The weather was decent, so I took the 61 to the range. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-24-2021, 10:04 PM
Catrucker
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The weather was decent, so I took the 61 to the range.

I did get a chance to clean and lube it, so I couldn't wait to get to the range. Got "enough" yard work done today, and needed a little relaxation.
I fired it, racked and could not close the action. It didn't eject the spent casing. Of course the next round wouldn't load, so when I removed that round and pumped it again, it pulled the spent casing. So basically, it fires, but doesn't eject on the first try, then does eject on the second try. It did this every time.
I have not taken it apart to check anything yet, that'll have to wait, I have too many other irons on fire right now.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:12 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (62)
Could just be the ammo? Winchester or Browning ammo?
Old 03-24-2021, 10:53 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know that frustration. Try different ammo and then clean the extractor real well. Oil may help. Hard to diagnose your problem but keep at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2021, 07:04 AM
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Dry firing dimple?

I would also check for the dreaded dry-fire dimple. After repeated dry firing, which is easy to do with a pump action weapon, the firing pin has no case to impact on, so it slams into the chamber face. ( High Standard pistol pictured here), causing a dimple and making extraction hard. In most cases these are fixable to the extent you can get the gun working properly.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:10 AM
Catrucker

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ammo was Champion Federal value pack. I don't think it was really old, and it didn't look "dirty". I will check for the firing pin dimple as well as look at the extractor.

That same ammo had several fail to fires in a Marlin that I also took over to shoot. Those appeared to be light primer strikes, but it did eject (semi-auto) every time it fired.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:14 AM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My first thought would be the ejector. I would take the rifle down and remove the bolt from the receiver, and then carefully examine the ejector and ejector spring and make certain nothing is damaged or gummed up with old oil, grease etc. Spraying the bolt assembly with a good gun cleaner and then lightly with a fine gun oil would be a good starting point.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:14 PM
MajorD
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In rimfire different ammo is always the first thing to do. It sounds like it was failing to extract. IF different ammo doesn’t help then start trouble shooting.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:50 PM
old 39

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pump .22s are fascinating rifles but they tend to be very complicated and have a lot of small, interlocking parts. If one part gets worn it tends to affect all the others.

I have a Model 61 and like it a lot but it has always been a problem child. When I got it it would feed and fire alright but it wouldn't extract long rifle cases. It would extract .22 shorts but would eject them straight down into the action every time.

A couple of gunsmiths looked at this rifle and were baffled. Finally, 86 year old Ron Smith of RKS barrels had a look at it. The chamber was fine but apparently the firing pin was too long. He fixed it and now it works fine but you have to remember to operate the action vigorously. He said it took him three hours and consultation with two other gunsmiths to find the problem and I believe him.

The most reliable .22 pumps are the old 1890/06/62 series. They have no ejector. The carrier pushes them out. They have no cartridge cut off. The carrier is the cut off. They have no slide lock. The firing pin does that. There is no cam to raise the carrier. Flats on the breech block engage flats on the carrier and hoist it up. All four of these features often cause trouble on other pump .22s.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:04 PM
Catrucker

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That's interesting. I don't ever remember having a problem with the similar one that I grew up with, and I shot that one a LOT! I don't think I ever did more than wipe it down with an oily rag either. Oh well, I think the weather is going to be rotten tomorrow, so I may have time to tinker with it.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:45 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Failure to eject in guns like this usually can be traced back to defective, worn, or broken parts or dirty/corroded parts.

I would approach the problem in this manner:

1) try better quality ammo.
2) give the bolt and chamber a good thorough cleaning. Use a good solvent and brush the chamber until it is quiet clean. I would do this regardless.
3) look for a dimple in the chamber mouth caused from dry firing.
4) check extractors/ejectors for proper fit and function.

IF you notice that the fired case requires an unusual bit of effort to work the action - whether it extracts or not, this would seem to indicate that the case is sticking in the chamber. Check for dirty or damaged chamber.

If the action works relatively easily after firing but fails to extract, look to the extractors as being faulty and slipping over the case rim.

I've owned and shot about every kind of rimfire slide action, and I have found the Model 61 to be one of the best and most reliable. If I was allowed to own only one slide action rimfire, the 61 would be it. A little logical investigation will get you to the bottom of the problem.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:39 PM
Catrucker

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Everything appeared to be in good condition, with the exception of a slight dry fire dimple. Using a toothpick, I could feel a little ridge at the chamber entrance. I used a small round file and smoothed it out, being careful to not enter past the beginning of the rifling. Hopefully that was it. When I get a chance I'll try it out again.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:09 PM
Catrucker

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I got out with it again, it was better, but not as good as I think it should be. Many empty's didn't clear the gun, and I had to turn it on it's side and dump them out.
Sometimes if I racked it with authority, it would eject, but not throw the empty very far.
I'm not sure how the extractor should look, I'm going to see what I can find out online, and maybe order new ones. Is there a kit with those parts?
Old 04-08-2021, 03:19 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
just a thought,
I would also check the extractor hole next to the chamber to make sure there is no dried dirt not letting the extractor close all the way. I use a dental pick to clean that dried stuff out. Mine had a good little cake of it in there.

Last edited by jstanfield103; 04-09-2021 at 03:20 AM.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:01 PM
Catrucker

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That's a good idea. I will check that as well as looking over everything else and compare it all to images of new ones online.