HD Military strike failures...anyone solve it? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:17 AM
irishbob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HD Military strike failures...anyone solve it?

I was following the previous thread about failures to fire on the HD. I picked up an 1947 and have had consistent failures to fire. No rhyme or reason when it'll go off.

When the hammer drops and it does not fire, it will fire the 2nd time when re-cocked and trigger press.

I swapped out the recoil spring. I did not swap out the mainspring.
Same issue.
I bought a firing pin from Interarms, thinking mine had shortened over time. They measured the same and with the new firing pin the same thing happens.
I pushed on the slide each time to see if it wasn't fully seating, and pressed the trigger. Same failures.

Any thoughts? Here's some ammo, Y means it fired, N means it's an unfired bullet. No visible difference on the pin indent between them all.

Since I don't know the history of the pistol, i'm wondering if it's a machining issue somewhere in the breach face? Or could it be the mainspring?

I may ship to Interarms to fix. Any thoughts are appreciated.

bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180513_121020.jpg (491.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-13-2018, 11:56 AM
HSWayne
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ammo not firing

Have you pulled the bullets from the cases that did not fire and looked inside the cases to see if there is primer material in the rim where the firing pin hit is located? Misfires with .22 ammo is more often ammo related than firing pin related, in my experience. Most of the time, a misfired round will fire if it is inserted into the chamber with the first pin dent turned away from where the pin will hit when tried again. I took apart a cartridge a few months ago that did not have any priming material in the case.

The hits on your cases look consistent so I do not think it is a pin problem.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:14 PM
irishbob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This has happened with different kinds of ammo over 4 different occasions, so it's not an ammo malfunction IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2018, 05:02 PM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Firing Issues

Do you have a chamber ding or evidence that one has been removed with a file or grinder ?? With the slide off, does the stop lug lean even the slightest amount to the rear ?? When you removed an unfired round is the bullet deformed, bent, or cut ?? Have you recently changed the Firing Pin or Extractor springs ?? Does this happen if you put a single round in the chamber, close the slide, and pull the trigger ?? Pull the bullet on a round that did not fire, pour the powder on a white sheet of paper, and check to see if there are some yellow specks mixed in with the darker gun powder. These are a few starting areas to check out !!-
Alan Aronstein
Old 05-13-2018, 06:48 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (56)
You didn't mention changing the FP spring. Everything but it,right?

The "Yes" rounds almost look bulged,as if there is a head space issue.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:41 PM
irishbob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Round 2 and pics

Took to range. Still does it, tried 3 kinds of ammo so ammo isn't the issue.

Did same failure to fire with or without mag inserted.

Is hammer supposed to finish so high?

Stop lug actually is slightly inboard, not protruding.

Still haven't tried switching main spring.

Any further ideas I'm all ears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180514_061830.jpg (141.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20180514_061743.jpg (182.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20180514_061810.jpg (124.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20180514_203630.jpg (110.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20180514_203645.jpg (475.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-14-2018, 07:43 PM
irishbob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Aronstein View Post
Do you have a chamber ding or evidence that one has been removed with a file or grinder ?? With the slide off, does the stop lug lean even the slightest amount to the rear ?? When you removed an unfired round is the bullet deformed, bent, or cut ?? Have you recently changed the Firing Pin or Extractor springs ?? Does this happen if you put a single round in the chamber, close the slide, and pull the trigger ?? Pull the bullet on a round that did not fire, pour the powder on a white sheet of paper, and check to see if there are some yellow specks mixed in with the darker gun powder. These are a few starting areas to check out !!-
Alan Aronstein
Is that stop lug being to the rear (slide is on in that pic) a problem?

Note it was doing the same failures to fire when I bought it with the old springs and when I swapped out the new springs, and I did swap the firing pin spring as well.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:51 PM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stop lug

Take the slide off !!!! Then I can see if there is a problem !!! I can fix your pistol but NOT on the computer screen.- Alan Aronstein
Old 05-15-2018, 05:51 AM
moonjohn
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It looks to me that the slide is not original to the gun.
Check to see if the serial numbers match.

It looks to me that the Pick-up Spring Screw isn't installed correctly.
This could cause the firing pin to drag on the screw.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:15 AM
irishbob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Aronstein View Post
Take the slide off !!!! Then I can see if there is a problem !!! I can fix your pistol but NOT on the computer screen.- Alan Aronstein
Here is the slide removed. I see the stop lug is slightly recessed. I removed it and flipped it around, but it's recessed regardless of which side of it faces outward.

Moonjohn... i saw what you meant with that screw, took firing pin out and fully screwed it flush and reinstalled...same failures to fire. As for slide being not from this pistol, there is no serial number on the slide to compare to the frame, so I'd have no way of knowing, although it appears to match the frame in bluing and overall look.

So it failed to shoot both when I purchased this used gun, and after I swapped springs (except mainspring), and failed with various kinds of ammo.

Help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180516_103824.jpg (506.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-17-2018, 06:11 AM
moonjohn
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The serial number is not on the outside of the slide.
The last 4 numbers of the serial number would be on the bottom of the slide.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:52 AM
gvt1911

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
"I bought a firing pin from Interarms, thinking mine had shortened over time. They measured the same and with the new firing pin the same thing happens."

Do you have the correct firing pin ? There are 2 different types. One has a flat bottom to go with the straight across top stop lug and the other is a smaller round pin that goes with the "notched" stop lug. Best to post clear pic of the underside of slide and the stop lug in frame. Maybe could be mis matched?
Old 05-17-2018, 07:28 AM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HD Picture

I need to see a side view of the frame in the area of the stop lug. Both sides. - Alan Aronstein
Old 05-18-2018, 05:22 AM
irishbob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
gvt1911.... flat bottom firing pin was original. I mistakenly bought a round shank replacement and the pistol wouldnt cycle, as it was scraping the stop lug. Replaced with new flat one, same length as original and same failures with both.

moonjohn... yes of course i forgot to look under the slide. same serial #

alan... here are the pics. The only thing I have noticed is the Stop Lug Plunger does not consistently ride up to push against the notch on the Stop Lug when I put the Stop Lug upright. I don't know, but I don't think that would cause the slide to not fully return to battery...would more likely cause it to not cycle all the way back if the Stop Lug was leaning a bit forward. Anyway, I wanted to point that out.

Pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180518_060553.jpg (514.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20180518_060624.jpg (478.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20180518_060520.jpg (470.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-18-2018, 07:08 AM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try again !!!

I need to see the frame side views- ONLY. I don't need to have the slide in the picture. The stop lug needs to be in the UPRIGHT position. Is it stuck in the lower position as shown ??? Call me @ 713 476 0888- Alan Aronstein