Oh no - my CZs don't shoot good anymore! - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-20-2021, 08:41 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)

Shooting is a deteriorating sport. Practice more before you do anything to your guns.

Was the wind from a dropping BP or Rising BP. I have found that a rising wind is more "stable" than a dropping BP wind. Now before all you nay sayers jump in, just go out and shoot in both conditions several times before you say anything.

Also what was the temp and humidity last year vs. this year. And lighting conditions

Most guns that take more than a few rounds to settle in are more than likely the shooter settling in, not the rifle.

I have found that 60 degrees temp with 60% humidity on a slow rising BP is the best conditions for good groups.

I have a 40X sporter I built and it is a 1/2" gun with good ammo at 100 yards consistently IF all the conditions are right. You can't get good groups on a dropping BP conditions. BP is barometric pressure.
John
Old 05-20-2021, 09:22 AM
Warhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
John, why is a dropping BP bad for group shooting?
Old 05-20-2021, 09:33 AM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Check the tq on your action screws, most like a pressure point close to the end of the barrel channel in the stock. I like to use rubber bicycle innertube. Now to the big suspect: carbon/lube ring. You will need a bore guide, a good .17 or .20 rod, and I use a bronze core brush like shooters choice, a 6mm works great for cleaning the chamber/throat. And the key to all this is the solvent: 2/3 to 3/4 hoppes #9, and 1/4 to 1/3 part of kroil. Mix them and use that as your solvent. If it is like my highest round count cz that stopped grouping consistently around 10k rounds (even though it was cleaned every 500rds on average), it'll take hours for the patches to come out clean. Soak the throat, scrub, wet patch, let soak, scrub, wet patch.....until the patches stop coming out black.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:40 AM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm with Clem on the carbon ring .

If your thing bedding, give aluminum tape bedding a try. You would be surprised of the outcome it could have. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1092906
Old 05-20-2021, 11:43 AM
iron85

TPC Rating: 
100% (46)
Iím going to say a bad day for you and bad conditions. Kiss. Keep it simple stupid. You havenít shot rimfire in a long while, weather influences were not helpful. I could post a group from my 457 that would put all posted to shame, but that was a great day for me and decent weather. Go shoot one or two more times before you go overboard.

Iron
Old 05-20-2021, 12:26 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhead View Post
John, why is a dropping BP bad for group shooting?
I'm not a scientist but if the BP is dropping that is unstable air or destabilizing air. If the BP is rising it is stabilizing air.

I have a shooting at my house, back in the woods with 85 to 105 ft tall trees. The tress aren't moving, nor can I hear wind, but the BP is dropping I can't get as good of groups as I can with BP rising. Of course a steady BP is the best for getting good groups.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:50 PM
Ratdog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Did I ever tell you about my 452 wmr?
It would not group well at all with most ammo.
One day I noticed the action would rock fore and aft when the screws were slack. There was a high spot in the stocks inletting.
So I made from plastic containers two pads that sat under the action and under the fixing screws effectively lifting the action a fraction.
Instantaneous success! That rifle then shot everything and for wmr was outstanding.

As daft as it seems, any unevenness of the action in the inletting can have a dramatic effect even on a 22. Whilst we don't consider much is going on based on the level of recoil we don't feel believe me, there is!
👍
Old 05-20-2021, 02:19 PM
PigButtons
US Air Force Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
It was only briefly mentioned above so I'll come right out and ask: Did you torque the rings and scope recently, ( or sight screws if irons). If not, try that too as I've had many a bad range session with an out of spec untorqued optic. So many times in fact that now when bad shots seem to be hard to explain I look first to the optic, then carbon ring, then action torque, then shooter, then things like bedding, barrel floating, trigger.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:08 AM
Kragman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Pigbuttons - I did check the screws on my optics, and they were good.

I figure the odds are 75% that I was just having a lousy day, 25% that there is an actual problem.

I may be able to sneak a couple hours of range time in tomorrow, and if so I will bring the same guns with me and give it another go, assuming the wind doesn't interfere. If I get similar results, I may look harder at my equipment.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:28 PM
Kragman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I knoe this isn't a 10-22 forum, but...

I did get a short time at the range earlier. I only returned with the 10-22 from the other day. It turned out to be extremely sensitive to the torque on the single action screw. It likes a very light tension. Once I figured that out I could get it to shoot very well for three or four shots, then I found that the tension would increase, and I would see the 4th or 5th shot start to walk. Happened first with some Aguila SV, then Center X, then Geco Rifle. It would shoot under 1/2 MOA before that would happen.
I'll pull the action and check the barrel clamp screws when I get home JIC they are backing out.

I'll get back to the CZs on a day when I have more time.

Some of the groups that fell apart:
Old 05-23-2021, 12:48 PM
Kragman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Well, I just pulled the action out of the stock - barrel clamp is A-OK, but there was a lot of wiggle room in the inletting, and I found that the barrel was making contact at the end of the forend. Kinda explains why small differences on the action screw had a large effect on POI (barrel contact) and why it was unpredictable (action movement).
At least it seems logical to me.

I'm not set up to bed the rifle, but I did pull out some rubber tape and added a pad front & rear of the mounting screw, a narrow strip under the rear of the action pkus a pad on the back of the action and two small ones to the front and rear of the action on the right side only. No room to do so on both sides. Action now sits still in the stock. The barrel may not be clearing the forend though, its too close to tell. I can always add a second strip if I need to.

Hoping to get back to the range soon to test my theory. We do have a 3 day weekend coming up.....