Problems with rounds failing to load into the chamber, Victor - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:05 AM
MikeMyers
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Problems with rounds failing to load into the chamber, Victor

A few years ago I purchased a rebuilt Victor from Roddy Toyota, with both iron sights and optics. It worked fine. I put it away for two years, while doing other things, and not shooting at all for almost a year thanks to the virus.

I took it to the range several days ago, and I had a problem. Every few rounds, it jammed. The round ended up pointed upwards, jammed into the top of the chamber opening. The end of the bullet got chopped up, and the case sometimes got bent near the bottom as the gun tried to force the round into the chamber.

I had two magazines, and while it happened the most with my #1 magazine, it still happened (but less often) with the #2 magazine.

The gun was thoroughly cleaned and lubricated, especially the chamber.

The only thing that sounds logical to me, is that the rounds are not aimed correctly when they come out of the magazine.

Three photos attached, view from left side of gun, from right side, and the gun.

I have no idea why they don't show up in the post, but they can be found at:
http://www.sgrid.com/2021/IMG_4186.JPG
http://www.sgrid.com/2021/IMG_4187.JPG
http://www.sgrid.com/2021/IMG_4183.JPG

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong in posting an image? I click on the tool to insert images, and paste the URL into the box.....

Last edited by MikeMyers; 04-24-2021 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-24-2021, 11:16 AM
mr alexander

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Problems with rounds failing to load into the chamber, Victor

MikeMyers,

Your magazines need to have their feed lips adjusted. For instructions

on how to do this, click on: https://histandard.info/Jim_Barta/hsclip.pdf.

Are the same brand of cartridges being used now as were in the past?

All sorts of dimensional differences do exist in the .22LR ammunition that

is available from the various makers. This can account for why one brand

feeds reliably while another, similar one does not. I believe this to be the

case with High Standards as these pistols do not have a feed ramp which

is integral with the barrel. Pistols having this feature, such as a Model 41,

are more forgiving with regard to feeding reliability when differing ammo

brands are being used.
Old 04-24-2021, 11:36 AM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you - will check that link now.

It was two years ago, so I may be confused, but back then I was shooting CCI and the Eley. I'm pretty sure I had switched to Eley, as the CCI was defective.

I'll try my newer CCI - that may fix it.

Alan Aronstein told me he has figured out how to adjust magazines when they come with the guns as new, so they work perfectly. I guess I can call him and ask if he can adjust them for me - but first I'll read the link you posted.

Depends on how hard or easy it is - and I do have a second set of magazines that came from Roddy along with the gun - I will try those before I do anything else.

That's a week away though, as I'm going to spend a week with my brother. There isn't really any rush, and now that I've got the X-Series, I don't really NEED the Victor for shooting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2021, 11:48 AM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Please respond to the email I just sent you - I'm sure the link you sent is my problem.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:02 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Deleted this post - I didn't understand about looking at the FEED LIPS, and that those were the lips at the REAR.

Last edited by MikeMyers; 04-24-2021 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:15 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Edit:

I was wrong. The place you guys are talking about is the leading edge of the FEED LIPS. On all four of Roddy's magazines, that front edge does NOT touch the round.

On the magazines Alan sent me for my X-Series, the leading edge of the FEED LIPS *is* touching the round, so it sits properly angled in the magazine

I'm slow to pick up on things, but I think it all makes sense now.

Now that I know where to look, it's obvious.

THANK YOU ALL for the help!!

Last edited by MikeMyers; 04-24-2021 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:26 AM
RodJ

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
That’s not any definition of a feed ramp that I’ve encountered. By that definition, the 1911 does not have a feed ramp. Feeding is controlled by the slide / extractor, magazine lips, mag follower, and very little by the feed ramp. Magazine lips are critical to proper feeding in a 1911. The feed ramp is completely passive and unable to control the feeding. It can interfere with it, but does not control it.

ETA: the bullet profile and seating depth also play as much or more in proper feeding in a 1911 than does the feed ramp.

Last edited by RodJ; 04-26-2021 at 10:30 AM.