Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:22 PM
MikeMyers
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
High Standard Sharpshooter 103 series - User Issues

I visited someone who was selling quite a bit of his very large collection of handguns and rifles. After looking over some of the guns, I left him a message that what I was really after was a good competition quality handgun for bullseye shooting. When I went back to see him, he showed me this gun, which is now mine:

My problem is I know next to nothing about the gun, other than that High Standard used to produce some extremely accurate guns. I've already got a S&W Model 41, but after one look at this gun, I was sold.

I checked this page to look up the serial number:
http://www.histandard.info/datapubli...pserialno.html

They do have a "G prefix with 5 digits" column, but I can't understand how to read the chart. I think it means my gun was built in 1975.

Is anyone here familiar with High Standard guns, who can tell me exactly what this is? The person I bought it from told me it was reworked years ago, and fitted with a special barrel and the red dot sight. Once I know "what" it is, I'd like to try to find some documentation on how to maintain it, and what all the controls do.

It feels like it's balanced perfectly, and probably because of the special grip, it feels like it was specially made specifically for my hand.

There isn't exactly an overabundance of information on High Standard guns on the net, and what little information I did find seems to be from many years ago. I've been told that the "lever" on the left side is the lock, the "lever" (that you push) on the right side is the slide release (which is never done to allow the slide to slam forward), and the round "button" on the very front is to release the barrel. I think.

Thanks in advance for any help someone can give me, or point me in the right direction to find what I'm looking for. (I've already called High Standard, and maybe they'll actually return my call eventually....) Hopefully there is a user guide, or a manual, or even a "how to clean" list that I can download.

Last edited by MikeMyers; 04-12-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:53 PM
Steve S

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I think you'll want John Stimson, whose site you visited, to comment on it.
On RFC is know here as "SGVictor". Or, you can to back to his own site and post on his forum. Note if you do, to read his Forum Rules for a complete description, complete serial number and your full name.
Better photo's would help of where it was made, etc.

Looks to me like it is a "G" series by your given serial number and made in 1975 as you say, but it surely also seems to me that either it is a custom barrel, or an OEM barrel that someone machined down to octagon.

But yours appears to be the "slant" grip 104 series which was made in 1975. Also, normally they would say the model name (such as Tournament, Citation or Trophy) on the left side of the frame above the trigger guard, but I don't see anything there in the photo. IF it is an oem slide, it would appear to be a Citation or Trophy that has been modified and / or chomed or nickled. But neither do I see an overtravel screw in the trigger. Are there any markings or symbols on the underside of the barrel? Are there any letters stamped on the frame rails beside the mag. well?
Dont recognize the grips--look like bakelite or plastic or Tenite variations of the Herrett National grip

Here is John's home page and Forum tab. Ask John, if anyone knows it will likely be him.

http://www.histandard.info/

http://www.histandard.info/models/pistols/104.html

Last edited by Steve S; 02-18-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:24 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't remember the name of the barrel, but according to the seller, it was a custom barrel that was installed on the gun.

I thought people weren't supposed to post full serial numbers on internet forums? If that's not the case, I'll post that from now on.

The grips are "Accu Riser", and on the bottom of the grips it says "A-102".

There is nothing but polished metal in the spot where you say the model name should be.

No visible letters or numbers anywhere on the gun that I can see.

The magazine looks unusual to me (but maybe it's "normal looking" to everyone here:

I can post a link to the original image of the gun, very high quality, not squinched down to fit onto a web page.... Should I?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2015, 07:54 PM
Steve S

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The magazine on the left looks "normal" to me for a slant grip aka 104 HS pistol. But the green mag follower does look to be riding a little high--check to see if the mag. spring is in correctly or if it's in backwards. The 2 mags on the right look to be for your SW 41, correct? HS mags are very easy to take apart--depress the follower with a sliver of wood paint stirrer until the button on the follower is even with the hole for it in the slot--I do it by putting the base of the mag. against a stop or the bottom of my vice, push on the stirrer with my right hand and pull the button out with my left hand fingers or with a small pair of pliers. Pull the button out of the follower and remove the follower and spring from out of the top. The round portion of the top coils should be facing the forward portion of the magazine and the open end of the top coil should be facing the back of the magazine.

No, nothing wrong with posting a serial number on the internet--at least I've never had a problem and I don't know anyone who has. An Urban Legend I think, until I hear otherwise.

I've heard of Accurizer grips but never seen any that I can remember. The A 102 likely means they were for the 102 series slant grip HS guns, but as you have found, grips for the 102, and 103 and 104 series were interchangeable between frames for those 2 different series guns.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:34 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you Steve!

Just to confirm, you're suggesting I use a (wood?) paint stirrer stick, to push the green mag follower all the way down, until it is level with the round hole (shown in my photo), and then just pull the pin out, and gradually release the mag follower and spring? If so, I will put this on my to-do list.

Are additional magazines like this available for sale somewhere? I'd really like to have a second one around, if possible.

What I'd like most of all, is some kind of "user guide" or "manual" that shows me how to disassemble the gun for cleaning. If you know where I can buy, or copy this, I'd very much appreciate it.

Is there any article about this gun posted here in these forums? I don't (yet) know the difference between "Tournament", "Citation", and "Trophy".

I'll sign up on John's website in a few minutes. No problem with full name (I already do that), and based on what you said, I won't worry about serial number any more. (I saw some people using asterisks for the last few digits, so I figured that's how it should be done.)

