Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-30-2021, 06:41 AM
steverl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New question re: H&R Reising M65

Hello again. I have six other very nice rifles and a very nice revolver. For some reason I've become fixated on my M65. I've been working on her a lot lately and I enjoy it (most of the time). I have one technical question and one not-so-technical question. Historical perhaps? The first, I seem to have the majority of the bugs worked out of this rifle but I have run into one problem. I tore the rear sight apart to clean it. Filthy to say the least. Any way I decided to sight it in. Took some time (not even hitting paper at twenty-five yards. Finally got her on paper and I've got some nice groups except for the fact that she still shoots about three inches higher than POA and my rear sight is adjusted as low as she'll go. What are my options?
Second question can be a challenge. How can I tell if I have an original stock on this rifle? I know. A little windy in my brain with this baby but I'm looking for answers. Thanks all.
BTW. The Barrel and action are consistent with the USMC issued rifle and the serial number is 9623. I've posted pictures of her recently but I'll post new ones.

Last edited by steverl; 05-30-2021 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Entered M64 when it should be M65
Old 05-30-2021, 06:57 AM
steverl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here are some new photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1622375709292.jpg (489.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg image_1622375735935.jpg (507.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg image_1622375792992.jpg (500.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg image_1622375832711.jpg (457.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-30-2021, 06:59 AM
steverl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
And a couple more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1622375918174.jpg (506.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg image_1622375952201.jpg (499.7 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2021, 07:52 AM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverl View Post
Hello again. I have six other very nice rifles and a very nice revolver. For some reason I've become fixated on my M65. I've been working on her a lot lately and I enjoy it (most of the time). I have one technical question and one not-so-technical question. Historical perhaps? The first, I seem to have the majority of the bugs worked out of this rifle but I have run into one problem. I tore the rear sight apart to clean it. Filthy to say the least. Any way I decided to sight it in. Took some time (not even hitting paper at twenty-five yards. Finally got her on paper and I've got some nice groups except for the fact that she still shoots about three inches higher than POA and my rear sight is adjusted as low as she'll go. What are my options?
Second question can be a challenge. How can I tell if I have an original stock on this rifle? I know. A little windy in my brain with this baby but I'm looking for answers. Thanks all.
BTW. The Barrel and action are consistent with the USMC issued rifle and the serial number is 9623. I've posted pictures of her recently but I'll post new ones.
I believe that you are shooting to close, unless your front sight has been messed with. Need a picture of the front sight. My 65's are sighted for 50 yards and shoot to point of aim (POA) at that range.

With the serial number of your rifle, I would say it is a civilian model. USMC S/N's are from 1-6000 as I understand it. I have a S/N 33XX that is USMC and S/N 88XX that is not. Both have stocks without grip caps.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:10 AM
steverl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you for replying. This is a neat rifle and she shoots nice groups. Haven’t shot her at fifty yet. I’ll give it a whirl. Not quitting on her even if she is a civilian model. Still has history behind her.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:55 AM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverl View Post
Thank you for replying. This is a neat rifle and she shoots nice groups. Havenít shot her at fifty yet. Iíll give it a whirl. Not quitting on her even if she is a civilian model. Still has history behind her.
Very nice rifles. The first one that I had was a gift from a friend and came with three magazines (originals). It is the S/N 88XX civilian model. The USMC (S/N 33XX) I found in the local gun shop. It was all rusty and had a scope mounted on it. What really made me notice it, was the fact the front sight was on upside down. Looked over the rifle and thought "Parts Bin" for my other rifle if needed. They sold it to me for $50.00 OTD. Cleaned it up and it looked better and took it to the range, it shot very well. So it is a keeper, especially since the S/N falls in the right block.

If you were not aware, some of the Marlin magazines fit the H&R 65. I have a couple that I use to save wear & tear on the originals.
Old 06-01-2021, 09:33 AM
steverl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes. My rifle came with two H&R ten round magazines and one Marlin magazine. Shoots very well with all three.