Amazon phone scammers - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:27 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Amazon phone scammers

In the past couple days got 2 calls informing me of my Amazon purchases via my card. To be positive they were scammers I called my card company and as suspected no such transactions took place. She further informed me they have gotten thousands of calls of others reporting similar Amazon scammer phone calls. Asterisks!
Old 05-04-2021, 02:39 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
They're evil Al. I've had 2 buddies scammed in the last few months. Both got computer viruses, called the "Microsoft" tech number that the virus helpfully provided and promptly got skinned.

Smart guys too but older and trusting. Just hang up if it's a phone call or if your PC starts flashing warnings immediately unplug it and pull the battery if it's a laptop.

Dirty rotten low down asterisk asterisk asterisks!!!!

Frank
Old 05-04-2021, 02:43 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Don't forget to tell them you would be happy to find the card in question, but it will take a few minutes; then sit the phone down & go about your previous business.

When you pick your phone back up later, score one point for every minute the caller waited on the line for you to come back.

Edit: if you have headset, feel free to string them along while you do other tasks - my record is 37 minutes, and was finally rewarded with swear words in Hindi when I finally let the cat out of the bag.

Last edited by Kestrel4k; 05-04-2021 at 02:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2021, 03:38 PM
vet6771
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
In the past couple days got 2 calls informing me of my Amazon purchases via my card. To be positive they were scammers I called my card company and as suspected no such transactions took place. She further informed me they have gotten thousands of calls of others reporting similar Amazon scammer phone calls. Asterisks!
We got one yesterday. I never answer and have a call intercept/bloc device from DIGITONE that will block calls once I flag the name, number or even area code and the phone won't even ring if a blocked caller tries calling. Of course they keep changing the name and number so it's a matter of measures, counter-measures, counter-counter-measures, counter-counter-counter-measures - well you get the idea.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:45 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I delete 3-4 text messages a day that are obvious spam. Seems like the number declines on big protest days?
Old 05-04-2021, 04:12 PM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I simply stopped answering calls that aren't in my contacts, over 2 years ago. Also left my voicemail full.

My family and friends know how to contact me, urgently or not.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:16 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
I simply stopped answering calls that aren't in my contacts, over 2 years ago. Also left my voicemail full.

My family and friends know how to contact me, urgently or not.
We let unknown #s go to voicemail per some medical contacts and others, have come as a private #.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:25 PM
MKnarr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The first time it happened to me, I pressed 1 and got a Spanish speaking guy. He was so hard to understand I kept asking to speak to his supervisor.. Finally hung up. Contacted Amazon and like others, no charge but I did notify their fraud department and got a thank you. Next time I got the call, I screamed "I know this is a scam" and hung up. Both times it was a local number and that was the only reason I answered the call in the first place. Fortunately I never got to a point where I would give them some info as if I would have in the first place.

Be safe.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:41 PM
lasttombstone

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I don't have that much of a real life. I"ll happily answer the phone, knowing that it is not a personal call. Just depends on what mood I'm in that day as to how long I'll string them along. I don't mind pressing 1 to talk to them because I know they are getting nothing but questions and silly answers from me.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:59 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Those I do answer I say,"Sheriff's Dept, Fraud Div."; they usually hang up Right Away.
It is Too Much Fun
Old 05-04-2021, 10:51 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Never answer the phone by by saying “Yes” never say Yes period. They will record you and then doctor the tape, by inserting the question. Do you want to change to our——- company?
Old 05-04-2021, 11:42 PM
Litetrigger

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I start talking with them while I get my boat air horn and my ear plugs. You know what comes next. !!!
Old 05-05-2021, 01:41 AM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Years ago, back when all this phone scam nonsense started, I did get amusement by keeping them on the phone as long as possible. Giving them fake/made-up info, etc.

I was inspired by the Jolly Roger guy, they had some great recordings but it seems a lot of it has been taken down now.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:14 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What happens when a scammer calls the wrong dude?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq8cKjdNpCo

Kinda long video, but quite enjoyable to see the tables turned.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:18 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
My 85 year-old mother gets several of these calls a day. She has lost the ability to discern what is probably a scam and what is not. I have advised her to screen all calls. I have friends who have stopped using their land lines because of this. It is amazing really. We have a multi-trillion dollar phone network, paid for by rate-payer dollars (that's you and me) rendered completely impotent by a bunch of knuckleheads with laptops and spoofing software. It represents an asymmetrical strategic failure of massive proportions.