Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-22-2021, 05:11 PM
bobjd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I tried to contact dokey about the trigger modification, but didn't hear back from him. Then it turned out the 52D prone rifle I bought already had the Kenyon-style trigger mod done, and since my other two 52s have also had this done by Karl himself, I didn't try again. I didn't know that he was making the Vianni-style scope mount though - will try to PM him here if I can find one of the posts he's replied to. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!
Dokey does make the Vianni style scope mount. It looks good.
Old 05-30-2021, 01:41 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjd View Post
Thanks for the reply. If I see one of his reply's I will try to PM him.
Did you PM dokey?
Old 05-31-2021, 08:40 AM
Rick H.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just for grins, I bought one of the EGW steel rails for the M52. As most know, these mount on the barrel in place of the rear sight block. I sent the EGW rail to a friend that has a CNC mill and he is going to increase the radius of the mount to match the radius of the rear receiver and I will turn the mount around and screw it to the receiver instead of the barrel. Should be an interesting result one way or another.

Rick H.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:07 PM
bobjd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc69 View Post
Did you PM dokey?
Yes I did. Received a nice reply and he is still making them.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:12 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjd View Post
Yes I did. Received a nice reply and he is still making them.
Pete makes a good product. A Viani style mount can not be beat for stability.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:57 AM
flatlander

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also got an email reply from dokey (Pete) to a question about the availability of his version of the Viani mount. Will be sending him a check today to get another one after I pulled the Viani unit off a CMP 52D I've had since 2005, and moved it over to another CMP 52D in a very nice Doan Trevor prone stock.

I've thought about looking for a Lyman Super Targetspot scope for the rifle I've had for so long, so I'd have a kind of 'retro' looking original 52D target rifle, and might still do so. But I've grown so accustomed to the ease of shooting with more modern scopes like the Weaver T24 that I had on that rifle before robbing its Viani mount for the other one - and one of dokey's mounts is considerably less expensive than a period scope like the Lyman, or even more expensive Unertl.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:26 AM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
If you can find a Lyman SuperTargetSpot that is in good shape and reasonable then I would buy it. I have four Lyman SuperTargetSpot's , I find them more to my liking than the Unertl's. Have sold all the Unertl's I had except my Unertl Tube Sights. My Lyman STS's are great scopes, have two each 25X and 20X . Like the commercial says "Try it, you'll like it!"

I like the STS's mounted on the barrel that my Viani mount is stored away in my scope ring box.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:16 AM
flatlander

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a 52C with Lyman 20x STS about 25yrs ago - it came in a Freeland shooters box with single shot adapter, couple of 5rd & 10rd mags, shooting gloove, and IIRC, a sling. Was just married, and got in a bit of a financial bind, so sold it to a fellow shooter. Have regretted selling it ever since...but I did enjoy shooting with the STS.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:32 AM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I bought a 52C with Lyman 20x STS about 25yrs ago - it came in a Freeland shooters box with single shot adapter, couple of 5rd & 10rd mags, shooting gloove, and IIRC, a sling. Was just married, and got in a bit of a financial bind, so sold it to a fellow shooter. Have regretted selling it ever since...but I did enjoy shooting with the STS.
I bought the STS's as a hedge against the time when Iron Sights were a problem. Well, the irons are a problem. So, I am using the STS's.
Old 06-02-2021, 04:25 PM
rexxon123456
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
photo of scope set up???????????????????

Does anyone have a photo of the mount that dokey makes,??? I may be interested in one as well. Although I may have solved my problem temporarily. I used a aluminum EGW mount and I had to put both rings in front of the turret in order to get proper eye relief. well when I moved it back to where I needed it the crosshairs would vibrate after trigger pull.

So I bought the steel EGW mount which is about 1" longer to the rear, I had a old leather weight belt around here and cut the leather small enough to place under rear of the mount and on top of rear receiver.
Tried it yesterday and it worked perfect but I would like to see the other mount that is similar to the Viani mount.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:58 PM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexxon123456 View Post
Does anyone have a photo of the mount that dokey makes,??? I may be interested in one as well. Although I may have solved my problem temporarily. I used a aluminum EGW mount and I had to put both rings in front of the turret in order to get proper eye relief. well when I moved it back to where I needed it the crosshairs would vibrate after trigger pull.

So I bought the steel EGW mount which is about 1" longer to the rear, I had a old leather weight belt around here and cut the leather small enough to place under rear of the mount and on top of rear receiver.
Tried it yesterday and it worked perfect but I would like to see the other mount that is similar to the Viani mount.
This is how I fixed the flex on my aluminum EGW rail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3806.JPG (91.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3809.jpg (103.2 KB, 47 views)
Old 06-03-2021, 02:18 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
You would think that a company could come up with a better product than EGW has for the 52. Ken Viani made a much better product and now that he has retired, you might suppose that EGW might make a deal with him to produce his mount. A very long time ago, before I had heard of Mr. Viani, I bought an aluminum mount from EGW. Mounted it on my 52, noticed the lack of sturdiness and thought it couldn't be a good thing and it wasn't. Rather than trying to jury-rig the EGW, I removed it and bought a barrel mount scope and was happy. Then through this forum, I learned of Mr. Viani and tried one of his. After trying his mount, I threw the EGW in the trash and considered it a learning experience. My thoughts and JMHO.

AJ
Old 06-03-2021, 07:47 PM
rexxon123456
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you

Nice way to make the rear rail solid, was that something you repurposed, it really looks like a nice piece of workmanship
Old 06-03-2021, 07:48 PM
rexxon123456

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you

Can you still use your rear peep sight with it left in place???
Old 06-03-2021, 09:09 PM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Nice way to make the rear rail solid, was that something you repurposed, it really looks like a nice piece of workmanship
Thanks. The base mounted to the rifle is for my Redfield sights, the rest I made. There is a extra hole in the side piece, a tap broke and I wasn't going to take the time to make another so I just moved the hole.

Quote:
Can you still use your rear peep sight with it left in place???
Probably with the rail only but the brace will have to come off.