Stingers- just what can they be shot through? - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-16-2021, 10:37 AM
fewfeathers
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

When Stingers first came out, I had two experiences that caused me to never use them again. First, I shot a rabbit at about 20' using a 10/22. I hit it in the shoulder. The bullet was so destructive the hind legs were all that was useful. Next, using a Colt S/A, 4/58" bbl. I jumped a coon. First two shots were behind ribcage angled toward off side shoulder. As I ran him down, he stopped to fight back. As he reared up, I shot him in the chest. He reared up again, I shot him in the chest a second time. He ran again. I chased. I shot him twice more. Both shots were at a steep angle between his shoulders. These should have broken his spine. Now with an empty gun, I managed to knock him out with my flashlight. I loaded a standard .22 and shot him in the head. That ended him. As I skinned him, I was brokenhearted. All six Stingers entered on a trajectory that that would have been fatal. Each penetrated the hide and was deflected by the layer of fat and traveled some destance under the skin. If he'd escaped, he would have thrived with little more than some discomfort and a bad memory.
After a little research, which I should have done before, I found the high velocity was achieved by light bullet and slow burning powder. They need a long barrel to work.
I have never used them since.
Old 06-16-2021, 12:14 PM
NIB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Two interesting entries here involving hand guns and Stingers.

A Ruger MarkII test showing increased force imparted by the cartridges.
And your Colt SA showing less than desirable results on a coon.
Perhaps the cylinder gap leakage reduced the Stingers effectiveness?
Old 06-16-2021, 01:20 PM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Simply put the manufacturer has listed what types of ammo to use or not use in the owners manual. They have done this for a reason and I consider this a good reason to only shoot what is recommended. Those that choose to not follow those recommendations are doing it with any consequences on them and not the gun or ammo manufacture.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:41 PM
Gatorhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stinger haters explain this. They are basically a Stinger 2.0 for hand guns it say Hand guns not revolvers. It's up to you to use or not to use Stingers or Punch but don't be telling other not to use just because you don't like them. I'm done here think I'll go out and shoot a few Stingers now.

https://www.federalpremium.com/rimfi...11-PD22L1.html
Old 06-16-2021, 02:46 PM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stingers in a 10/22 with a nylon buffer will cause less damage than mini mags or SV when the rifle still has its factory buffer.
Apples and oranges??
Old 06-16-2021, 10:44 PM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
Just read about it. My 10-22 was fine until I swapped the barrel. Now my Shaw barrel says no to hyper's.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:34 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tested Stingers today out of my Walther P 22. I was very impressed by the report and the large fireball that came out of my gun. Accuracy is very good and if I want to carry my P 22 in my pocket I think I've found the right5 fodder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_7503_0175.jpg (103.2 KB, 119 views)
Old 06-17-2021, 01:30 AM
Gatorhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
I tested Stingers today out of my Walther P 22. I was very impressed by the report and the large fireball that came out of my gun. Accuracy is very good and if I want to carry my P 22 in my pocket I think I've found the right5 fodder.
Check out the Federal Punch 22lr then check the specs on both Punch & Stingers.
Old 06-17-2021, 01:47 AM
fewfeathers
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
Two interesting entries here involving hand guns and Stingers.

A Ruger MarkII test showing increased force imparted by the cartridges.
And your Colt SA showing less than desirable results on a coon.
Perhaps the cylinder gap leakage reduced the Stingers effectiveness?
I've never had a problem killing coons shooting revolvers with SV round nose .22s
The cylinder gap has very little influence on velocity unless there is heavy build up on the forcing cone and/or poor cylinder timing. Neither was the case with that Colt.
I think the major contributor was the bullet weight and construction. Even with a rifle, I don't think they would be effective on a coon. I'm not willing to try it.
As far as excessive bolt thrust, there can be several factors that don't mean higher bullet velocity. Forcing the longer case into a target chamber, carbon ring, weak recoil spring. None of these will make the bullet go faster.
I don't have anything against Stingers. My bad experience was a result of my ignorance. They are dandy for destroying smaller pests. They just don't suit my needs. And they remind me that I tortured a living creature before killing it.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:32 AM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
When you get a chance, shoot it at night. Awesome.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:59 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
Such Ignorance!

I bought a CASE of Stingers and love them for blowing up crows, prairie dogs, and other vermin. And I've been using them since they first came out with the "Penta Point" hollow points. But I'm smart enough to know that hyper velocity ammo DOES send semi-auto bolts/slides back MUCH harder, and that they DO create cumulative damage. I learned to reserve Stingers for locked breech weapons.

