Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-11-2021, 06:07 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

the world of work is highly over rated.

As the famous saying goes "no one wishes they spent more time in the office on their deathbed"

I always thought ambition is for losers.

in that most people climb the career ladder only to end up with excess income which they spend on frivolities such as luxury cars and holidays, they then over commit to having a large house and financially paint themselves into a corner, and all just to "keep up with the Jones'"

The only career that was ever important to me is shooting, Family and Friends, so long as I can pay the bills and buy ammo I have all I need.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:03 AM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I retired for real on April 2 this year at age 67. I was planning to maybe work until year's end but the Pandemic caused me to pull the plug.

I spent age 23-53 as a wildlife biologist in IN, KS, MO, and ended up as an director in Kentucky. When I retired from that on March 1, 2007 I became full-time CEO of the non-profit I founded.

I continue big game bowhunting, this will my 51st season. Also love to squirrel hunt. I love to woodwork. Just finished making my daughter's family a trestle farmhouse table and benches for their soon to be finished house, that I can see through the woods off the back deck of my rural home.

Paid off my 150 acre hunting property (which is out my back door) 30 days after retiring.

Planning to take some golf lessons to see what all that fuss is about.

My daughter and son's families (5 grandsons) live adjacent to the farm. I'm mentoring my son-in-law (Air Force retiree and Mill Wright), my daughter and the grand kids (all 10 and under) in shooting and hunting.

Plenty to do. If it weren't for Sunday AM church I would lose track of what day of the week it is. God & Family.

I don't regret a day I worked, but I don't miss any of it either.

Last edited by bowwild; 06-11-2021 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:33 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Sounds like your plan is coming together, congratulations...
Old 06-11-2021, 12:52 PM
whiplash

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolfe View Post
When the homeowner stuff is caught up, thinking I'll look for a rural place to move to with space to shoot and a small shop to tinker in. Maybe I'll even find a lady friend to join me, but probably need a better introduction line than "what do you know about raising chickens".

So what do all the geezers here have to say about retirement?
Please let me know if she catches your drift about being a free range rooster? I like the question myself. It could lead to many places.

Most/all people would like more money for retirement. It would be hard for me to go back after these seven years. If I had to I could as I try to make the best of many situations. Living inexpensively has saved me so far (except for RFC habit).
Old 06-11-2021, 03:35 PM
RJF22553
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Proud retired geezer at the ripe old age of 59 (Dec 2011). Would have continued working when I was laid off, but I'd gotten spoiled with 100% telecommuting in a field I was an expert in, working 32 hours/week. Pay had been good, but we lost our contract and everything else available required a 65-mile commute to the DC area. At that point, I decided to retire and spend time with my beloved wife and our dogs and our horses and our barn cats. Absolutely zero regrets.

Things were financially semi-tight until SS came in at age 62, but I had Army retirement to cover me for a bit and gobs of company stock options I cashed in in the interim - I maxxed out in 401K and Employee stock options over the years. Still haven't dipped into my 401K (converted into an IRA) and now, between my Army retirement pay, SS for me and my wife, her annuity and "community property" payments, we're set, with monthly income typically more than our expenses. Helps that we paid off the farm so there is no mortgage and both cars are fully paid off.

It wasn't easy getting to this point, with numerous sacrifices along the way - few "vacations" and other extravagant expenses along the way. Our vacations were time spent with our critters, loving on them, and everything I was capable of doing was invested in the Employee Stock Option withholdings and matching 401K. If you don't see them in your bank account, they just grow! The cashing in of the employee stock paid for my 6,000SF shop and our farm.

We're not particularly "rich", but "comfortable" in our lives, with the capacity to sometimes help our loved ones out when they really need it.

I don't miss work at all, but it was great while it lasted, with great pay and working conditions (100% telecommuting) way back before it was a thing... This is the reward I worked a lifetime for and am glad to be living it.
Old 06-11-2021, 06:38 PM
JEC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post
the world of work is highly over rated.
We clearly run in different circles; I don't know anybody who rates it all that highly.
Old 06-12-2021, 04:43 AM
e40
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The day I retired from my career, I started in another job related to what I was doing without all the liability. If I can make it another four and half years, I will have another pension and will retire for good.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:08 AM
GreggieBoy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I retired a day after I turned 60. It has been almost a year now. My income dropped significantly but we planned for it. I had maxed out my allowed contributions to what was called "Deferred Compensation". Each year I contributed to the limit. My last year it resulted in a 21% withholding. Not having that money at hand really helped prepare us for the drop in income.

