9422 - Surprise Wood - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:56 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)

I believe he gave you the wrong rifle...but I doubt you will want to go back and get the $250 gun you were supposed to receive. Sweet deal for you!
Old 03-25-2021, 07:35 PM
MT_DD_FAN
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
That is called Grand Theft Winchester.
THIS^!!!!
Old 03-25-2021, 07:58 PM
toivo

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
It was good of you to double the price. He clearly didn't know what he had. I'm wondering how he came by that rifle. Maybe it was gifted to him. If he bought it, it must have a been a l-o-o-o-o-o-ng time ago for him to have so little idea of the current value.

I've seen Gunbroker listings for comparable rifles that start at over $1000.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:09 PM
LongRod

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgwoodsman View Post
About 2 months ago I was offered a Winchester 9422 XTR 22lr sight unseen for $250 - to which I agreed to it. I hadnít gotten around to see or pick it up until today. When the fella pulled it out I was pleasantly surprised by the stock grain and condition. I doubled the agreed upon price, he felt like he won, and I did too.

Iíve always been a sucker for nice wood - especially on production guns that arenít typically known for it. And although I wouldíve brought this one home regardless, I likely wouldíve been in a bigger rush to get my hands on it had I known how pretty it is.

Geesh, my tongue was hanging out for one back in the early 80's but I just didn't have the money. I did correctly guess that they would soon be discontinued due to high production costs. You did VERY well!
Old 03-25-2021, 09:57 PM
Bigdog357

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congrats, that is one beautiful 9422, I have a nice XTR but it does not have furniture on it like that. That is a $1200 gun all day long in this market.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:10 AM
Hawkeye28
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Light candles and be thankful.......seems legal theft based on wood.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:12 AM
toivo

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
All right, this rifle calls for the ...

SPECIAL LINK OF APPROVAL

Last edited by toivo; 03-26-2021 at 01:14 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 03-26-2021, 08:49 AM
jsgwoodsman

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Iím still very pleased with it. In all honesty Iíd have happily paid more for it... but have more than once tried to offer a seller substantially more for a gun than the price they - and was refused sale. Some guys seem to either be insulted when their valuation is off (even when it benefits them) or they hear a higher offer and wonder if the gun is a unicorn and donít want to sell it at all.

This fella took it well and left smiling. As did I!

Unforeseen circumstances aside, this one will be passed down to the next generation in the future (actually heís already claimed it as his own after seeing it).
Old 03-26-2021, 02:44 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Winchester 9422 holds a special place in my heart. For those who have read me telling this story before, I apologize. In 1972 when the 9422 was introduced, I worked for a large hardware store chain and attended the winter convention in Kansas City and they had one on display that I got to handle. It took me about 15 years before I was able to buy one of my own, but I just really love them, they are the nicest little .22 rimfire rifle that Winchester ever made, in my opinion.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:39 PM
TimHa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
surprise Winchester

A fine specimen for sure. I was with Bob at a ARPC show several years ago when we spotted that 9422, I've never seen factory wood like that was, looking back now, maybe someone restocked it, anyway I seem to remember a price of 900+. The 9422 is a great piece of workmanship, thanks for posting the great pictures, Tim.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:52 PM
Dairyboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
He was willing to let that go for $250?? Such a beautiful gun! And good on you for doubling the price as like said still a steal and I'm sure the seller was thrilled
Old 03-27-2021, 05:38 PM
Skirmsher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgwoodsman View Post
Iím still very pleased with it. In all honesty Iíd have happily paid more for it... but have more than once tried to offer a seller substantially more for a gun than the price they - and was refused sale. Some guys seem to either be insulted when their valuation is off (even when it benefits them) or they hear a higher offer and wonder if the gun is a unicorn and donít want to sell it at all.

This fella took it well and left smiling. As did I!

Unforeseen circumstances aside, this one will be passed down to the next generation in the future (actually heís already claimed it as his own after seeing it).
Reminds me of a story a retired LEO told me. When he was a rookie his uncle who was retired highway patrol offered my friend the retireeís original service revolver and rig for what heíd paid for it 30 or more years earlier, something ridiculous like $25 or $50. My friend was so pleased when he got the gun that he sent him a check for double that or so. Next he gets an angry call from his Uncle saying ďI want my gun back.Ē He was quite annoyed but then settled down after getting a new check for the agreed upon result.

Skirmisher
Old 03-31-2021, 06:13 PM
raven1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
9422-Surprise Wood

What does the forearm wood look like?
Old 04-19-2021, 09:59 AM
jsgwoodsman

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Here is the whole rifle alongside another early 9422 with wood thatís not nearly as nice but the gun itself is in remarkable condition.

The forearm on the fancy stocked 9422 isnít anything exceptional (as asked earlier).

Both were yesterday... which is always a pleasure.

Both are equally smooth and accurate.
The fancy stocked rifle grouped pretty well at 25 yards leaned against a tree for a vertical rest. Target shown is a 5-shot group into a traced quarter. They popped steel and rolled cans for a solid hour after that before getting cleaned and tucked away again.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:19 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Very nice pair of 9422s! The fancy one makes the plain one look better and visa versa, kind of like the girls I used to dateNice to know youíre shooting them , makes me want to shoot mine.