A guy over on Ruger Forum recently had to have his SR22 replaced because much less than 1000 Stingers destroyed it.

I ran an actual test on a Ruger Mark2 pistol. I made a buffer from a hard rubber pad and a thin metal cap. After 150 Mini Mags, the buffer was fine (left side in below pictures). Then after 25 Stingers, the buffer was destroyed (right side in pics).

Top View:

Side View:

The metal cap shows the bolt's firing pin channel in relief, like stamping a coin at the mint.

So you can produce your proof that Stingers don't cause damage, or stop spreading the misinformation that they're safe to use in every semi-auto. Just because they haven't busted yours in half doesn't mean you know what you're talking about.
So you make a soft pad on a buffer to prove that a stinger slides the slide back with more force. I think we all know that. The question, or debate should I say...is whether or not they cause damage. I havent seen any proof that this "theory" is true. Before the shortage thats all i'd run in my 10/22 and I had zero issues...So wheres the proof? Not "o, my buddy this, or my buddy that". Proof? And just so you know, I've seen guns damaged with regular HV ammo....its called...a defective gun. It happens. But look, keep not buying stingers...I'll keep buying them...more for me.
Old 06-17-2021, 01:57 PM
Gatorhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fewfeathers View Post
When Stingers first came out, I had two experiences that caused me to never use them again. First, I shot a rabbit at about 20' using a 10/22. I hit it in the shoulder. The bullet was so destructive the hind legs were all that was useful. Next, using a Colt S/A, 4/58" bbl. I jumped a coon. First two shots were behind ribcage angled toward off side shoulder. As I ran him down, he stopped to fight back. As he reared up, I shot him in the chest. He reared up again, I shot him in the chest a second time. He ran again. I chased. I shot him twice more. Both shots were at a steep angle between his shoulders. These should have broken his spine. Now with an empty gun, I managed to knock him out with my flashlight. I loaded a standard .22 and shot him in the head. That ended him. As I skinned him, I was brokenhearted. All six Stingers entered on a trajectory that that would have been fatal. Each penetrated the hide and was deflected by the layer of fat and traveled some destance under the skin. If he'd escaped, he would have thrived with little more than some discomfort and a bad memory.
After a little research, which I should have done before, I found the high velocity was achieved by light bullet and slow burning powder. They need a long barrel to work.
I have never used them since.
Nice try but no cigar. I use Stingers for pest control on the farm and have killed many large coons with a single Stinger so I know better.
Old 06-17-2021, 04:46 PM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfxguy View Post
So you make a soft pad on a buffer to prove that a stinger slides the slide back with more force. I think we all know that. The question, or debate should I say...is whether or not they cause damage. I havent seen any proof that this "theory" is true. Before the shortage thats all i'd run in my 10/22 and I had zero issues...So wheres the proof? Not "o, my buddy this, or my buddy that". Proof? And just so you know, I've seen guns damaged with regular HV ammo....its called...a defective gun. It happens. But look, keep not buying stingers...I'll keep buying them...more for me.
He should have run his test with nylon.
Hard rubber in most cases will certainly come apart. Buffers should be made of material that can take a licking and keep on ticking. I personally make my own with 1/4" nylon bolts.
And, my wife shoots stingers by the hundreds in her 10/22 and her buffer looks almost pristine.
Alas, she has only one box left.
But, I've been buying velocitors and Aguila super maximum.
Those will have to do.
Old 06-17-2021, 06:35 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have about a brick or more of HP and segmenting. I don't really care for them. I shoot them in my single shot and bolt action. I usually avoid hyper in my semi autos. A neighbor likes to use them on potguts/ground squirrels which are a nuisance. Pest control. Too much damage on something you want to eat and not that accurate. I think the 29 grain bullets need a slower twist.
A lot of people tout them as a self defense round in handguns but they are the worst choice for that. 40 grain SV performs better.
Old 06-17-2021, 06:47 PM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I have about a brick or more of HP and segmenting. I don't really care for them. I shoot them in my single shot and bolt action. I usually avoid hyper in my semi autos. A neighbor likes to use them on potguts/ground squirrels which are a nuisance. Pest control. Too much damage on something you want to eat and not that accurate. I think the 29 grain bullets need a slower twist.
A lot of people tout them as a self defense round in handguns but they are the worst choice for that. 40 grain SV performs better.
Yeah, I carry mini mags both solid and hollow point depending on whats on top in my ammo box.