Ideas for upcoming funshoots - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
View Poll Results: Would you like to see equipment limits in some upcoming funshoots?
Yes 18 78.26%
No 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2004, 06:58 PM
knitepoet
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to knitepoet
Ideas for upcoming funshoots

I know the fun shoots have mostly been "shoot what you've got" matches. Would you be intrested in funshoots that have equipment restrictions such as minimum trigger pull, limits on scope power, possibly stock barrels only?
Paul
Old 04-12-2004, 09:08 PM
cheatermk3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I vote for shoot whatcha got. For me a lotta the fun is in the new game. It don't matter to me since any shootin' beats no shootin'. Whenever you take the game off the bench you're limiting the equipment in a way anyhow.

PS: I like the matchstick matches. Matchstick bowling was lotsa fun.

Last edited by cheatermk3; 04-12-2004 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:58 PM
graybeard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I voted yes because it might be fun for people to shoot off the bench without having a true benchrest gun have a chance of winning the matches. A person with a re-worked CZ could win the match, for instance. I am not sure about setting a limit on trigger weight, but a match using stock, non-heavy barrels guns would be instresting.
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2004, 09:57 AM
knitepoet

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard
I voted yes because it might be fun for people to shoot off the bench without having a true benchrest gun have a chance of winning the matches. A person with a re-worked CZ could win the match, for instance. I am not sure about setting a limit on trigger weight, but a match using stock, non-heavy barrels guns would be instresting.
Jim
Jim, that's part of my reasoning for this poll. Also, Mr. Haller is considering a sporter class for the email matches and we decided to "test the waters" with the fun shoot.
Paul
Old 04-13-2004, 04:20 PM
Ziplok

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Arrow I'm for 'shoot what ya got'

How bout just reporting what you are shooting = Rifle (or pistol) make, sights/scope used, action, 'modifications' from factory issue, ammo, position, etc.........along with the score shot. Then when the data is all in, hopefully from enough shooters who haven't had the playing field 'leveled' before they take a shot at a target, some brave soul with a spreadsheet can break the data down into some catagories... & see who came out on top of the pile. Do this a couple of times and you can start handicapping the top & bottomof the pile.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:05 PM
Geezer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Paul
Yah sure; I voted a yes here; it seems I've got a rifle for just about any event except a real bench gun.
Rob
Old 04-13-2004, 06:27 PM
knitepoet

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziplok
How bout just reporting what you are shooting = Rifle (or pistol) make, sights/scope used, action, 'modifications' from factory issue, ammo, position, etc.........along with the score shot. Then when the data is all in, hopefully from enough shooters who haven't had the playing field 'leveled' before they take a shot at a target, some brave soul with a spreadsheet can break the data down into some catagories... & see who came out on top of the pile. Do this a couple of times and you can start handicapping the top & bottomof the pile.
Couple of reasons Ziplock. 1) a lot of the folks who come to RFC do not have a "bench gun" and in all honesty they don't stand a chance against the tricked out 10/22's, the Suhls, Times, Annies ect in any bench type match. (20+ folks shot 250's @ 25 last month)

2) It's a "fun" match and doesn't need to become an equipment race. The serious benchrest shooters have numerous matches they can compete in here. There's not much for folks with a fairly stock "general purpose" rifle, even though they would like some friendly competition of some sort. Enter the "Fun Shoot"
Paul
Old 04-13-2004, 07:01 PM
claybuster
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to claybuster
Yes!

I voted "yes", Paul. I'd like to see a "plinker" class so those folks who don't own full blown bench guns have a chance to compete.

I'm not totally sure how to classify a plinker; maybe has to weigh less than 8#, has to be a "light" barrel, (say under 3/4" dia), have the original factory stock (with some modifications allowed), & maybe a max scope magnification of 12x or so. This would exclude most of the "bench" guns..............

This, of course, would also mean that we'd have to format the matches to be "shootable" within the limitations of these guns. Match heads @ 50 yards (I'll take the blame for that one!) might be a bit much for a Marlin model 60 with a 4x scope!

Last edited by claybuster; 04-13-2004 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:37 PM
Alaska Mike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Slipping in a quick vote for some kind of match stick bowling game again. The previous one was really a blast!!

Maybe another with some kind of game with the black death target.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:11 PM
kf4radio

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
lets have some more fun with it. How about 120yards bench shoot. Then we subtract distance like this:
10yards/pound of trigger pull.
20yards if using bags without a steady rest
10yards if no windage top
1 yard per scope X under 30.
add 20yards per .25 inch over .5 inch diameter at muzzle.
add 1yard per scope x over 30.

20yards minimum range.
lets see how well a tricked out gun runs at 120 or more compared to a stock CZ at 40?
This is just a suggestionf or a fun shoot, not for anything serious competition wise.

cheers!
Old 04-14-2004, 08:57 PM
Smokin Guns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Maybe another with some kind of game with the black death target
Yup! I'm game...that target is brutal!...
Old 04-14-2004, 09:33 PM
zilgin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I voted yes .. I think alot more people would play if they had a shot at being competitive....
I know first hand .... Last month I DNF.... ran outa' ammo

BTW Paul, I've got 2 decks of cards w/ only 50 in the box !

zilgin
Old 04-15-2004, 02:55 PM
knitepoet

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilgin

BTW Paul, I've got 2 decks of cards w/ only 50 in the box !

zilgin
Hmmm that makes two of us Actually I'm thinking of deviously fun things to do with those other 50 Check back with me May first
Paul
Old 04-15-2004, 04:09 PM
BigRemFan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I voted yes in Paul's poll. I mean, the poll posted by Paul. Oh, and Joe. That's if Joe also was polling in the Paul post. Or posting in the poll by Paul. But I guess Joe didn't inject any jargon in the poll. It just didn't jive that Joe joined in Paul's poll post, so I guess Joe just should generate a Joe Poll, or is it a Joe post with a general poll. Either way, thanks to Paul and Joe for clearing this up.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:56 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A club I used to belong to long time ago had sporter and target league. Sporter shot stock with up to 6x scope-target shot 40x type rifles(iron sight) . On the last evening of the shoot rifles were switched-ie target shot sporter guns etc. Made for fun--thus FUN NIGHT.