Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:49 PM
irishbob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
2245 Lite FTF...help

Hi. A friend asked me to help solve his recent FTF and light primer strike issues with his new (<500rds) 2245 Lite.
I've tried different mags and different SV and HV ammo. Same issues. Occasional (2rds out of 50) misfires, and almost one per mag or more of FTF. It's almost as if the slide is missing catching the round and then jamming it into the top of chamber or completely over it (stovepipe) and denting the brass. Attached are two pictures.

I noticed on the Mark IV there's a spring tension that pushes down on the mags, I presume to ease mag drops for reload. I have a Mark III that runs with no issues, and I didn't know if this downward pressure causes misfeeds? I tried pushing up on the bottom of mags, and it seemed to reduce but did not eliminate the issue.

Any help is appreciated. I have several Rugers but no Mark IV's, so I'm out of the loop on what issues show up on these. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190205_181941.jpg (506.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20190205_182519.jpg (509.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-11-2019, 10:21 PM
Big-Dummy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Aftermarket extractor?
Old 02-12-2019, 01:56 AM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I hate throwing money at the problem. I'd first try CCI Mini Mags and shoot about 500 of them to break the gun in. After that you should see a big difference in reliability.

Next, I'd order a Volquartsen main spring set and change out the main spring. It helped solve my problems by putting in the lighter spring. It keeps the bolt from closing too fast.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it works for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2019, 06:31 AM
bubba68
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Couple more questions for you. Has the gun and especially the bolt been cleaned completely? Have the magazines been cleaned and not oiled? Does the follower button slide up and down in the slot smoothly if it doesn't there could be burrs in the slot that slows the follower from keeping up with feeding the bullet into the chamber. The slot can be smoothed out if it is gritty.

Does the mag make an audible click when it is seated in the mag well? If not check to make sure the mag catch is working smoothly.

If this doesn't help let us know for some more helpl
Old 02-12-2019, 08:21 AM
Big-Dummy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
It sure looks like a classic case of a sharp aftermarket extractor digging into the case and not letting it slide up into place on the bolt. A little bevel and polish on the underside of the extractor tip fixes that.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:17 AM
bubba68
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is a picture of a rounded extractor. I believe the picture was posted by Test Engineer.

Last edited by bubba68; 03-07-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:37 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Bob.

The extractor can cause "partial feed" jams, but this gun is having "over-run" jams. This happens when the rim isn't getting up high enough for the bolt to hang onto until the mag releases it.

The first possibility is that the mag isn't lifting the bullets fast enough for the bolt to catch the rim well. Check that the follower button is moving up smoothly as mentioned above. If it seems okay, make sure the grips aren't interfering with the mag button's upward travel. Soft, squishy type grips often do this when tightened down. There needs to be some clearance there.

The other possibility is the rear feed lips are too close together. The back of these lips should be about 0.020" wider apart than the front of them. I usually set mine to 0.210" at the back and 0.190" at the front. But my pistols aren't 22/45s, and the "Lites" are usually the worst about feeding. I would use a 0.220" and 0.200" setting for these pistols. New mags are typically set close to 0.200" front and back from the factory.

I've also read that some people have gotten better feeding by removing the mag ejector spring and plunger. That's another thing to try.

As for the light strikes, it appears this pistol has been modified with at least a new trigger. I assume it probably has the VQ accurizing kit installed as well. Check the firing pin. If it has the 2-hole Ruger firing pin, replace it with an aftermarket pin. VQ or TK both make good ones. I haven't heard of any problems with the Majestic Arms one, although not many people post that they're using it. I suspect that's because it has a couple extra holes drilled into it, but it lacks the design flaw that makes the Ruger pin break.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:20 AM
irishbob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you, I will check all that. I ordered him a Vol recoil spring kit. I'm gonna look into the mag issue, then deal with the firing pin (it's stock). The only thing I replaced for him was the trigger, I didn't do the whole accurizing kit. It seemed to me to be a feeding issue, so it's the bolt, spring, or mags. Will advise.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:37 PM
Stokesdead

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I had the same problem on an awesome Mark IV 22/45 Lite in green. I could shoot mini mags the with the highest success rate but still not 100%. It was very frustrating because it was intended to be a suppressor host. I tried every suggestion that has been mentioned so far. Different mags, tuning mags, new extractor, VQ parts, factory parts, deleted the mag eject spring, etc. Ruger sent me mags because initially one of my original factory mags was a bit rough. I eventually got a return label from Ruger and sent them the pistol. They replaced the entire bolt. I still had issues and again returned it to Ruger. They replaced it with a new gun.

As much as I wanted that model in that particular finish. I was soured from the experience so I sold the 22/45 lite new in box and bought a threaded stainless 5.5" target model and have had 0 failures with any ammo.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:37 AM
irishbob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well that's not good news and I am guessing where this will end up.

I took another 2245 bolt and dropped it in this gun..... zero problems. And this bolt in the other 2245 caused same misfeeds. So I think problem solved.

I order a Vol spring set and gonna try the reduced recoil on it just for fun, but I think a new bolt is in order.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:04 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbob View Post
I took another 2245 bolt and dropped it in this gun..... zero problems. And this bolt in the other 2245 caused same misfeeds.
That's interesting Bob. Can you post a picture of the 2 bolt faces side-by-side?

I would have to guess that the bad bolt was milled a little different at the bottom where it picks up a round, or the bolt face is rough enough to impede the round from sliding up. It's an easy fix if it's the latter.

If it's a milling problem, you may get Ruger to trade you bolts without having to send back the entire gun. I had a bolt break under the extractor and Ruger sent me a new bolt along with a postage paid return envelope for the broken one.