GunBroker has Zero Marlin 795s for sale?!?! - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-28-2021, 05:41 AM
dmthomp32

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Well, I have an update to my dilemma that began with post #28:

Last weekend I was there again, and they had a similar Glenfield 60 but with significant wear for only $99. It also had some strange narrow-tube scope on it. I almost bought it, but I didn't have my "diploma" with me as I hadn't thought to keep a copy in the car. So today I went back there, assuming it would be gone. It was, but in its place was a 1980s Marlin 60 in better shape with the last round hold-open and full-length magazine for $139. It wasn't mint, but the scratches on it were fairly minor. This time I had my "diploma" so I bought it. Of course it has to sit in gun jail for the next two weeks, plus when I go to pick it up I have to pay an additional $18 sin fee that WA charges for all "assault rifle" sales. I still think it's a good deal on a clean used Model 60 from the best years of its production.

EDIT: Decoding the serial number (starts with 13xxxxx) indicates it was made in 1987. That makes me even happier because it's right from the time period of the one my high school friend used to have. Who knows... it might even be his old rifle!
That sounds like a great price and a better buy than the earlier rifle! Sounds like Cabela's is offering the best prices on vintage Marlin .22's! My wife's cousin bought a near perfect 989M2 yesterday for $250 from our local Cabela's.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2021, 12:34 PM
dsk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't know how they keep showing up at that particular Cabelas all the time. They also had a vintage Marlin bolt-action of some sort, but I failed to note the model as I pretty much dropped everything when I saw the Model 60 on the rack.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:27 PM
Pak75

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GladesGuy View Post
Same old story gentlemen: You snooze you lose!

Have you forgotten Marlin disappeared with the Remington bankruptcy? I doubt the new owner, Ruger, is going to be making cheap .22 semi auto rifles to compete with their 10/22.
This is exactly why. Remember when Winchester went Tango Uniform? Try finding a 9422.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:11 PM
PAndy

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I think I got one of the last nice ones on GunBroker for under $200. Didn't realize how lucky that was at the time. Several months ago!
Old 04-02-2021, 08:59 PM
dsk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Funny thing is, a few years ago I was seriously considering selling my LNIB Model 70HC as I rarely ever shoot it. I decided against it when I found I couldn't get more than a hundred bucks for it. Boy am I glad I didn't! Now I intend to keep it until Hell freezes over.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:48 AM
MNBobster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin, Marlin, Marlin!

I think everyone might be mistaken about Marlin. They were mismanaged by Remington and now Ruger owns them. Marlin's products, save for bolt guns, are not really direct competitors. Ruger recognizes the value of Marlin's products and customer loyalty. The lever guns are pretty much a given to come back. The 60 and 795 are the second most popular .22. Why not make them both and keep from alienating Marlin customers? I have a 336w, XT17, and 795 (I sold a 10/22 and bought this). They are all excellent. I just put an MCARBO trigger kit in the 795 and a Ranger Precision trigger is in the mail for my 336w. When I bought the XT17 last year, it was the only one I could find and it was the last one Sportsman's Warehouse had. I have a Ruger American Rimfire .22. The Ruger .17HMR Standard rimfire was more expensive than the Marlin and was unavailable. I am guessing that once they move the production equipment and line up people to run them, Marlins will return. Sometimes, you increase your profits by adding another manufacturer. Remington's owners couldn't even manage Remington, much less Marlin. Ruger seems to be thriving. Roundhill, which bought Remington, is an unknown and the union is battling with them. I love Remington's as well, although my Remingtons (7400 and 870 Wingmaster Magnum) are from the early '80s. I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one. and this is good news: https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...nt-working-247.

Last edited by MNBobster; 04-15-2021 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:38 PM
dsk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The future promises to be interesting, with so many competing companies now all under the same roof. It's the same with Federal, who now owns both CCI and Remington ammo. By making HST, Gold Dot and Golden Saber self-defense ammo they're basically competing with themselves. Conventional wisdom says that doing such a thing isn't a very sound business practice, but with no real competition they can pretty much set the market now.

Will Ruger bring back the semi-auto Marlin .22s and let them compete against their own 10/22? We will have to see. Hopefully they will see that the consumer market for each is somewhat different, otherwise they will consolidate and only bring back the Marlin lever-actions.
Old 04-23-2021, 05:25 PM
Magnum357

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The future promises to be interesting, with so many competing companies now all under the same roof. It's the same with Federal, who now owns both CCI and Remington ammo. By making HST, Gold Dot and Golden Saber self-defense ammo they're basically competing with themselves. Conventional wisdom says that doing such a thing isn't a very sound business practice, but with no real competition they can pretty much set the market now.

Will Ruger bring back the semi-auto Marlin .22s and let them compete against their own 10/22? We will have to see. Hopefully they will see that the consumer market for each is somewhat different, otherwise they will consolidate and only bring back the Marlin lever-actions.
I look at it like this, Chevy/GMC or Camaro/Firebird, and Plymouth/Dodge. I myself own a Marlin 795 and a 10/22. There are things I like about both, and things I believe could be improved on both. Since the Marlin 60, and 10/22 compete for top honors as most sold .22 rifle, I think it was genius for Ruger to buy Marlin. Pair Rugerís ability to mass produce firearms, with some of Marlinís patented designs, and I believe the future is bright on that end.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:30 PM
insider
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum357 View Post
I look at it like this, Chevy/GMC or Camaro/Firebird, and Plymouth/Dodge. I myself own a Marlin 795 and a 10/22. There are things I like about both, and things I believe could be improved on both. Since the Marlin 60, and 10/22 compete for top honors as most sold .22 rifle, I think it was genius for Ruger to buy Marlin. Pair Rugerís ability to mass produce firearms, with some of Marlinís patented designs, and I believe the future is bright on that end.
Ruger isn't going to sell something that directly competes with the 10-22, I think the Marlin days are over.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:01 PM
PuddleJumper65
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
d
Quote:
Originally Posted by insider View Post
Ruger isn't going to sell something that directly competes with the 10-22, I think the Marlin days are over.
Iím just a simple mechanic, but Iím somewhat confused by this,, why wouldnít they??? The profits go into the same pocket no mater what one thrives..
PJ
Old 04-23-2021, 10:06 PM
dsk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The worry is that sales of the Marlins will cut into sales of the more profitable 10/22. Let's face it, when you look at both designs there's no valid reason why the 10/22 sells for $100 more. Especially these days when everything on the Ruger is plastic.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:54 AM
dmthomp32

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The worry is that sales of the Marlins will cut into sales of the more profitable 10/22. Let's face it, when you look at both designs there's no valid reason why the 10/22 sells for $100 more. Especially these days when everything on the Ruger is plastic.
I agree. I think if there is a Marlin .22 that they will manufacture, it would be the Model 60. Mostly cause Ruger doesn't offer a tube fed variation of a rimfire. Also cause the model 60 is synonomous with the Marlin brand. I'm hopeful the 39 and other levers would be offered as well. Ultimately it's all a guessing game but it's fun to dream!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2021, 12:21 AM
vinco
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Here's one:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/898860612
Old 05-01-2021, 02:42 AM
toivo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinco View Post
No magazine -- that's the poison pill on that one. Those magazines are like hen's teeth now. On eBay, starting bids are $50 and up.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:47 AM
insider
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toivo View Post
No magazine -- that's the poison pill on that one. Those magazines are like hen's teeth now. On eBay, starting bids are $50 and up.
Unfortunately, that's the suckass part, high dollar clips.