Ham, Shortwave, CB Radio - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-30-2021, 05:34 AM
Rat458
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W8LON View Post
I had a phased array with two 102 whips on front corner and rear corner of a full size Bronco back in the day. We run uppers on SSB with a President HR2510 and a 350watt heater.10am every morning would talk to a buddy in Florida that wintered there. His wife in church one Sunday morning informed him no more talking in the parking lot! Guess everything he said come through the church PA system with colorful language.
I used a modified 2510 with 60 watt finals .
Drove long haul and they were very popular running in FM.
Wished they still made it.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:57 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rolling Stone westbound with the hammer down and shaking the bushes for smokies; ah, the good ole days. sigh!
Old 01-31-2021, 05:09 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My antenna arrived. I'll tune it tomorrow.

I won't be using it much, as it stands no chance of clearing my carport.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:22 PM
syfr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Extra class ham here... been licensed for 50+ yrs and still enjoy a good CW rag chew. Anyone can get licensed... it's not that hard. Let me know if you have any questions.

Never been interested in CB.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:54 PM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by syfr View Post
Extra class ham here... been licensed for 50+ yrs and still enjoy a good CW rag chew. Anyone can get licensed... it's not that hard. Let me know if you have any questions.

Working on getting my Technician now. I will be taking the test in a couple of Saturdays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALPhil View Post
This is General Mobile Radio Service or GMRS. This option can handle much more power, and thus more range. It also opens up access to something called repeaters that can extend your ability to communicate far beyond what your personal equipment can accomplish. The fee for this license is $75, and that is good for 10 years, so your license fee is $7.50 a year.
Word on the street is that the FCC just dropped the fee for this licence to $35/10 years. An even better deal and should not stand in anyone's way.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:02 PM
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Extra class ham here... been licensed for 50+ yrs. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

R
Old 02-03-2021, 05:36 PM
W8LON

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Quote:

Working on getting my Technician now. I will be taking the test in a couple of Saturdays.

Quote:
This is General Mobile Radio Service or GMRS. This option can handle much more power, and thus more range. It also opens up access to something called repeaters that can extend your ability to communicate far beyond what your personal equipment can accomplish. The fee for this license is $75, and that is good for 10 years, so your license fee is $7.50 a year.
Word on the street is that the FCC just dropped the fee for this licence to $35/10 years. An even better deal and should not stand in anyone's way.
The nw fee is not a good deal for those already licensed as it was I believe $12 renewal fee. Now if you move this $35 is collected each time. I moved three times after passing the test renewing and paying the fee each time.
Many hams see this as a way to see fewer renewals and lose more band space that the FCC sells to commercial users. The allocated frequencies have already shrunk over the years in many bands. If hams are not using these bands, they are reallocated to commercial use.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:38 PM
mushka
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got a novice license in 88. Needed to learn code for that one, 5 words per minute. The novice is no longer given . Technician is the beginning license now, no code. Gives you the right for 220/440 VHF, used mostly for local use. Also allows limited use of high frequency frequencies. Testing is required but not difficult with a little study. Best bet is to go online for the local ham radio club in your area, contact them and they will be glad to talk to you about it and set up testing. I've got about two thousand dollars involved in my ray radios and antennas and am a general class operator. I've talked to people all over the world with my radios.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:59 PM
TwoFast4Me

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I traded for this from a friend and gave it to my son, he got his license and now i have it back. I just might have to get certified.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210130_100127_1612403666509.jpg (166.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-03-2021, 08:49 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmjr1 View Post
My antenna arrived. I'll tune it tomorrow.

I won't be using it much, as it stands no chance of clearing my carport.
Can you not convert it to a magnetic mount? Does your cardio doc know you're playing with electricity?
Old 02-03-2021, 08:54 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
My antenna arrived.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Does your cardio doc know you're playing with electricity?
What are the risks of RF energy interfering with your mechanical ticker?
Old 02-04-2021, 12:12 AM
smatda
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There hasn't been a Morse Code requirement for ham licenses in years. Today there are three license classes: Technician, General, and Extra. Each has a multiple choice test that you must pass.

It's entirely possible to study enough material to take the Tech test, pass it, then take the General, pass it, then take the Extra and pass it..all in one sitting.

When I got my license in '94 there were six license classes: Novice, Tech, Tech+, General, Advanced and Extra. There were 5 multiple choice tests and 3 Morse Code tests (5, 13, and 20 words per minute). That's been streamlined over the years to the current system of 3 multiple choice tests.

Once you become a ham, you will be a part of a community that is really a huge network of friends both locally and across the world. Get plugged into a good group with lots of experience, and you'll find that most are willing to help.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:40 AM
W8LON

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Quote:
My antenna arrived.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Does your cardio doc know you're playing with electricity?
What are the risks of RF energy interfering with your mechanical ticker?
Likely very low if running legal power. Lots of hams running legal limit with a pacemaker. AM modulation of a CB radio is broad spectrum meaning it can splatter across many frequencies if a radio is messed with from factory settings. A rooftop antenna on top of a pickup cab would also lessen any chance of interference from rf. Hams running lower bands tend to have rear bumper mounted antennas as far away as they can from a vehicles sensitive electronics.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:21 PM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Anyone here using a discone for scanner frequencies. Thinking about using one in my attic and kind of like the Diamond D130NJ.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:27 PM
W8LON

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWolf View Post
Anyone here using a discone for scanner frequencies. Thinking about using one in my attic and kind of like the Diamond D130NJ.
Tried one many years ago and was disappointed. They are a compromise at best doing nothing well. A better option is a dual band j-pole as they offer gain in signal strength. I have purchased antennas from these folks years ago and also made my own.

http://www.arrowantennas.com/osj/j-pole.html