Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-11-2020, 03:02 AM
davew

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullybiker View Post
I have little to add apart from the fact I put 100rds through my 10/22 a couple of weeks back with no problems; accuracy was normal.

However I was shooting a new Savage Mk. 2 and ran 100rds of Mini-mag through it without incident. I switched to the box of SV I had bought and it was a disaster, constant FTEX. The cases were sticking, and there seemed to be a thermal component as the bolt would pull them out after about 30 seconds.

I know this is not uncommon with Mk. 2s (the internet is full of these FTEX problems on some ammo) but it struck me as odd.

I will clean the rifle thoroughly and try again.
I shot SV almost exclusively through my Savage MKII FV-SR and it would eventually, gum up and I'd start to have failures to extract. I'd take the extractors off the bolt, clean it, re-assemble it and then it'd run good for another 600-700 rounds where I'd have the same issue. Well, over time, with repeated deep cleanings, that C-clip that holds the extractors just got a little out of whack. I pinched it back a tad and re-installed. Perfect extraction again (for another 600-750 rounds). Here's a good resource for the Savage that I found the extraction clip tweak.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:13 AM
LuckyGuy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Whiteboy View Post
Vista group, the company/corporation over cci, has been in financial trouble for a while. I'm guessing the bean counters are working on cutting costs, hence the new packaging and probably a quality reduction in components.
Seems like when new owners come in,, they screw up everything. And then they wonder why they failed. But the big boss made all their money.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:54 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGuy View Post
Seems like when new owners come in,, they screw up everything. And then they wonder why they failed. But the big boss made all their money.
.....nothing new under the sun

pipestone
Old 02-12-2020, 03:38 AM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Did some bench shooting of "new box" CCI-SV today against some GECO Rifle (bolt) and Eley Std.

I had typical CCI-SV POI's with "new" as with "old". A fine center group of 8 or 9 shots, but always one or two shots that drifted from the main group (and all over the clock too.) Drifters were not off far, but a consistency thing in my book. ("Darn... what a good group that would have been IF...!)

GECO/Rifle and Eley Std had just as good overall groups as the CCI. But they did not have the 1 or 2 drifters out of 10 shots tests as with CCI-SV. (Eley Std was a tad better than GECO-Rifle for me and not as waxy either... liked it!) If the CCI-SV's had consistent POI's, ie, a better/single core grouping, it would have been the better ammo.. but it never did.

Summary for me: Since I am off-hand plinker (not bench, except testing/zeroing) the CCI-SV "new box" still shoots better than I can off-hand. (Would pic Eley Std if I was going for budget bench gold.) All my guns like CCI-SV and it just too available. I do not want to re-zero any scopes or have some guns on a different diet. Fun to test/experiment now and then... but the KISS principal wins out for me.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:56 AM
Basrem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Same here serves the purpose for the price can't buy SK Eley ECT around here Ky . Have to order it and then you have to pay shipping

Sent from my LM-X410.FGN using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2020, 11:56 AM
PEASHOOTER67
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basrem View Post
Same here serves the purpose for the price can't buy SK Eley ECT around here Ky . Have to order it and then you have to pay shipping

Sent from my LM-X410.FGN using Tapatalk

That’s why you wait until there’s a sale with free shipping.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
Old 02-26-2020, 11:27 PM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Old box vs. New box

Shot a box each of Old-box and New-box CCI-SV.
Pics show the best and worst 10-shot group of each ammo.
(I'm a plinker. 25yrds, bench, RB22)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1110036.JPG (140.0 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg P1110037.JPG (144.9 KB, 309 views)
Old 02-27-2020, 07:24 AM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGuy View Post
Before you listen to idiots (not you the guy you quoted) look up how well Vista is really doing! (Very well). They’ve spun off some business units and are rolling in cash. I know a few ‘bean counters’. Not one would sacrifice quality for profit.
Cuiusque Devotio est Vis Regimenti
Old 02-27-2020, 09:27 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Flysalot, y'er comment about loss of quality made wonder...has there been a drop?

Lucky for me, I have about 10 years of target results stored as images.
From when I first started my barrel block tests to today.
CCI SV is a regular and the results don't look much different over time.
Anything from 5 shots in the 0.3's to almost 6 inches of vertical, at 50 yards,
when I got a really bad box with what must of been weak powder loads.
That was right before I bought my first ballistic chronograph.
So y'er probably right, F. CCI SV hasn't changed, still cheap bulk ammo
with variations in quality, dependent on who was running/how fast, the assembly line on that day.

What do you expect for 3 to 5 cents a cartridge?

Not like CCI advertises it for use in precision paper punching.

Like Cody at CCI said, expect it to average 2 inch five shot groups at 100 yards.
So you could get a shotgun pattern or a bughole, depending on y'er luck with the production line lottery.
We're not paying for high quality ammo, can't expect high quality results.