So, it's likely that I have a "104 High Standard Pistol, either Tournament, Citation, or Trophy".

Do you by any chance know what kind of ammunition these guns like the most, or maybe I should ask, are there any that I should avoid? I know my model 41 can be very picky about ammo - no idea about how sensitive the HS is.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:19 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I left a link in John's forum back to this one, and here's a link to what I posted in his forum:

http://disc.yourwebapps.com/discussi...%20Information
Old 02-18-2015, 09:31 PM
HSWayne
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pistol

Mike,
Your pistol appears to be a nickel plated series 103 Sport King. A manual can be downloaded here: http://www.histandard.info/manuals/l.../0136D150R.pdf

John Stimson can tell you for sure from the serial number.

Magazines can be ordered from Brownells or you can buy used ones from eBay. You need to know what you are looking at on eBay, or you may end up with an older Triple K piece of junk. Your magazine is an original one, so you should look for one exactly like it. The round count numbers on the side of the magazine is the easiest way to tell an original from and aftermarket magazine.

Use standard velocity .22 LR ammo (i.e., CCI) in the gun.

I have used a Sport King with an Ultradot sight on it for Bullseye shooting. The only modification other than the addition of the mount and sight that I did to the pistol was to install an overtravel screw in the trigger. The gun compared favorably with the more expensive HS target versions.

To take off the barrel, remove the magazine, pull the slide back and use the slide release lever to hold it open, then use a 6 inch by 1 inch wood dowel to sharply rap the barrel release plunger to break it loose. Then push in the plunger with your thumb until you can remove the barrel. After you barrel is off, the slide can be removed by releasing the slide and letting it move forward and off the frame rails.

There is a wealth of information available on John Stimson's website. Just poke around on the various links, and use the search function on the forum for more information.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:42 AM
Steve S

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMyers View Post
Thank you Steve!

Just to confirm, you're suggesting I use a (wood?) paint stirrer stick, to push the green mag follower all the way down, until it is level with the round hole (shown in my photo), and then just pull the pin out, and gradually release the mag follower and spring? If so, I will put this on my to-do list.
Yes, exactly right
Old 03-27-2015, 09:26 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
The magazine on the left looks "normal" to me for a slant grip aka 104 HS pistol. But the green mag follower does look to be riding a little high--check to see if the mag. spring is in correctly or if it's in backwards......

I got two new magazines, one from High Standard several days ago, and an identical looking magazine from Brownells this afternoon. On both of the new ones, the "button" you would pull down to load bullets is slightly higher than on the original. Now that I have the new one, I'm ready to take the old one apart and check the spring - BUT - the same bullets that had been working flawlessly in the old magazine failed to load twice in a row with the new magazine from High Standard. I'll test this out tomorrow with my "test bullets" (plastic) and see if they work in one magazine, and not the other, and also test the other new magazine from Brownells.

It may not matter, but there are what appear to be "pins" that go through the plastic block at the bottom. On the magazine I got from Brownells, they go all the way through the plastic, and you can see the pin from either side. On the magazine I got from High Standard, when you look at the holes on the right side,all you see is red plastic. Is this a defect, and I should return it? It's a separate issue - I don't see how it could effect how well the bullets load into the gun. On the other hand, if one thing is wrong, there might be others which could cause my issue.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:23 AM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a problem with the new magazines; the first bullet would load into the gun, but none of the next bullets. It turns out that the Magazine Release on my High Standard rests against the rear of the magazine, at the bottom, and holds it in place. With the big thick plastic piece on the magazine, there is nothing for the magazine release to rest against, meaning the magazine is only held in place by friction.

People told me that either magazine would work, but that's impossible. So, the magazines need to be returned. .....which leaves me wondering why the magazines even have that plastic part attached. Was it for a different gun?

.....and more importantly, anyone know of a source for the proper magazines, with a metal bottom?

Last edited by MikeMyers; 03-30-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:43 PM
mr alexander

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
High Design .22 Pistol - Help Needed

MikeMyers,

At the very top of the available postings on RFC's "High Standard" section is a sticky that can be viewed. It is titled, "High Standard Rebuild Videos". Presented

by docv 73, it is broken down into several different categories. Although he uses a Victor model in the presentation, you may still find some info there

that would be beneficial. You certainly do not need to strip the pistol down as far as is shown in order to clean it. However, after watching the sticky, you

will have a better understanding of how the individual parts work together in an assembled firearm.

Last edited by mr alexander; 03-05-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:03 AM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Small update to this thread.

I posted a photo of my target from my first experience with the gun. To me, it meant there was lots of potential.

I went to the same range yesterday, firing 15 rounds, 5 at a time, at my own targets, specifically because they DON'T show where the holes are landing. Mr. Borland on thehighroad.org suggested I simply concentrate on the fundamentals, and try to make every shot perfect, and not think about my earlier shots. This is with the Tasco PDP3ST reed dot sight (as shown in my original post).

I did better than I've done with any other gun, at least for the past ten years, and probably when I was young as well. Six years ago, my groups were around 8" diameter. They've been coming down about an inch or so every year. Before yesterday, with few exceptions, they were between 3 and 4 inches.

With the High Standard, shooting at 15 yards, and 15 shots per target, my average group size came down by one inch, and the best of those targets is far better than I've ever done in my life. My goal for years has been 15 shots at 15 yards, in a 2" diameter group. Part of me didn't think I would ever do it.

This gun certainly helped a LOT in making it possible....