Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:00 PM
jebus627

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Won a Martini by Al Freeland & Eric Johnson pictures

Any one have a Martini that either Al or Eric worked on. Are these guns any more accurate after they worked on them then original? Someone at the club has one and he isnít computer knowledgeable so I told him I would ask here. Thanks, Larry

Last edited by jebus627; 05-26-2021 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Won the gun
Old 05-14-2021, 07:48 PM
404tbang
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebus627 View Post
Any one have a Martini that either Al or Eric worked on. Are these guns any more accurate after they worked on them then original? Someone at the club has one and he isnít computer knowledgeable so I told him I would ask here. Thanks, Larry
Howdy Larry,

Yep, they are more accurate after having an Eric Johnson barrel installed.

I have an old BSA Model 12 that Johnson built. It's good. It's very good.

As I understand it, Al Freeland bought a bunch of barrels off of Eric Johnson and installed them on Martinis. Eric must have really, really trusted Al Freeland to let him install the barrels. I used to call Carl Johnson, Eric's son, years ago and he specifically said that his dad would not sell one of his barrels to anyone else to install because EJ had his name on the barrel and if it were installed wrong then it would affect his reputation.

Meanwhile, as I understand it, the Eric Johnson shop notes tell how many barrels went to Al Freeland. There was at least one other gunsmith who bought Johnson barrels. His name was Benny Sunderhaus, if I recall right. Benny designed and built his own actions.

One thing to be aware of, Johnson barrels are soft. I know that he would set barrels back after they had been shot enough for accuracy to deteriorate. I have a rifle he did this to.

What does your friend want to do with the Martini with a Johnson barrel?

Take care,

Greg
Old 05-15-2021, 09:11 PM
jebus627

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
U

Thanks Greg, he wants to gain some history or knowledge of his gun. Been searching Al’s name and Eric’s name is right there with Al. It’s a nice gun, he enjoys shooting it. If anything comes up for sale I’ll be happy to take it off his hands. It would look good next to my 12/15.

Actually asking about Freeland I was hoping to get some info on him and thought some people would proudly post pictures of their Freeland guns. Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2021, 01:39 PM
Keeley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Uncle Al

Read the book "Uncle Al", The life and times of inventer/marksman Albin Freeland.
Old 05-21-2021, 10:39 PM
jebus627

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Won an Al Freeland with an Eric Johnson Barrel. Just wanted to hide the identity of the gun till the auction was over, sorry 404bang. The gun will be picked up on Tuesday, we will be busy tomorrow darn! Pictures will follow. Looks like a Freeland made receiver with a made in the USA on the upper left side. The wood is fantastic with a lot of figure and the adjustable butt Al is famous for. Really excited to be able to put this in the safe. After I see how it shoots, the 12/15 will probably be for sale. Itís a great shooter also. Larry
Old 05-22-2021, 08:14 AM
jebus627

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If anyone has a copy of “Uncle Al", The life and times of inventer/marksman Albin Freeland I would be willing to buy it to read. Since I now own one of his guns it would be an interesting read. Any contact info to people that could give me information on this particular gun would be greatly appreciated. I hope this gun wasn’t shot a lot, not sure who could do a proper set back on it. Larry

Last edited by jebus627; 05-22-2021 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:44 PM
jebus627

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tried to change the title of the thread but it didnít change on the main page. Picked up the Freeland today, awesome gun. The receiver is made by Freeland and maybe the dropping block, will remove it to explore soon. The stock is a piece of great looking wood. Shot it today on the way back home, need a good bench and rests to do better. Very happy to have a gun made by Freeland in the house. Didnít know who Al was 2 weeks ago. The barrel is an Eric Johnson 8 star.

Have a book about Uncle Al coming and a couple of his catalogs. Larry
Old 05-25-2021, 11:17 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Very pretty, enjoy, and thank you for sharing.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2021, 04:02 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Larry,

Need close ups of the markings on the action itself.

AJ
Old 05-26-2021, 06:20 PM
jebus627

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
AJ, the only marks that I saw so far is the made in USA on the left upper front of the receiver. The barrel has Eric Johnson with 8 stars. Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5A65584D-4DDE-42C8-8EC1-0B8ECAA88742.jpg (503.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-26-2021, 06:25 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
AJ, the only marks that I saw so far is the made in USA on the left upper front of the receiver. The barrel has Eric Johnson with 8 stars. Larry
If he was making his own receivers, I wonder how close to a BSA receiver it was and if he had a license to copy them?
Old 05-26-2021, 09:09 PM
jebus627

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
From what I learned searching Freeland is BSA in England was consulting with Al and he was helping with the design of the international MK series. Larry
Old 05-26-2021, 09:41 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What a beautiful rifle. I'd be very happy to have one of those in my safe but it would be in there long. I'd shoot it every chance I got.

What distance did you shoot at? You did pretty good but that rifle, with the right ammo will be a tack driver. I'll bet you shoot a bunch of 250s with it.

Good luck and good shooting.

Steven
Old 05-27-2021, 01:49 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
From what I learned searching Freeland is BSA in England was consulting with Al and he was helping with the design of the international MK series. Larry
I think it might be more accurate to say Freeland's designs inspired BSA, rather than he had an active role. Some might take inspired as ripped off
Old 05-27-2021, 04:46 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like the rifle. I would be looking at a serious scope upgrade.

A period Leupold 12x would make a nice match up.

I either missed some pictures or more were added. Last sentence deleted.

Last edited by fourbore; 06-05-2021 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Edit because prior posts were edited