Last edited by jaia; 02-27-2020 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:09 PM
MartyH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3838 View Post
Well, I'm done with CCI. I did a "plunk test" using my target pistol. A box of Agulia Pistol match, all 50 rounds in a box passed the plunk test. Then tried a box from this case of CCI-SV. All 50 rounds FAILED the plunk test. I emailed CCI with the results. Even showed them pictures. I explained to them that the excess wax on the bullets is building up inside the chamber, thus causing the bolt to not fully close. When the firing pin hits the rim, it pushes the cartridge forward that last few thousandths of an inch, giving light strikes.

They replied saying a plunk test is not a valid way to test cartridge size, according to SAAMI. They also said there is no way the hammer should fall on an out of battery bolt. Two things wrong with that. There is no better way to check the size of a cartridge than using the chamber it will be fired in. Also, my target pistol does not have a disconnector. The hammer will fall even when the bolt is fully open. That is how you dry fire train with a Benelli target pistol, a dry fire plug that holds the bolt half way open.

Yep, I'm done with CCI. Shame, because I've been using their ammo for 20+ years with little to no problems.
I agree with CCI. Trying to use a plunk test with a waxed round is just silly to me. Be done with CCI if you like but I think it is misleading to say the CCI Standard Velocity is somehow defective or otherwise out of spec because the rounds didn't just drop freely into the chamber of your target pistol. Further, I think your expectations from this round and the company are wildly unrealistic. You started this thread claiming your recent case of CCI SV is 1% FTF and notified the company who asks you to save any FTF rounds. You then admit you rotated them and they all fired. You made a comment about waiting to see if CCI was "going to make this right"? What exactly do you want them to do? You bought a plinking ammo for a plinking price in which every round has fired and your upset at CCI because you are not comfotrable using this non-competition round in competition?

Before you jump on me as a CCI lover, I prefer Eley, SK and Geco and I'll even go so far as to say that the current CCI SV does seem to have quite a lot of wax on it but then so does my current case of Aguila SV. Those rounds never drop out of their holders and I'm alwas stripping wax off of them. But in both cases, I know what these rounds are and accept them for what they are. They're just for play.

Last edited by MartyH; 03-02-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:18 PM
jps2486

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
CCI Std was the ammo of choice for me for 50 ft indoor bullseye competition. Lately, I've tried it in my BR rifles and it does not shoot well. Lucky to get a 3/4 inch group at 50 yds. I've tried it in my CZ 452, Annie 1710, Annie 1411 and a couple of 64 actions. I use it only to warm up the barrel before shooting the good stuff.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:28 PM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
jaia said it all. This ammo is not match ammo and never will be. The fact that it shoots modestly well in all my guns is a testament to whatever formula they use in bullet and powder combo. I like using it but I would never expect match quality results. The fact that on a good day you can get great results with it is purely serendipity. The problem with some folks here is that since they got some very good results once upon a time, they think CCI is obligated to produce ammo that does it 100% of the time. Fpr a nickel a shot, that ain't gonna happen kimosabe!
Old 03-04-2020, 11:13 PM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GladesGuy View Post
jaia said it all. This ammo is not match ammo and never will be. The fact that it shoots modestly well in all my guns is a testament to whatever formula they use in bullet and powder combo. I like using it but I would never expect match quality results. The fact that on a good day you can get great results with it is purely serendipity. The problem with some folks here is that since they got some very good results once upon a time, they think CCI is obligated to produce ammo that does it 100% of the time. Fpr a nickel a shot, that ain't gonna happen kimosabe!
^^^^^ yep'ers
Old 03-05-2020, 05:56 PM
Mike3838
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GladesGuy View Post
You guys are rifle shooters, I understand that in rifle competition CCI-SV has never, and will never "cut it". I shoot Bullseye Pistol. I'll go out on a limb here and say, at any Bullseye match nation wide, greater than 50% of the shooters on the line are using CCI-SV. Normally, it's plenty accurate and reliable enough to win. I stood on the line next to the guy that won the Illinois State Championship a couple years ago, he used CCI-SV.

There are other shooting competitions out there. Not everyone shoots benchrest rimfire.

As for a nickel a shot, yes, I would expect reasonably accurate and 100% reliable .22 ammo. I just finished off a brick of Geco that I paid four cents a round for. Very accurate in my target pistols, and all 500 rounds went bang, fed, fired and extracted flawlessly. Again, four cents per round. I didn't have to break off large clumps of wax. I didn't have to turn and rechamber rounds that failed to fire. 500 flawless rounds for four cents each. CCI can't do that for more money. That is sad.

Last edited by Mike3838; 03-05-2020 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:36 PM
Markbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Mike what was your accuracy like with the Geco?