Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-11-2021, 07:32 PM
Billburrfan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1906 not firing, any advice?

Hi all, I have a project model 1906 and I also have a fully functional pre war 62. It was missing an extractor and needed a new trigger when I bought it. I bought the parts and installed them and took it to the range to test it. The bullets cycled with each pump and the trigger worked great, but when the hammer hit the bullets I couldn’t get them to fire. I checked the firing pin and it looks to be in good shape and protrudes out the same distance as my model 62 so I’m thinking the worn spot on the barrel is the culprit. Attached are close ups of the barrel inside the receiver.

Any opinions? Is this worn grove causing it to not fire? If so, what can be done to fix this? Or should I take another look at the firing pin?
Old 06-12-2021, 08:35 AM
joe45c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yeah i think that could be your problem. My 1890 has nice smooth chamber face. And yours looks pretty rough. The case needs to be crushed to ignite the primer material. Also to see is your hammer is hitting the case hard enough. Maybe the hammer flat spring is old. I'm not sure what can be done. Maybe some material can be added to fill in the groove in your chamber face.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:04 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
New barrel is probably your best choice. Cause taking out the barrel , recutting the face and chamber and relining it probably will cost as much or more.

Or you could bubba it with JB Weld or similar product. It won last , but you can keep on doing it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2021, 09:49 AM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are several approaches to fix your problem. You could buy a barrel liner and tools and reline the whole barrel or just use a shorter piece of liner to counterbore, repair, and ream the chamber area. If you don't have the tools or don't want to do the work yourself, it will cost anywhere from $300 to $500. Here are some links to liner suppliers:
Track of the Wolf Liners Price List
Brownells Redmans Liners Page

You can usually find compatible new and used 1890/1906/62/62A barrels on Ebay and from suppliers like Homestead Parts, Numrich, etc.

Homestead used to offer brand new reproduction 1906 barrels complete with proper Winchester roll stamps. There don't seem to be any of those in stock right now, but here's a link to their new model 62A barrel:
Winchester 62A new barrel
Their used 1906 barrels are listed here:
Winchester 1906 new and used parts
Old 06-12-2021, 09:54 AM
2152hq

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The notch cut into the face of the bbl is the problem. Nothing to support the front side of the rim of the case at the point where the firing pin strikes the back side.

A decent gunsmith can remove the bbl. Then cut a small dovetailed area from the 12 oclock position in the face of the bbl to remove that V slot.
Make a small piece of steel to fit that dovetail. It can be soldered or even LockTite into place as well.
Then the excess carefully trimmed off. That gets you back to a new flat surface at the breech.

It can all be handled with simple hand tools, files, ect.
Taking the bbl off can be stubborn sometimes and the need for a solid vise and wrench set up is necessary to avoid a bent frame.
But it can be done in a home gunsmithing atmosphere with some plans and thought before using a big wrench and an even bigger hammer.

You could also take the bbl off and reline the bore. But the liner will not completely cover the large V cut all the way to the edge of the bbl. The liner is not the same dia as the bbl obviously. though it will give you an edge/ flat surface for the cartridge to sit against.

A new or used replacement bbl is always an option. There are usually used take off bbls around and there were/are? some repro bbls made.

A lot depends on what you want to spend, how much work you can do yourself or have to pay to get done,, and who you have available that can do any of the work.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:49 PM
Billburrfan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks all, looks like I’ll have to re line the barrel some time in the future. In the mean time, I did put some jb weld in the groove and let it sit the recommended time. The gun fired one shot and I got excited until the next ten tries produced nothing. I’ll file out the jb weld and try again (nothing to lose) and see if I get lucky and maybe buy some time before I need to take it to a gun smith for reclining. I have the model 62 I can shoot so no rush on this one. But I do hate having such a fun gun collect dust in my safe.
Old 06-13-2021, 03:08 AM
Ken Campbell, Ia

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
for this use, Devcon steel filled epoxy would probably work better ... but it costs about $50 per can ... so next choice is to counterbore the breech about 1/4 inch deep and glue in a bushing and rechamber .. this could be done without removing the barrel .. good luch.