Sad demise of .22 short - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-29-2021, 06:16 PM
PAOldGuy
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post
I always loved the .22 short and after many hours of thought I was wondering why this cartridge is not more popular, it actually makes me a little sad than virtually no modern manufacturer produces rifle in this caliber any longer.
I have a Remington 4-S "American Boy Scout" rolling block in .22 short. Probably manufactured 1913-14. It's the rifle I learned to shoot with in the 1950's. Unfortunately, there have been quite a few "mods" done to it, so it's just a wall hanger. Every time I look at it, it brings back memories...for sure!
Old 04-29-2021, 06:20 PM
Hawkmoon
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
What holds the Short down is that 29 gr bullet. If we used the same case (plenty of room for modern powders) with a 35-40 grain LR bullet we would have an excellent round! Cheaper to make too since brass would almost be cut in half. With much less air space in the case accuracy could be better than either the Short, Long (a real problem child) or the LR. What would we call a cross between the Short and the Long Rifle?

Shlong!
Something like this? https://www.aguilaammo.com/ammunition/1b220112/
Old 04-29-2021, 06:37 PM
Zigman
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Smile 22 Short

Henry makes great 22 short, long, and long rifle lever actions. They take all three rounds and the shorter they are, the more you can fit in the tube...
Old 04-29-2021, 07:06 PM
Fundy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My LGS just south of Birmingham, AL has 3-4,000 rounds of CCI short - no shortage here...but they loaded up just before the madness began.

Bought four boxes of Remington RL Rifle Match yesterday for $8.99/50 but LR is going fast.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:18 PM
jerryray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Browning discontinued the SA-22 in .22 short a couple years ago. I bought one in maple when they went on closeout with a Browning $100 rebate. It is a fun little rifle that I put a red dot sight on. Also it keeps the chipmunk population in the yard down without alarming the neighbors. I have problems with them getting into my walls and basement.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:50 PM
700PSS Shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I bought my Winchester martially-marked Winder Musket Training Rifle many years ago, I bought a brick of .22 Shorts for that rifle only. After actually shooting the Winder Musket, I was very surprised with its accuracy out to 50 yards. Much better that in any of my S, L, LR marked rifles.

Since that piece is not a regular shooter, I have enough for many years.

They also worked well enough in my S&W 617 and My Ruger Single Six to hit minute of can.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:15 PM
adamsgt
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
I would guess that the decrease in material costs between shorts an LRs was de minimus , and the real cost in quality ammo was tooling, and QC, which probably costs more since they are smaller and so tolerances might be tighter.

Dont they shoot 22 short in pistol competition anymore?

I think you can still buy a new Browning SA in 22 short.
Many years ago when I was stationed in upstate New York, I shot ISU Rapid fire matches with .22 short Ammo. I had a .22 short conversion kit for my Hi Standard Victor. The negligible recoil was great when you had to shoot 5 moving targets in 4 seconds. Still got the gun and a few bricks of the CCI Tgt ammo.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:35 PM
Buck8one2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been using CCI short HP in my Browning BL22 on squirrels and other small vermin. They don't stand a chance.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:26 PM
Winder
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryray View Post
Browning discontinued the SA-22 in .22 short a couple years ago. I bought one in maple when they went on closeout with a Browning $100 rebate. It is a fun little rifle that I put a red dot sight on. Also it keeps the chipmunk population in the yard down without alarming the neighbors. I have problems with them getting into my walls and basement.
Yep. Still kicking myself for not getting one of those maples. Dang am I stupid. Must have it in the cart half a dozen times and just didnít pull the trigger
Old 04-30-2021, 12:49 AM
waullygabsalot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Where is that LGS just south of B'ham? I'm in Clanton and will be up in that direction real soon.
Old 04-30-2021, 02:43 AM
ECC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shot the rapid fire, centrefire and standard gun matches back in the ‘80s & ‘90s with a 3:1 Walther.

The shorts were like firing an air pistol.

Now it’s all changed since 2004 to .22LR and the trigger weight is now 1000g minimum.

I have one pack of .22 shorts in my safe as sort of a collectors item.

Last edited by ECC; 04-30-2021 at 02:47 AM.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:54 AM
evanslmtd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockcrafter View Post
One big advantage with the short is less recoil. Many years ago I had the opportunity to shoot a fellow club member's newly acquired High Standard pistol - I believe it was called the Olympic model - which was chambered in .22 short. Where I noticed a big improvement compared to my .22 LR Supermatic Citation was in timed and rapid fire. His gun was very quick to re-acquire the target! I seem to remember that .22 short was also used in Olympic rapid fire competition for the same reason.
I've got a High Standard Olympic that I picked up used when I lived in Fairbanks. That little pistol is a tack driver.!
Old 04-30-2021, 10:00 AM
Old-Corps
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigman View Post
Henry makes great 22 short, long, and long rifle lever actions. They take all three rounds and the shorter they are, the more you can fit in the tube...
Yep, methinks they take about 21 rounds in short. ??? I occasionally shoot 'em in my Golden Boy. Also Longs.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:36 AM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
I enjoy the round in two 22 Short chambered guns I own, a SA-22 and 1890. I have used them in two of my lever guns, but generally shoot LR in those. Never tried them in a bolt gun though.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:30 PM
Fundy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I went to a LGS in Trussville, Alabama today. Plenty of .22 RL and .22 shorts! I couldn't even bring myself to look at the price for .22 magnums, but they had plenty.

Be prepared to pay between $12.95 and up, even for shorts. 380 ammo was $49.95 for a box of 50 for foreign make. No 9mm in stock.

It's grim new world out there, boys!