"Acceptable" accuracy? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:49 AM
1Merlin

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
"Acceptable" accuracy?

Acceptable accuracy. What does that mean? Lots of good threads going now with accuracy the prime consideration in most of them. I know the term means different things to different people and I would like to hear what Acceptable Accuracy is/means to you.

I really dislike giving generalizations but... Here is a generalization of what is acceptable to me - generally...

I'm referring to bolt guns (and I currently don't shoot benchrest.)

Anything over a .5 @ 50 yards (with most ammos) is not acceptable.

I have bought 3 aftermarket barrels for 457s because they would not shoot consistent <.5s with mid level subsonic ammunition.

Generally... any rifle (rimfire) that's a .4 or better with a couple of mid range ammunitions is a keeper and I am good with it. IF it's an Anschutz and it won't shoots .3s with multiple ammunition types I trade it. I really don't think my attitude with Anschutz is snobby but I really do expect more from them than most rifles.

Your thoughts/expectations..?
Old 10-22-2020, 11:57 AM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Admittedly, most of the ammo I shoot is HV "plinking" ammo, but I'm happy with 3/4" at 50 yards with that. I am not shooting heavy-barrelled varmint guns, just sporters, and frankly, I prefer the Scouts or any of the shorter-barrelled rifles.
That said, most of those rifles will shoot 1/2" or better with selected HV-HPs, so I'm not exactly giving up much. I want them to hit a squirrel's head at 50 yards, if they can do that, I'm happy. All my CZs can do that, the 10/22s will "usually" do that, but not always.
I'm not exactly fussy about it all, but compared to most of the guys I squirrel hunt with, I'm a regular fussbudget.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:10 PM
1Merlin

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennasher View Post
Admittedly, most of the ammo I shoot is HV "plinking" ammo, but I'm happy with 3/4" at 50 yards with that. I am not shooting heavy-barrelled varmint guns, just sporters, and frankly, I prefer the Scouts or any of the shorter-barrelled rifles.
That said, most of those rifles will shoot 1/2" or better with selected HV-HPs, so I'm not exactly giving up much. I want them to hit a squirrel's head at 50 yards, if they can do that, I'm happy. All my CZs can do that, the 10/22s will "usually" do that, but not always.
I'm not exactly fussy about it all, but compared to most of the guys I squirrel hunt with, I'm a regular fussbudget.
Glenn I didn't really consider HV ammo and shooting hunting ammunition is really a much different "thing" than what my thinking was when I made this post. It has been literally decades since I shot a copper coated round in a bolt rifle. Just thinking on the surface but a small game hunting rifle accuracy is probably a huge consideration...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2020, 12:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
An accurate 22 rimfire for me has to put five shots inside a 1” orange dot @ 50 yards “every” time with decent ammo . Not match ammo , but most bulk . Some ammo I want even try anymore .
With match ammo , it has to give me five out of ten five shot groups 1/2” or better at 50 yards . The other five groups should be 3/4” or less .
At 100 yards , less than 3” is acceptable because of the wind factor . If I can hit a coke can every time at 100 yards I’m happy .
Old 10-22-2020, 01:07 PM
comfisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
It's not linear.

175$ clearance marlin hits minute of pop can or clay as far as my eyes can focus. Makes me happy.

Cz 455 with wp barrel can keep two mags of my favorite hunting ammo on ar clost to on my 2 inch shoot n see. Allows me th break a dove size clay to 125, which makes me happy camper.

Currently want to build something new to expand the paintball game to 100. It's going to need to keep on a .68 ball, while trying to race my friend to break them. First two rifles would leave me frustrated, hopefully bergara b14r and wolf mt get it done.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:23 PM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
What is "acceptable accuracy"?

A squirrel hunter may think that one inch at 30 yards is "acceptable". A benchrest shooter would recoil in horror at that standard.

Therefore, the only definition that makes sense is "Whatever the shooter is willing to accept".
Old 10-22-2020, 01:32 PM
1Merlin

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post
What is "acceptable accuracy"?

