Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

The "I still want to argue about whether I should participate in the recall" thread

16K views 184 replies 57 participants last post by  Big-Dummy 
#1 ·
The "I still want to argue about whether I should participate in the recall" thread

I paid to have a Volquartsen kit installed on my Mark IV. Now I have to pay to have it removed so I can return the pistol for the recall repairs. And then I get to pay to have the upgrade installed again. And Ruger offers me a magazine??

#84 ·
I think this is the thread where people were talking about marking their grips because they were worried they wouldn't get theirs back. I received the same grip back that I sent in. It still had the serialized sticker I attached and believe me, no one could have duplicated my lame attempt to stick the sticker on it.

#85 ·
I sent mine off yesterday. :bthumb:

Ruger made it easy as they could. I think they're handling this very well.

I'll have to endure shooting my Mk I Target, or my Woodsman MT whilst it is gone.:rolleyes:

Woe is Me.:D

This post has been deleted
#97 ·
Back From Recall

Got my lower assembly back from Ruger today. Fast turn around, 8 days from when I dropped it at the Post Office till it showed up back in my mailbox with the free magazine in place.

Safety feels more positive, will run a couple of magazines through it tomorrow.

Jim...

#103 ·
Time frame

For anyone that's gotten their return box and instructions in the last few days, what date did you get your email saying you were on the list? I'm just trying to get an idea of when I may get my return box. I was broken into and this is currently my ONLY rimfire pistol and I'm getting super anxious to do some shooting... If it's still going to be a while, I'll probably just go buy another rimfire pistol.

#107 ·
Got two emails this week

For anyone that's gotten their return box and instructions in the last few days, what date did you get your email saying you were on the list? I'm just trying to get an idea of when I may get my return box. I was broken into and this is currently my ONLY rimfire pistol and I'm getting super anxious to do some shooting... If it's still going to be a while, I'll probably just go buy another rimfire pistol.
I received two emails this week, Tues and Wed and the boxes came Friday. Will be putting them in the mail tomorrow. This will be three for me, two more to go. All has been great so far with mine.

#113 ·
For what it's worth I'm putting this out there as the owner of 2 new Mark IV's. I'm not trying to start another, "Should I send it in or not", argument. The 100 Year Anniversary Edition is most likely a recall gun. I say most likely because I have not received anything from Ruger concerning it as of yet. The Hunter is a post recall gun that left the factory with the safety modification.

Both safeties operate the exact same way. I can position both levers halfway in between "FIRE" and "SAFE", if I try to do so. I cannot make either one fire, regardless of how much I screw around trying to make it happen. In short, There is absolutely no difference in how either safety operates. If I blindfolded you, and handed you one weapon, then the other, and you fumbled around with both safeties until your heart was content.... You would not be able to tell the difference. Therefore I'm considering this entire matter closed. And I WILL NOT be sending my gun in for any modifications. Because both safeties work exactly as they were designed to. Instead I will enjoy shooting them. As always YMMV.

#119 ·
Mine goes out today

Received the box and instructions today. Got the email with printable form a couple of days ago. Followed all instructions and added packing tape to the box as suggested. We shall see how long it takes as it is Saturday and the wife hasn't headed to the post office to drop it off and pick up something to eat. Took pictures before so I can compare. I guess there is nothing much to see from what I have read though.

#128 ·
Quicker

Received my box on Saturday 8/5, dropped it off at the post office on Sunday, found it in my mailbox today, Friday 8/11. Didn't check the mail yesterday but I doubt it was in there then. The label was printed on the 8th. which was the day they got it. Nice turn around. I'm guessing they got their ducks in a row or they are coming to the end of the pistols showing up. I'll be sending for another box for my other pistol pretty soon and be done with it. I don't see anything different just by glancing at it but I will compare the two of them before sending in the second one. I hope everybody else has the same luck as I did.

#129 · (Edited)
Mine is also back and it took 10 days door to door. I never got the email that it was on the way back either. I did get an email that was called a "Receipt Acknowledgement" that also included my RMA number. The email told me they had received the grip frame, it was the recall, and their would be no charge.

The extra mag was in the grip frame, and the tech had scotch taped the mag ejector and the bolt stop release lever to the frame because I didn't send the grips. My Competition grips did not fit in the box because of the high thumb rest on the left grip. I could have forced it in but any dent would have potentially damaged the grip.

Now back to the range!

