Suppressor - What's the purpose? - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-28-2021, 03:52 PM
mushka
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

If I didn't have to beg the govt and give them two hundred bucks for nothing and wait for an unspecified number of months for permission to own one, I'd get one. I do believe they are a hearing health benefit. Our stupid govt can't understand this.
Old 05-28-2021, 04:52 PM
SkyBlueLou

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-67 View Post
I would at least get a threaded barrel in case your situation might change. Mine might.
Yeah, agreed. I did. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:31 AM
tbates66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The MAIN reason is hearing protection. Too many of us who have shot 1,000s of unprotected rounds are suffering from our own ignorance. And "cool factor"? Hardly. I do not have a suppressor because they are expensive, nosy government types want to snoop in your business, and they are kinda ugly. Curious, yes, but most shooters don't care what others think. I do plan to get one for my next varmint rifle because it will make me more effective. If it works as well as I hope, I'll have more.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:23 AM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushka View Post
If I didn't have to beg the govt and give them two hundred bucks for nothing and wait for an unspecified number of months for permission to own one, I'd get one. I do believe they are a hearing health benefit. Our stupid govt can't understand this.
^^^ I could not agree more with this.

Rimfire nice to have.

Centerfire should be mandatory.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:41 AM
Sycamore
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperm View Post
I use a suppressor on my home defense gun. Shooting unsuppressed, inside a building, is a lot louder than shooting outside were, unless you are using a muzzle break, most of the sound is projected forward.

Also use on on my varmint rifle as it's more pleasant to shoot. None of that has anything to do with it being more cool . . . though it is more cool!
Since my home defense weapon is a sawed off Wingmaster .12 ga., if, God forbid, I ever had to fire it inside my house, I certainly believe that I may experience some additional hearing loss. I don't worry about it.

I am pushing 70 years old, and after a lifetime in construction, and shooting before ear protection was a thing, my favorite word is "huh?" I do not find that my loss of hearing to be a terrible burden. The older I get, since by now I have just about heard it all, the less I want to hear.

When I was in Navy boot camp in '71, our only shooting was with 1911s on an inside range set up for maybe 20 shooters. I have tried to recall for sure, but I do not believe that we wore hearing protection during our shooting sessions. I probably received the biggest part of my hearing loss at that time. (well, that and live rock concerts....)

Of course, my middle age, I was enlightened and started wearing hearing protection while shooting, but I was still working on commercial and industrial construction sites which are very noisy, but while there, you needed your ears to keep you from being run over, or missing a "heads up." The only time I wore hearing protection on my job was if I was using very loud equipment, such as jackhammers or hammer drills.

But, more back to the original intent of the thread. I believe most people want suppressors because of the "cool" factor and because they are restricted, I have never had a desire to own one. I use good electronic muffs and they do fine for me.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:58 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Several of us seem to have different definitions of the word "cool." Mine is simple. Any tool that works and works well is in my eyes "cool."

Cordless tools with enough "oomph" to get the job done are cool. Touchless car washes that don't cost any more than the manual washes are cool. My truck's Bluetooth connectivity with my cell phone so I can talk hands free is cool. And yeah, to me suppressors are cool.

They also make me giggle, but some cool things will do that to a fella

Frank
Old 05-29-2021, 10:10 AM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
They should be legal for anyone that can legally posses the Firearm to use it on.Without having to get approval, should not have to pay a tax, nor jump through hoops to own one...It is our right to own one if we want to....Nor do I need to explain a reason to anyone for wanting one..
Old 05-29-2021, 10:30 AM
SkyBlueLou

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all the replies guys. This has been very informative for me. So if I might bend the conversation on a related tangent - who do you like?

More detail - I have come across some outfits that will set up the "trust" for you. That looks like the best way to do it but I'll admit it sounded a little sketchy at first. Like "Yoohoo - ATF! Check me out". But maybe this is accepted practice? I don't know - hence the question. And of course what/who are good brands and vendors? This will eventually be going on a Vudoo.
Old 05-29-2021, 11:20 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
My last three are through Silencer Shop and my experience was with an older trust that had to be updated, they weren't very helpful with that part and at least one person was down right rude. The purchase of the three suppressors was much better but that one thing still sticks in my craw as we say in the South.
Old 05-29-2021, 11:35 AM
PicketWire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't use mine nearly as much as anticipated. The rimfire cans see the most use as I enjoy hearing the "tink" of hitting a metal target. But I still wear h-pro when using the centerfire cans, and of course anytime when at a public range.
Old 05-29-2021, 12:41 PM
Dusterdave173

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
On hearing loss..........