A squirrel hunter may think that one inch at 30 yards is "acceptable". A benchrest shooter would recoil in horror at that standard.

Therefore, the only definition that makes sense is "Whatever the shooter is willing to accept".
Lot of answer for a short statement.....
Old 10-22-2020, 01:38 PM
ricky280

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Accuracy

I am a hunter, so for me I want a rifle that will shoot a 1/2" at 50 yds..

I have a couple 452 CZ that will do that, one of them is a 452 16" threaded it really likes the standard velocity in about anything..

The other one likes the high velocity Eley HP at 1250 FPS I really like this round..
Old 10-22-2020, 01:44 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Merlin View Post
< snip! >

I'm referring to bolt guns (and I currently don't shoot benchrest.)

Anything over a .5 @ 50 yards (with most ammos) is not acceptable.

< more snips >
So, when shooting that 0.5" at 50 yards, are you resting the gun or shooting offhand because you're not shooting benchrest at the moment?

In other words, what is your criterion for that group?

Old 10-22-2020, 02:13 PM
1Merlin

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
So, when shooting that 0.5" at 50 yards, are you resting the gun or shooting offhand because you're not shooting benchrest at the moment?

In other words, what is your criterion for that group?

Woops. Most definitely from a bench with a cheap bipod and a dog ear filled with sand. May be a small difference but trying to say I am not shooting a purpose built BR rifle. At 50 offhand I shoot about a 6" group on a very good day. Look at Smallbore NRA Hunter Class Metallic Silhouette Rifles and most all of my rifles are legal or close to legal for that sport. Mostly tapered barrel < 8.5 pounds.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:39 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Quote:
Woops. Most definitely from a bench with a cheap bipod and a dog ear filled with sand. May be a small difference but trying to say I am not shooting a purpose built BR rifle. At 50 offhand I shoot about a 6" group on a very good day. Look at Smallbore NRA Hunter Class Metallic Silhouette Rifles and most all of my rifles are legal or close to legal for that sport. Mostly tapered barrel < 8.5 pounds.
Total side note thread drift. My last year has been spent solely on offhand shooting. About a year ago my 50 shot offhand group looked like a 50 yard shotgun pattern. Friend saw the cardboard and remarked that he also need to pattern a new choke at range for and upcoming duck hunt..... was a note to self to practice more.... as soon as I get to big for my britches I stand up and the group humbles me right back down.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:54 PM
JDWinCO

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I will take a rifle out several times trying to find the best precision it has to offer. If I get into .5 in one target I know what it is capable of, and I am also capable.

The shooter is the one loose nut in the system so I work myself to be consistent into an inch then .75. If I were to change rifles or barrels just because I would be broke. and have learned I am the loose nut.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:47 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Phew!! Cos if you were getting 1/2" at 50 offhand, I was going to have to examine my technique big-time!

Old 10-22-2020, 04:06 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)
From a rest at 50 yards with good quality bolt action rifle shooting mid grade standard velocity target ammo I expect 1/2" or better 5 shot groups. This is for bolt rifles that are in the CZ452, Tikka, Remington 541, Ruger 77 and American etc.
Older rifles that are in the Winchester 69 and Remington 511 class get a pass if they are under 3/4". Off the shelf semi autos for plinking and hunting? Maybe 3/4" also.
Old BRNO 1's, 2's or 5's I expect 1/2" just like the newer CZ models.
High dollar higher quality guns like Remington 40 sporters, Anschutz, Kimber better be able to shoot an occasional 1/4"-3/8" group.

Last edited by HUSHKABOOM; 10-22-2020 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:44 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It all depends on the purpose of your shooting. If training a youngster at 25 yards just about any ammo will do that functions and fires reliably. For winning a competition, a more select grade of ammo that has been tested is required. If trying to win an Olympic Medal that level of precision goes up exponentially as does the cost. For most of us, mid grade copper plated ammo is about all we need to hunt and plink and train with. But that may not win any matches.