5 shot groups at 50 yards. I just bought several different types of match grade stuff to play with too.

The next thing I would check is the scope focus and paralax. If the focus and paralax is adjustable, do the following...

Set the paralax to it's lowest setting. Place a white piece of posterboard (something white and SMOOTH with no texture) about 2 fet in front of the scope, close your eyes, then turn the adjustment knob at least 2 complete revolutions to make sure the reticle is way out of focus. Now look through the scope while ensuring proper shooting position and eye relief, and slowly dial it in, until the reticle is crisp and clearly focused. Then, when on the range, ignore the numbers on the paralax dial, they are to get you in the ballpark, adjust the paralax until the target and reticle are both perfectly focused at the same time (in the same focal plane) then shoot. If the paralax is off, it can cause the pattern to scatter. See if that helps.

Otherwise have the barrel and crown checked by a gunsmith.

Last option, is to send it to me. Free of charge I will hold on to it and severely punish it by repeatedly taking it out to shoot, thousands of rounds if necessary, for the trouble it has caused you.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:31 AM
Go_Ordnance
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks fireman. I'll give that a try.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:38 AM
Go_Ordnance
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyFan View Post
And try polishing your crown.
Momma told me that'll make you go blind.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:41 AM
justintimesc
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm having the same problem you are I know your frustration. Read my thread on savage accuracy. I;ve gotten some good advice but so far nothing is helped. However I haven't heard about the stock fit being improper. I'll try this next.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:21 AM
bandg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The weaver mounts on mine were loose from the factory. Took the scope off and tightened them up. I checked all other screws at same time. One more thing to examine.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:59 AM
blkwollf
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
96% (54)
[QUOTE=Go_Ordnance;2489610] I can outshoot the Savage with an iron-sighted Marlin (levergun) from a sandbag at 50 yards (groups you could cover with a nickel). At 25 yards, I can outshoot the Savage (on a rest), with that Marlin offhand.

In your first post, you stated that your gun [the savage] was shooting "groups of a-half/inch! In the above statement, your groups are the size of a 'Nickel' !! A "HALF-INCH" group is 'SMALLER' than a "NICKEL-SIZE" group!! Also, FWIW, how many rounds have you shoot thru the savage?? If it's anywere near 'Less than 500-1000' rds;... Then the gun's 'NOT' even broken in yet!!! Put Some 'Ammo' thru it + after awhile,.. I think You'll start to see the Groups Tighten' up more!!

[By the Way;..1/2" groups at 50yrds is pretty good Shooting for an 'UN/Seasoned 'gun]
Old 07-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Go_Ordnance
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To reiterate and/or clarify:
The Savage will occasionally shoot a 1/2" group. That's the exception and not the rule. Usually it flings rounds in a 2" group.
The Marlin (from a bag) will regularly shoot groups you can cover with a nickel.

I've put enough different brands through the Savage to eliminate that being an issue. If there is one particular brand out there that is the only one it will shoot (and I just haven't found it), then the gun is crap.

With the exception of a couple of rounds from a clean barrel needing shot first; I don't buy off on seasoning, 2000 rounds and then it's good, or other nonsense. Out of the box, it's either a shooter or it's not. It doesn't magically get there.