#130 · (Edited)
In the last few pages, this thread has more or less turned into a, "Look at how fast I got mine back!", contest. I would be far more interested to know what, if any actual "improvement" any of you have experienced since you sent it back? As I mentioned, I have both a recall Mark IV which I have not sent back, and a post recall Mark IV that had the modification done before it left the factory. And I cannot tell any difference in trigger or safety operation between the two. Both are identical. What say you? Regardless if it took 8 or 18 days to get it back is totally insignificant.

#131 · (Edited)
People get bored,,, they like to post. I got mine , yadda, yadda. And, here I am to join the party - nothin to do on a Sunday afternoon.

Bill, I if you ever decide to tear into these pistols for any reason, such as a VQ trigger upgrade., you could examine the old and new sear and try and figure out what they did and why. So far, those who know, if any, are not saying.

The "SAME" that you experienced is the expected result after the recall. Several have commented to that effect. No big deal. Everything is as it should be. No better, no worse and presumably the hammer does not hang up. Very few or just two on this forum ever did - if I counted the posts.

#132 ·
The trigger doesn't feel any different to me but the safety seems to be a little more positive when disengaged. I had the problem before that my hand would nudge the bi-clumsy safety and get it half engaged and not fire, now it doesn't move off of ready to fire as easy now. I was about to pull the extra safety lever off like the manual suggests when they had the recall.

#133 ·
What I am about to say has nothing to do with the recall issue. Just a slight off topic rambling about the safety detent.

I am still hoping the after market folks step up with a safety detent fix. I belive a steel detent ball (or pointy plunger) with a stronger spring will do the trick for a gun smith installed solutions. That will also call for a jig to drill a slight recess in the frame. That should do the trick for steel grip frames.

I lack the imagination to dream up anything simple that will help the polymer frames, short of a redesign. With polymer, I think it would have been better to place the ball and spring in the grip frame and design the outer safety lever with a positive recess. Too late for that now.

#140 ·
What I am about to say has nothing to do with the recall issue. Just a slight off topic rambling about the safety detent.

I am still hoping the after market folks step up with a safety detent fix. I belive a steel detent ball (or pointy plunger) with a stronger spring will do the trick for a gun smith installed solutions. That will also call for a jig to drill a slight recess in the frame. That should do the trick for steel grip frames.

I lack the imagination to dream up anything simple that will help the polymer frames, short of a redesign. With polymer, I think it would have been better to place the ball and spring in the grip frame and design the outer safety lever with a positive recess. Too late for that now.
I was hoping that Volquatsen would come out with a new safety. Mine didn't have the issue but with the idiotic way Ruger handled the recall I decided that I needed to have the new safety in it if I ever decided to sell it. Since I couldn't get an actual answer out of Volquartsen in spite of several phone calls it went back to Ruger. Just waiting for it to come back so I can pull all of the Ruger crap out and put the Volquartsen parts back in yet again.

#136 ·
my MKIV stainless target

came home with its original nice trigger pull, no change. the safety feels so much more positive, it actually "snaps" on or off. I am a happy camper, my pistol satisfies ALL my needs, just a tad heavy with the millett RD5 mounted. I am not complaining, it is just a heavy solid feeling pistol! I REALLY notice the weight if I shoot it and then switch to my S&W 622 6" !:eek::bthumb::harry:

#138 ·
sent mine in with the original parts in a bag, having removed the Volquartsen sear, hammer and trigger. No problems, Ruger had it back in a week with the updated parts installed and two magazines. Just took a quick review of the video to reinstall the Volquartsen kit, with modified sear. Great customer service from Ruger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#142 ·
I got my blued Target back today. 17 days from the day I shipped.
I cannot see a bit of difference in the way the safety operates. It is either full on or full off. The hammer will still fall if I put the safety halfway between on/off and pull the trigger just like it did before I sent it in. No problem to me, I just make sure the safety is full on or off the way it should be.
But, I got a free mag and the magic "S" on the safety.
I put the full VQ kit back in with reworked VQ sear and all is well.

#143 ·
I got my blued Target back today. 17 days from the day I shipped.
I cannot see a bit of difference in the way the safety operates. It is either full on or full off. The hammer will still fall if I put the safety halfway between on/off and pull the trigger just like it did before I sent it in. No problem to me, I just make sure the safety is full on or off the way it should be.
But, I got a free mag and the magic "S" on the safety.
I put the full VQ kit back in with reworked VQ sear and all is well.
The more of this I read, the more apparent it is to me Ruger did this for no more reason other than to get the legal monkey off their back. Either real or imagined. I've never seen a "safety recall" that actually accomplished less in reality, than this one has.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.