Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-01-2021, 01:14 AM
ronmart
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
457 MTR first day & magazine jams on the last round

Got my new CZ 457 Varmint MTR out to the range today for its first shots with 7 different ammos. At 50 yards with 6 different ammos I got a 0.7 MOA group with everything I shot. I loved it, but it was annoying because my last round in the magazine for the first 10 or so mags had the last round jam (and usually damage the round).

It seemed to sort itself out towards the 2nd half of the day after things got good and dirty, but I was also using a lot of greasy ammo.

At 100 yards my groups were:

Midas+ 0.6 MOA
R100 0.7 MOA
Center-X 0.8 MOA
R50 0.8 MOA
SK Pistol Match and SK Long Range Match both > 1 MOA

If I had to rank the ammos after today's performance (without my glasses and with coffee just before shooting - doh), I'd say this is the rank of the ammos I've tested from best to worst:

Midas+
Tenex
Center-X
R100
R50
SK Pistol Match Special
SK Long Range Match

I'm very pleased. I need a better scope and I need to remember to bring my glasses and lay off coffee after breakfast because I can tell this gun can easily do sub 0.5 MOA if I do my part.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:10 AM
edrabara

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ronmart, good to hear how youíre liking your MTR. Does your magazine happen to be the metal kind? Did you give it the once over (i.e. clean it inside out) before taking it to the range?

I ask because Iíve had feeding problems with with the metal magazine but not the polymer ones.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2021, 05:14 AM
ronmart

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edrabara View Post
ronmart, good to hear how youíre liking your MTR. Does your magazine happen to be the metal kind? Did you give it the once over (i.e. clean it inside out) before taking it to the range?

I ask because Iíve had feeding problems with with the metal magazine but not the polymer ones.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, it is a metal magazine. It was pretty oily so I just took it to the range and used it.

Any advice on how to clean these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2021, 06:38 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmart View Post
Yes, it is a metal magazine. It was pretty oily so I just took it to the range and used it.

Any advice on how to clean these?
Put it on Ebbay and sell it, buy a polymer magazine https://gunmagwarehouse.com/cz-452-4...-magazine.html

Spray it down in and out with gun scrubber , several times, or soak in hoppes # 9, let dry, and spray it down, in and out with Hornady One Shot Dri Lube.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:44 AM
JDWinCO

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Slip the base off, the spring and follower will come out. Make sure to note the direction of the spring and follower. Any solvent will work, then just a bit of oil on a patch all the way around and wiped down to just leave a film over the metal.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:06 AM
gkgeiger
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My new MTR didn't like the 5 rd metal mag either. I bought 2 10 rd poly mags and haven't had a problem since.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:35 AM
NashvilleStage
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After cleaning the magazine, another thing you can experiment with is to reverse the orientation of the follower. On occasion, those have been installed backwards from the factory. The difference can be subtle, but can cause feeding issues.

Try it both ways and see which orientation works best. Load up a magazine and cycle the bolt while watching the cartridges to see how they feed into the chamber.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:57 AM
Joe L

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am going to try the Lapua Midas+ in mine...eventually. Looks like a good result to me.
Joe
Old 04-05-2021, 01:58 AM
ronmart

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks everyone!

So I took my magazine apart as shown in this video and observed that in the video they show this silver spring loaded pin that holds the magazine in place, whereas I had this small black pin that seemed to have no pressure against the magazine.

Here's my magazine disassembled:

Here's a closeup of the black pin that you can easily see us recessed rather than pushing up like the silver one you see in the video:

When I close it all back up the plate doesn't lock like it did before. It was locked, but that pin fell out very easily and doesn't have any spring pressure with or without the spring in the magazine.

This seems like it could be the source of my problem - any advice?

Thanks
Old 04-05-2021, 04:20 AM
Joe L

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You are missing the tiny little spring that fits in the hole and puts pressure on the base plate locking button in the lower left of your photo. First time I took mine apart, it fell out, fortunately I found mine. I'll make a photo of mine for you here in a few minutes.
Joe
Old 04-05-2021, 04:44 AM
Joe L

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK, I took my steel 5 round mag that works fine apart and took a photo of how the pieces were arranged. After you find your plunger spring, put it back together with the follower spring oriented so that the end is pushing up on the back side of the follower as shown in my photo below.

Joe
Old 04-05-2021, 02:39 PM
ronmart

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great, thanks Joe.

Yes, I found the spring and put it together like you described.

The first time I tried cycling 5 rounds through it jammed feeding the first round, but rounds two through five worked fine. I then repeated it and all five fed fine.

Let's see how it goes when I get out to the range next time.

One things for sure, I need more magazines. I'm doing ammo testing and I don't enjoy wasting a lot of time loading a 5 round magazine. I'm used to having 15 magazines for my Ruger 10/22, so I'd love to have at least 6 ten round magazines for this one for ammo testing.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:53 PM
old 39

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A friend of mine lost the little spring out of his magazine and apparently vacuumed it up. We fixed it by jamming a toothpick into the hole and breaking it off. Kind of crude but the magazine has worked fine for over a year now.

Those little pins and springs are easy to lose and this is a quick fix.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:24 AM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I note the spring is reversed w.r.t. the follower in the pics above.

Could the pressure difference b/w the front and rear cause an issue?