Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-08-2021, 09:48 PM
Griff557

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
457 last round

I have a 457 in Boyds At one stock and it fails to eject the last round on all my factory magazines-doesn’t matter whether it’s a 5 rd or 10 rd mag. It extracts the empty but leaves it sitting on top of the follower. I would guess the mag feed lips are knocking the empty off the extractor. Not the end of the world but it’s frustrating
Old 05-09-2021, 06:35 AM
TTS22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My MTR does the same thing. Kinda strange but itís really not a big deal.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:55 AM
dougha5

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No answers here but an interesting experience I had with a 457 that did the same thing. My 457 Varmint Precision Chassis with 24Ē barrel did the same thing but only with the 10 round magazines, the 5 round mag ejected fine. I noticed the magazine follower in the 5 and 10 rounders were in a little different position. I bent the tabs on the followers so they sat more like the 5 rounders and it seemed to help but didnít completely cure it. I believe the back sat down farther in the 10 rounders. I figured modifying the extractor or holder would be the next step. I ordered a new extractor and holder from CZ so I would have spares if I messed them up while modifying them.
In the mean time, I had bought a used 16-1/2Ē 455 barrel from a buddy that had been taken off to install an aftermarket barrel. It balanced better for me with the shorter barrel.
The failure to eject the last round went away when I changed barrels. Iíve put around 400 rounds through it since changing barrels and ejection on the last round has been 100%. The barrel I took off has no obvious defects or anything. Extraction was always good, it just left the last empty laying on the follower.
I didnít notice any burrs or foreign material in the receiver or on the original barrel when I removed my original barrel but I did clean it really well before installing the used barrel and torquing it to 44 in/lbs. If I had another 457 that was doing the same thing, I think I would first try removing the barrel, give things a good inspection/cleaning and then reinstall it. Easy to do and might take care of the problem. Bottom line though, I still donít know exactly what the issue was with the other barrel installed! I may try the 24Ē barrel again if I get bored someday but that probably wonít happen anytime soon. Sorry if this was a little long winded but wanted to share my experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2021, 08:48 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff557 View Post
I have a 457 in Boyds At one stock and it fails to eject the last round on all my factory magazines-doesnít matter whether itís a 5 rd or 10 rd mag. It extracts the empty but leaves it sitting on top of the follower.
Even when you cycle the bolt with gusto?
Old 05-09-2021, 09:32 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Take the magazine apart and check ot the spring. It could be in the wrong way ,either. Flip it turn it or stretch it.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:53 AM
PABear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TooMany + 1

Sounds like a mag problem. when fully loaded the spring has greater pressure to push the cartridges up harder. If a poly clip it is most likely the spring or follower.

For some STRANGE reason CZ mags are very often faulty. Maybe they have them assembled by an outside source?? I've had 5 either missing parts, having more than one follower, or having parts in backward.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:04 PM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
That's weird. Am I correct in understanding that this only happens after the last round from the magazine has been fired and the bolt is opened? If so, then it sounds like the magazine has done it's job of feeding the round into the chamber and can't be a factor, especially since the FTE's happen with different mags. That would seem indicate an ejector problem. OTOH, since it's always just on the final round, that would seem to eliminate the ejector as the cause. Even so, I still think I'd be taking a close look at the ejector.

Does the problem happen with different ammo brands?
Old 05-09-2021, 02:02 PM
PABear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mag follower is high, puching the spent case up.

If you shoot a10 shots, BUT before you open the bolt on that 10 round, remove the mag. Does it eject then??
Old 05-09-2021, 02:58 PM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PABear View Post
Mag follower is high, puching the spent case up.

If you shoot a10 shots, BUT before you open the bolt on that 10 round, remove the mag. Does it eject then??
That sounds very plausible, and it'll at least answer the question about the mag being the problem. Hard to believe it'd be the problem with multiple mags, though.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:03 PM
old 39

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My CZ 452 Super Exclusive often fails to eject the last round. I have a dozen magazines and it is a problem with all twelve so I don't think it is a magazine problem.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:03 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Are they metal or polymer? Were they alll purchased At the same time, same vendor?
Old 05-09-2021, 08:45 PM
old 39

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think I know why the last round doesn't eject. When the magazine is loaded the top round exerts upward pressure on the extracted case and and holds it firmly against the extractor. The extractor has to overcome this pressure and this is what kicks the empty out. When there are no cartridges in the magazine you don't have that pressure and the empty just rolls away from the extractor.

As an experiment, try removing the magazine before extracting an empty. The empty will probably fall straight down into the magazine well. This is because the bolt faces on 457s and 455s are wide enough to accomodate magnum as well as long rifle cases. The long rifle cases aren't held as firmly as they might with a dedicated .22 long rifle bolt and they need that upward pressure from cartridges in the magazine in order to eject.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:49 PM
Griff557

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All the same polymer CZ mags it does it with both 5 and 10 round mags. I haven’t tried dropping the mag after the last round and seeing if it ejects but I would guess it will. It works flawlessly on rounds 1-4 or 1-9 brand of ammo makes no difference. It doesn’t appear Iam the only one with this issue
Old 05-09-2021, 09:27 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Well, then itisan apparent design flaw in thee 457.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:22 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Well, then itisan apparent design flaw in thee 457.
Except that none of my five 457's does it.