My last 3 years working there were not very pleasant. My supervisor was sketchy at best - he liked gossip and game playing more than just getting the work done. Our manager acted like a teenage girl. It just became too much and I wanted to get out. When the pandemic started they had 4 of us in a 300 sq. ft. room, no safe guards, no protocols. (Those two were very safe and comfortable in their individual offices). I proposed rotating two of us in the office, two working from home. That went over like horse poop in the punch bowl. They let us because I had spoken up and they knew I'd go to the union since they let the entire software group work from home 100% of the time. I retired quietly. On my last day I told the other guy I was going out for a walk and not coming back. Driving out of the parking lot I paid for monthly, I dropped off my placard at the parking company and went home. It was a simple thing but it meant so much.

I was retired almost two months before one of my daughters had her first child, our first grandchild. Since then helping watch him has become my full time job.

I still get to shoot on the weekends some times. I'd like to be doing more but we're still locked down tight, many aren't vaccinated and I still am concerned about exposing the little guy to anything I might be around if I'm out and about. We would both like to travel but it's just not in the cards for the next couple of years as we are committed to watching our grandchild.

I miss a few people from work so I keep in touch with them. Don't miss the work because like I said it was unpleasant and unrewarding the last few years.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:06 AM
dlong

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My plan is out at 65. Thatís the plan anyway. My wife is one year behind me. Work sucks ever since the owners sold to a large company. They were in their mid 60ís with no one to leave the company to. New company cut 30% of the staff. The timing was great for some as everyone got a weeks pay for every year they were there. Plus with all the Covid unemployment bennies, it was great for some. I was not one of the lucky ones and they kept me on. Would have been nice to take a year off after 40 straight years of work. So now I have 2 more years if I can make it. Maxing out 401k plus cash in brokerage account. Trying to pack away as much as possible for the next 2 years. Still spend like a drunken sailor but thatís OK. I really should practice scaling down, maybe next year. Would like to do some improvements on the house before a part of the income goes away. My financial advisor says Iíll be fine. Retirement planning is not for sissies. I keep on telling my kids to take advantage of any plans their company offers. The most powerful financial tool is time and compounding. Money is like rabbits, it just multiplies. I think they get it.

Kudos to those who planned for a good retirement and are living their dream.
......Tom Petty
Old 06-12-2021, 12:26 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggieBoy View Post
I retired quietly. On my last day I told the other guy I was going out for a walk and not coming back.
I like your style.

Some years back I quit a company and modeled my resignation letter after Richard Nixon's...

Old 06-12-2021, 07:00 PM
GreggieBoy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks. Like President Nixon's letter.

Not missing work one bit. In fact enjoying all the things I have been missing out on. During the last year especially all the projects assigned felt like they were intended for me to fail. No support, very little help, and any questions were answered via email. Yeah getting out when I did let me miss out on several tedious tasks that always landed on me. Made me smile knowing that it landed on those above me because I wasn't there to do them.

For those who are thinking about pulling the pin, pay off what you can. Get used to spending less and keep maxing out your 401K. It makes it a lot easier getting used to not having as much money on hand, readily available for spending. It really helped me putting the money away because it felt like a was doing something for a purpose. Working towards a goal.

When the Warden retired (two years before me) she got stuck in this "we can't spend anything" groove. It made dealing with work more difficult and depressing. We weren't spending crazy to begin with. Once she lightened up it made life much more pleasant.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:41 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I spent 42 years in the teaching profession...much of that as science chair and as a biology instructor. I loved teaching and interacting with the kids and coworkers. But I retired in 2009...politics in the school administration had a bit to do with that, but I figured I had done my dues.

My dad passed away in 2006 and left the family farm and over 100 head of cattle. I decided to assume responsibilities for maintaining the farm to help support my mom and allow her to continue living in the family home. She is turning 93 and is still there.

I enjoyed teaching, but I have really enjoyed retirement and working on the farm with the cattle. Funny thing, I had zero interest in the cattle until my dad passed away. One of my big regrets is that I didn't take an interest in them while he was still alive and active. I have plenty to do, but I do pretty much as I please each day (including checking in with RFC), get enough work to keep me from getting bored and stay in shape, and can shoot when and where I please. I spend a lot of time entertaining grandkids. Life is good; I'm going to turn 74 and still enjoying good health. Wife and I are approaching our 54th anniversary. We have been very blessed!
Old 06-13-2021, 08:32 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
I'm going to turn 74 and still enjoying good health. Wife and I are approaching our 54th anniversary. We have been very blessed!
Indeed!
Old 06-15-2021, 01:06 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Retirement is not far away for me. I'll be 65 this January and am now working on applying for Medicare. I'm not in a big hurry to retire since my employer is paying me good money to do something I rather enjoy. Still, I can hear Father Time at times reminding me that I do indeed have an expiration date. I am enjoying taking my camping van out to National Forests for some solitude and would like to find a small camping trailer that I can tow for some more creature comfort. I'm not a Nomad since I like living in my house with my wife, but definitely want to take many long trips across our great country.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:31 PM
sethpa
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Retired first of the year at 68. Enjoying weekday camping and home on the weekends when the campgrounds are packed full. And it's cheaper..

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk