Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-03-2021, 09:35 PM
tbates66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BEST 17WSM ??

At the risk of starting a fight, which 17WSM is the best being currently produced. There have been lots of ups and downs with this caliber, but am wondering who makes the best one. I DO NOT want to buy a mostly poor rifle, then have to add a stock and other improvements to make it work. If it can't come put of the factory in good working order I don't want it. I've become interested because a friend shot one on a prairie dog shoot and really liked it. This peaked my interest so I want to look at what might be available. Thanks for the help. Tom
Old 02-03-2021, 10:44 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, you really don't have a many options. There is the Savage Bmag and the Ruger 77 17WSM.

If you go Savage Bmag I'd opt for either the heavy barrel Target Thumbhole or Beavertail model.

If the Ruger is more to your liking they have a stainless model with 18.5 inch barrel and a blued steel with 20 inch barrel. Typically the triggers suck in the Ruger but it's a pretty cheap and easy fix and if the Ruger was what I liked I certainly wouldn't let the trigger stop me from picking that one. The Ruger may be considerably harder to find though.

If AR style rifles are your thing Franklin Armory has complete AR style 17 WSM rifles or they also have 17 WSM uppers only.

If you want a full custom and don't mind spending the money for it give a call to Greg at Primal Rights about a TS Customs Rimx 17 WSM build
Old 02-03-2021, 11:50 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
The bmag.

The volquartsen is discontinued

The ruger hasn't been produced since last February and old stock or used go for 2-3x retail. Takes them from a little overpriced to ridiculous.

Franklin isn't currently being built as they are busy with other products.

The rimx still isn't shipping.

Bmag still seems to be in stock as much as anything is. It's kinda the one and only, so the best for now by default.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2021, 10:32 PM
Eric Mayer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Get a heavy barreled B.MAG and shoot the heck out of it. After everything calms down, then you can start shopping around for another option (if you even want to at that point).

Btw, make sure you can get ammo. It's difficult to find right now.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:58 PM
tbates66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hmmm. Well, these answers are helpful. My best bet I think will be to shoot p-dogs with my 17HMRs and my 22 Hornet, since I have ample ammo for both. Maybe just wait for better ammo availability on the 17WSM. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2021, 04:39 PM
1raggedhole

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbates66 View Post
Hmmm. Well, these answers are helpful. My best bet I think will be to shoot p-dogs with my 17HMRs and my 22 Hornet, since I have ample ammo for both. Maybe just wait for better ammo availability on the 17WSM. Thanks.

I’ve had the bmag and Ruger. Let the bmag go. Really like the Ruger. Once you try the wsm on prairie dogs, you’ll never bother with the hmr again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2021, 08:26 PM
tbates66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Ruger 77/17WSM with the heavy barrel might be an option for me. I had a Ruger 77/17HMR with the sport barrel. I used it some and was OK with it until I took it to the prairie dog field. When I found a busy dog town and shot several times, I would start missing even easy shots. A friend suggested it might be due to the barrel heating up. Took it to the range and, sure enough, that was it. After 8-10 shots the groups grew to 3" or more at 50 yds. At 50 yds, that's a likely miss on small dogs and a sure miss at 100 yds. So, I sold it and bought an Anschutz 1517MPR.....wicked accurate. That experience poisoned me on Ruger sport barrels, but may consider the varmint model. However, until the ammo becomes available, I'll have to stick with my 17HMR and 22 Hornet.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:58 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another 17 WSM that I just thought of, JARD Inc the trigger company makes an AR style 17 WSM too. Never really hear much about them though so I'm not sure if that is good or bad.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:47 AM
dirtclod75

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For the money, the B-mag probably wins. I prefer shooting my Volquarsten's (discontinued) and my Franklin Armory over the B-mag. Ammo is over $0.50/ round on Gun-broker now.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtclod75 View Post
For the money, the B-mag probably wins..
There is a POS trophy?
Old 02-15-2021, 05:49 PM
DS-10-SPEED

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would like to try the Winchester 1885 WSM if I had no limit on spending.

https://www.winchesterguns.com/produ...r-rimfire.html

But for now I'll stick with my B-Mag that I modified.

Last edited by DS-10-SPEED; 02-15-2021 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:14 PM
Ledslnger

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
Another 17 WSM that I just thought of, JARD Inc the trigger company makes an AR style 17 WSM too. Never really hear much about them though so I'm not sure if that is good or bad.
Jard actually isn’t too far from me. A LGS near me buys quite a few custom carbon fiber barreled Jard’s for a customer of his. Guy hurt his shoulder & can’t carry & use his AR in .204. So, he uses & loves these Jards. Guess his custom rig sets him back $3K each & he has bought 3 so far for himself & family.

Oh, I assume you can go cheaper but haven’t honestly checked or talked about doing so.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:15 PM
EBAnd
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a Savage B Mag ..factory offering... heavy barrel..laminate stock..probably made by Boyd’s....with accu trigger.. super rifle..I did glass bed it.. very accurate...
Old 04-15-2021, 04:34 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Mayer View Post
Get a heavy barreled B.MAG and shoot the heck out of it. After everything calms down, then you can start shopping around for another option (if you even want to at that point).

Btw, make sure you can get ammo. It's difficult to find right now.
Having been a quite vocal detractor of the BMag I recently picked up a later model Stainless HB in the Rubbermaid stock and with only a minor modification it is shooting pretty darned well, sub MOA at 50 yards with 15 gr and 20 gr loads and at or just barely over MOA at 100 with the 15gr loads. What can I say, its ugly and crude but shoots quite well, don't know that I'll do more than rip the decals off the stock and add a little FDE or OD paint to the stock at this point.

Top group had a bad called flyer to the right and it shows a tendency which may well be a result of a shaky rest and a rusty shooter to put four pretty tight with one slight outlet...I'll take the blame.

Yep, I used the barrel bedding tool to open up and slightly float the barrel, worked, what can I say.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:18 PM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I would suggest shooting your friends gun, if possible and see how you like it. At least you would have some idea if you would be interested in one.

I own and shoot the Volquartsen and the lowly Bmag. One being an expensive semiautomatic the other being kind of a funky bolt action. Both shoot extremely well and I haven’t even used my beloved HMR. since l got either of the WSM’s. The Bmag does have a heavy barrel and l put it in a Boyd’s stock and did my first ever glass bedding job on it. I was a little intimidated doing the bedding, but it was much easier than l thought and turned out great.

Best of Luck
Wonderdog1