Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-02-2021, 01:49 PM
flyingsquirrel
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Ticks

This is my beagles bounty so far this year. Some were with snow on the ground. They are on NexGard year long so very few attach. About 4 belonged to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6918404C-9529-45AA-A37D-A234E0D25F5B.jpg (390.5 KB, 113 views)
Old 05-02-2021, 02:26 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I placed one in a tequila bottle cap filled with tequila @ the hunting shack. Rather than die after a 1/2 hr of swimming one began singing a happy tune... tough lil buggers.
Old 05-02-2021, 03:55 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Heck, that's not too bad at all. I have plucked two to five ticks off my pup everyday this past April. There's no sign in the pace slowing.

Have dog, will collect ticks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2021, 05:22 PM
Diamond777

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah, the midwest is a great place if you need to add to your tick collection.

I moved south and the ticks disappeared.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:50 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Plenty here in NC... Permethrin for your clothing, spray on clothing including shoes and socks, lasts about six weeks. If I'm not mistaken Horse owners use it to keep insects off their Horses, may work on dogs as well. I'd check with my Vet.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:11 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The MO Dept of Conservation is asking residents to mail them thier tics for a year long study.

Mals
Old 05-02-2021, 07:15 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Plenty here in NC... Permethrin for your clothing, spray on clothing including shoes and socks, lasts about six weeks. If I'm not mistaken Horse owners use it to keep insects off their Horses, may work on dogs as well. I'd check with my Vet.
That reminded me time to give my pup her Simpatico Trio (sarolaner-kills ticks moxidectin-heartworm, and pyranet-intestinal worms) chewable tablet. She gets one each month. Although I take several ticks off of her a day this season, since she been on the sarolaner none have ever been engorged and often they're dead.

Permethrin is good stuff to treat your outdoor gear with.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:55 PM
Njjr
National Guard Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Not sure I want to be in the same house with anyone who doesn't wash their sox for six weeks.
Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM
SquirrelAssassin

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Send a message via Yahoo to SquirrelAssassin
Quote:
Yep. It works on dogs as well, without any problems.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:26 PM
greenyonline
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ticks can be bad

Deer ticks are no joke in Maine. Lyme disease is caused by bacterium while a virus causes tickborne encephalitis. Both tickborne encephalitis and Lyme disease are transmitted principally by ticks. Left undiagnosed, encephalitis can and has killed within weeks. May through September being the most dangerous months.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:38 PM
mdew

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Was fueling the tractor and found a tick crawling on my arm. Sent him for a swim in a cup of diesel, backstroked for over 30 minutes then got squished.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:43 PM
arjay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Managed to get sick from one several years ago. 6 weeks of the flu..
Old 05-02-2021, 08:12 PM
onemountain

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I definitely don't miss ticks now that I'm living in SE AK. They give me the creeps.

When I was still living in Idaho I was a big fan of Sawyer's permethrin sprays for clothing and tents. It's pretty cool watching a tick climb onto your pant leg, struggle for a bit, then fall to the ground and die. Like having a super power
Old 05-02-2021, 08:38 PM
Technician1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ticks

turkey indiana, crawling everywhere, like ants during turkey. came home with one in my back. also head to toe in Sawyer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2021, 06:53 PM
nhw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I found some ticks on my dogs in late January. Who knew they would be out in the dead of winter? Dogs were already on Trifexis for heartworm and fleas. Vet prescribed NextGuard. It really works. My only hope is the ticks died a painful death. Of course now each dog gets two $25 pills each month.

I treat my clothes and boots with Sawyer Permethin. Hang to dry after washing and keep them in dark plastic tubs. Sunlight and mechanical tumbling can lessen the effectiveness of the Permethin. I use a final spray of Permethin on boots and pants as heading down the steps. On neck and arms I use a 20% Picaridin spray. It works wonders on mosquitoes and worry flies. May seem like overkill but I hate ticks. Working in heavy brush along fence lines is perhaps the most exposed you can get.

Sadly back when we ran cattle and they had treated ear tags there weren't any ticks anywhere on the place.