Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:35 PM
juano2001

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Proper Sling Use

Hi All

I just picked up an IZHMASH CM2. I would like to try some entry level prone shooting. It came with a single point sling. Can anyone offer some guidance on the proper use and setup of this sling. Pics would be a great help.

Thanks
Old 08-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Charlotte
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
Congrats on getting the CM-2. I LOVE mine! Is it a bargain, or what?!
It's a single point sling. It's pretty simple to use, but it's not a very good sling since the "Keepers" or the little leather loops including the one with the plastic tip inside aren't very effective at keeping the sling snugged up on the upper arm.
I'm replacing it with a cuff sling from champchoice.
The point of the sling is to make support of the weight of the rifle something that relies on bone support and not muscular effort. I've read that 92% of the weight is supported on the front arm. I can't argue against or support that number, but the sling definely makes a huge difference over no sling or a 2 point sling.
Get the sling on the upper arm attach the handstop to the rail approximately the same distance from the trigger as the butt plate is from the trigger as a starting point. Adjust the length of the sling by sliding the strap through the buckle until you can place your left hand (meaty part of your thumb actually) under the forestock with the sling on the back side of your wrist coming around the little finger side of the wrist and back to the upper arm. Fuzzy described it to me as feeling like a hammock, and I'd have to agree with that since I developed wrist problems when I was using a tighter feel.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:10 PM
juano2001

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte
Adjust the length of the sling by sliding the strap through the buckle until you can place your left hand (meaty part of your thumb actually) under the forestock with the sling on the back side of your wrist coming around the little finger side of the wrist and back to the upper arm.
Not sure I get this part?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2006, 06:39 AM
Al D.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Juano,
What she means here is that with the rifle stock resting on the heel of your support hand, the sling should come across the back of the support hand and around the little finger side of that hand. It is important that the support hand be in a fairly straight position, i.e, visualize a straight line running from the back/top of the forearm across the back of the hand. The wrist should not be bent backward or cocked to one side. You control these elements by the location of the sling attachment point and by the length of the sling. Hope this helps.
Al
Old 08-09-2006, 07:16 AM
Charlotte
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
You are just going to have to spend some time on the floor experimenting with length and point of attachment to find the right mix for you. It's just trial and error buddy. Once you think you have it, watch some tv from the prone position in the sling. You'll be spending 20 minutes at a time wearing that sling across the back of your hand in a prone match, get used to being in the sling long enough to really evaluate the tension.

Last edited by Charlotte; 08-10-2006 at 02:47 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:51 AM
keith custard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
sling use

every time i run across a "sling use" thread i consider commenting. this time i will. i am a cmp garand master instructor, nra smallbore and high power coach. even with pictures and videos it is difficult (read imposible) to teach this anyway but "hands on"
Old 08-10-2006, 10:10 AM
juano2001

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith custard
every time i run across a "sling use" thread i consider commenting. this time i will. i am a cmp garand master instructor, nra smallbore and high power coach. even with pictures and videos it is difficult (read imposible) to teach this anyway but "hands on"
I'm not looking for grand master level instruction...just a start. I suppose I could take several years of trial and error to eventually figure out what works best for me or maybe I wouldn't even. Much easier to get a start by asking the question on here. When you don't even know which direction the sling goes around your arm, pictures, videos and verbal instruction will go a long way. My club is pretty much exclusivley the hunt crowd sighting in or practicing so no one available for any type of "hands on". The time you took to list your credentials could better have been used by typing a couple pointers...I would have appreciated it anyways.

Cheers
Old 08-10-2006, 02:17 PM
stray round

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Pictures! Look under sling helps on this site for either the leather or web slings.

http://www.ray-vin.com/frtech.htm

The site doesn't say to expect it to be uncomfortable at first or that you need to change the sling lenght for different positions to have the right tension. Try to keep an upright head position as much as possible and let the gun point where it wants to, swivel your body position to get the sights on target while keeping your form to keep your natural point of aim.

At least this is the general consensus, now if I could just make it work for me.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:45 PM
juano2001

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stray round
Pictures! Look under sling helps on this site for either the leather or web slings.

http://www.ray-vin.com/frtech.htm

The site doesn't say to expect it to be uncomfortable at first or that you need to change the sling lenght for different positions to have the right tension. Try to keep an upright head position as much as possible and let the gun point where it wants to, swivel your body position to get the sights on target while keeping your form to keep your natural point of aim.

At least this is the general consensus, now if I could just make it work for me.
Thanks....much appreciated!!! I noticed the gun wants to point in a certain direction. I thought it pretty neat the first time I got rigged up semi -correcty and the gun just kind of sat in left hand seemingly weightless and it wanted to point in one direction, never thought to orient myself that way. Can't wait to spend more time on the line. As for the uncomfortable part...glad to hear it I though maybe I it was just me doing something wrong !!
Old 08-14-2006, 04:15 AM
tim slater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some useful tips for sling use and body alignment:

Get your sling hand set up first, don't try and do this while the rifle is "on aim".

Don't put the rifle butt into your shoulder by placing your hand on the grip. Instead place your thumb on the buttplate before raising the rifle. This forces you to roll your shoulder joint, keeping the butt more firmly in place.

Put your hand on the grip before dropping your elbow onto the ground; it is much easier to maintain a constant grip position this way, and it also helps to get the elbow right too.

When traversing a multi-bull target, you will have to realign your body for each shot. At first take the time to do this properly, check your aim by closing your eyes and taking a gentle breath. Open your eyes and you should still be aligned on the target, if not alter your body position slightly.

When moving your hips to realign your body, the shooting arm must be replaced relative to the body. It doesn't stay in the exact same place all the way, as otherwise your shoulder position would be changed. This is why I mentioned the hand/elbow technique above.

Good shooting

Tim
Old 08-27-2006, 10:47 PM
Cornbread2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Once you learn to use the sling you will find that you no longer need a bench to zero a rifle or to shoot well.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:44 PM
Kolchak
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith custard
Everytime I read a "sling use" thread I wish I had a grand master instructor nearby.

I did have someone show me how to use a military sling and all the reading that had so confused me made so much sense in those few seconds of demonstration

I can't tie knots very well either