I told my uncle seemed like he needed hearing aids--he says
Boy...My lawyer and my girlfriend whisper in my ear and my preacher talks plenty loud so nope I don't need hearing aids
Old 05-29-2021, 12:50 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
My first exposure was more than a decade ago, they were much more fringe back then and not nearly as refined. It was on a 22lr and was rather underwhelming.

Fast forward to the fall of 19. A friend in the industry invited me down to a shooting event with lots of suppressors on display. After 3 days of shooting everything from 22lr to 300 rum on well designed suppressors, my whole thinking about firearms changed. To say it was a paradigm shift in thinking was an understatement. It went from "why are they needed" to "why arent they just shy of mandatory".

Experience a good suppressor, that's all I can say.
Old 05-29-2021, 03:17 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBlueLou View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys. This has been very informative for me. So if I might bend the conversation on a related tangent - who do you like?

More detail - I have come across some outfits that will set up the "trust" for you. That looks like the best way to do it but I'll admit it sounded a little sketchy at first. Like "Yoohoo - ATF! Check me out". But maybe this is accepted practice? I don't know - hence the question. And of course what/who are good brands and vendors? This will eventually be going on a Vudoo.
you will get people telling it "its so easy online to do this or that..." it maybe true, but i would rather spend time asking a real person.

I know its easy to just ask questions for stranger too.

but you may want to find an attorney versed in Trusts and if possible firearms. you can google for them if you want and ask some questions about them. that way you can get your info from someone that is versed in the law and not someone that has "done it online" and also plays a astronauts or brain surgeon on their days off.

some points the last time i was researching...im not going to go into the details since its been a couple years since i reserached this, not just asking online either, but talking to attorneys.

> there are a couple? different types of trusts.

> depending on where you live you may not be able to use a trust to skirt the issue of having your local Sherriff sign off on your Form 3.

> You may want to look into if your trust will be a matter of "public record"

> also you may want to ask about the various trusts and how it works for you, anyone else on that trust and so forth.

good luck,
Old 05-31-2021, 09:51 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamore View Post
Since my home defense weapon is a sawed off Wingmaster .12 ga., if, God forbid, I ever had to fire it inside my house, I certainly believe that I may experience some additional hearing loss. I don't worry about it.
Hmm, speaking of 11" bbl Wingmaster 12 ga's ...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r8woo2a6af...74542.jpg?dl=0
Old 05-31-2021, 05:37 PM
wolfshoon
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangbang View Post

> depending on where you live you may not be able to use a trust to skirt the issue of having your local Sherriff sign off on your Form 3.

> You may want to look into if your trust will be a matter of "public record"
Form 3 transfer is mfgr to dealer or dealer to dealer, has nothing to do with individual/trust buying NFA item. That is all done on form 4 for buyer.

ATF letter 41F removed requirements of local CLEO approval before NFA purchase and changed it to notification of CLEO instead. Too many local CLEO’s being anti 2A for a federal check got this changed a few years ago. If your state allows suppressors your local CLEO can no longer deny a purchase.

Depending on your state requirements for trusts, it may or may not need to be filed/registered with the state and possibly be available for “public record” info requests. Depends on state, mine does neither.

Buying the services of a lawyer with NFA specialty is a good idea in my opinion. The $ I spent on my trust lawyer was well spent as he answered all these questions and many others and I have peace of mind if I should ever need representation for whatever reason.

With that said, the last NFA items I have done have all been done on individual applications outside of the trust since letter 41F passed. It’s a quicker approval and no other household members have any interest in NFA items so there is no need to share like on a trust that can provide for multiple users.

Shooting centerfire rifle suppressed is always better than unsuppressed. Pistol centerfire cans are a waste of time, they get too hot to use during matches for both handling(mirage) and set down between stages (burns things) and they slow down target acquisition times(splits). Rimfire quiet cans are a lot of fun but I quit using them for long range rifle matches as they can change POI significantly and I don’t feel like keeping two sets of data for long range POI shift in addition to temperature data, to much work.