Ants

Artificial Sweetener (pink packet ) works wonderfully
Old 06-16-2021, 09:08 PM
Etpm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
It seems that every time a company makes a good product for killings ants, tree huggers of some kind get it removed from the market.

My mom used to get this "Ant & Roach Killing Chalk" from Black Flag. You would draw a circle around a hole, or a line along a seam raging with ants. In an hour, there would be a lot of dead ants, and some laying there kicking, and others still just stumbling around like they were drunk. After 2 hours, they were all dead. It stayed effective for a very long time too.

I used to get "Diazanon Crystals" that I think were made by Ortho. Sprinkle some around the area that had a concentration of ants, and all were gone in a couple hours. This also lasted a pretty long time.

The junk in spray cans requires you to hit every ant you want to kill, and it seems to quit working as soon as it dries. Pretty expensive and ineffective by comparison.

What "good stuff" is available today without needing some kind of exterminator license? I hate those darn things! Thanks for your suggestions.
Please, can we dispense the political posts? The phrase "tree hugger" is obviously political and disparaging. Just quit it. Please.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:15 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etpm View Post
Please, can we dispense the political posts? The phrase "tree hugger" is obviously political and disparaging. Just quit it. Please.
What about gun loonies? Al wondered chucklingly to himself.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:15 AM
schutzen-jager
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Ed's red !
Old 06-17-2021, 09:17 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
another question

Thanks for the suggestions.

I was hoping there might be a good ready-to-use product instead of needing to mix from a concentrate, but it is what it is. As long as it's effective and lasts for a while, I can work with it.

So what's the deal with the winged ants? Are they the queens, or maybe another species? They seem to be in the same areas as the non-winged types and they just aren't mentioned in the DIY ant extermination guides.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:39 AM
Bottom Gun

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrowdave View Post
Artificial Sweetener (pink packet ) works wonderfully
I've found Splenda in the yellow packet to work well on fire ants. It works far better than any commercial product I've tried.
For the larger red or black ants, Amdro works best for me.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:10 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kinda scary that the best ant poison is supposedly safe for human consumption.

Sent from my LM-X220 using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2021, 11:26 AM
lonestardiver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rodents love Amdro, I have found bags in my shop with holes that mice have chewed through the Mylar bag and would crawl inside to gorge themselves. It wouldn’t kill them though. The bait is soy based hence the draw for mice as well as ants.
Old 06-17-2021, 01:51 PM
Kestrel4k

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
[...] it seems to quit working as soon as it dries. Pretty expensive and ineffective by comparison.
Sounds like a win for the mfr.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:57 AM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

I was hoping there might be a good ready-to-use product instead of needing to mix from a concentrate, but it is what it is. As long as it's effective and lasts for a while, I can work with it.

So what's the deal with the winged ants? Are they the queens, or maybe another species? They seem to be in the same areas as the non-winged types and they just aren't mentioned in the DIY ant extermination guides.
https://www.griffinpest.com/blog/flying-ants-fall/ (Flying Ants)

Every warm fall day when the Winged Ants appear the seagulls here eat them in flight, often changing their direction in order to gulp each one down.

Flickers also like eating ants on the ground next to a nest, probably why a Cooper was easily able to nab one the other day. Not that I don't like Raptors, just wish they'd eat more Robins! Robins out number Flickers about a Million to One by me! And Robins eat Strawberries. Flickers don't! Plus a Flicker's Cool Lookin.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:14 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Old 06-23-2021, 01:19 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
https://www.griffinpest.com/blog/flying-ants-fall/ (Flying Ants)

Every warm fall day when the Winged Ants appear the seagulls here eat them in flight, often changing their direction in order to gulp each one down.

Flickers also like eating ants on the ground next to a nest, probably why a Cooper was easily able to nab one the other day. Not that I don't like Raptors, just wish they'd eat more Robins! Robins out number Flickers about a Million to One by me! And Robins eat Strawberries. Flickers don't! Plus a Flicker's Cool Lookin.
Good link NIB. I haven't seen them here in Arvada yet but they'll be coming out shortly TE. Winged males and females looking to hook up and start new colonies.

This is an interesting thread for me because we had a major ant infestation early this year. I bought sprays and traps and granules and fought them tooth and nail for several months. I'd seem to make headway and then they'd come back stronger.

Finally broke down and called an exterminator (Berrett Pest Control) and they came out and did some light spraying and put out traps inside and sprayed and put granules outside. For $158 I wasn't too impressed until my wife messaged me a week later and said our upstairs looked like an ant grave yard there were so many dead ones on the floor. Whatever they used worked like a champ.

I bookmarked some of the links posted here in case they come back. I wasn't at all impressed with the stuff I bought at Home Depot and from Amazon.

Frank
Old 06-23-2021, 01:26 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Get yourself a pet Ant Eater..I hear they work good.
Old 06-23-2021, 01:37 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Boarx mixed with sugar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk