Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-04-2020, 01:46 PM
Powerhouse
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Volquartsen Accurizing Kit Issue

I installed the VQ Accurizing kit in my MKiv (40107) and was immediately shocked by how nice the trigger pull was. Amazing difference. Went to the range and had quite a few light strikes (misfires). Called VQ and they said OK and set me one of their firing pins. Seems they are aware of this issue. Installed the new firing pin and things went from bad to worse. Now I get 3-5 almost nonexistent firing pin strikes. Haven't called them back yet (but I will). Has anyone experienced this issue and what can I possibly look at to remedy this issue? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:20 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
There are a couple of things that come to mind. First, how clean is your pistol's chamber? A carbon ring can keep a new round from seating properly making the cartridge head out of place when the FP hits. This can result in light strikes.

Second, have you checked your bolt for burrs, rough spots or carbon/gunk build up? If the FP isn't picking up enough speed, it won't ignite the primer when the firing pin hits. You can slick up the FP with a translucent Arkansas stone and the firing pin channel with some 1000 grit wet/dry sand paper and some oil. Also when was the last time you cleaned your bolt? Gunk in the FP channel could slow things down. A little light oil goes a long way. Too much can gunk things up. Grease is a no-no in the firing pin channel.

You can test for some of this by returning the pistol to its OEM configuration. If the problem persists, it is not a VQ issue. Just some random thoughts. Hope you get it sorted out.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:01 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
This is not uncommon. I've seen this same question multiple times the past few years. Everyone's answer then was to buy a VQ firing pin to fix it, but thats throwing money at a problem without certainty that it will fix it.

For me, message VQ with the problem and go into detail. There is a very good chance they send you an RMA# and a UPS label to send it to them to fix. That would be my route. Their service is so good you nearly feel guilty at times.

Edit - I think maybe its a Fedex label rather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2020, 10:31 PM
ggruber

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_80 View Post
This is not uncommon. I've seen this same question multiple times the past few years. Everyone's answer then was to buy a VQ firing pin to fix it, but thats throwing money at a problem without certainty that it will fix it.

For me, message VQ with the problem and go into detail. There is a very good chance they send you an RMA# and a UPS label to send it to them to fix. That would be my route. Their service is so good you nearly feel guilty at times.

Edit - I think maybe its a Fedex label rather
The problem with firing pins is that if they are short by even 2-3 thousand, they will light strike on a rimfire case. Go over to Benchrest Central forum http://benchrest.com/forum.php and see what the big boys go through to get firing pins working properly. This is a collection of some of the finest gunsmiths in the country.

They laugh at the Remington .308's I build that only group 0.025 for five shots at 100 yards.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:14 AM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggruber View Post
They laugh at the Remington .308's I build that only group 0.025 for five shots at 100 yards.
That's 1/40th of an inch...literally one ragged hole. I doubt many people are shooting better than that.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:51 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggruber View Post
...They laugh at the Remington .308's I build that only group 0.025 for five shots at 100 yards.
WOW!!!

My eldest made fine Rem 700 action custom rifles (Krieger barrels, Manor stocks, Jewel triggers). When I got a .30-06 build that he surprised me with for Christmas, we were very satisfied with custom loads that got me to .250" @ 100yds!!

Anyway once sighted in, my 1st three shots @600 yds were X-ring, 10-ring, X-ring (.5MOA)...good enough for me (and deer hunting)!!!

Sorry for the mis-direction, now back to the OP's FP topic...Clean the bolt and breech face well, verify bolt is fully in battery, lubricate bolt/receiver, possibly upgrade Extractor (VQ has nice one), shoot CCI MM HV for 1st 500 rounds!

Ted

Last edited by Theo98; 03-05-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:57 AM
Powerhouse
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
VQ Accurizing Kit Issues

Took al the advice and CLEANED everything from the bolt o the chamber. Removed the firing pin and cleaned the track. Put everything back together and went to the range. The gun fired any kind of ammo from Federal Auto Match to CCIs. NO LIGHT STRIKES! Had two FTEs out of 200 rounds fires. I'm a happy camper. I do believe it was the chamber ring giving me problems. Tried the "Plop Test" and it failed with the CCIs so I cleaned some more. Passed the test. Will definitely have to pay more attention to that area. Thanks again for the help.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:21 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Glad it worked out!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2020, 01:10 AM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Light strikes are a rotten %%%%%%% to diagnose. I had a MKIII 22/45 with a Pac-Lite and a VQ kit that had issues for a year. Heard every story known to man on it and never could get it figured out over that time. Fast forward nearly a year and I could see that the recoil spring housing was rubbing the inside top of the receiver. Eventually deducted that the hammer was causing upward pressure, and finally found that the strut on the VQ hammer had a burr on it where the pin goes through causing a hitch that wouldn't allow it to travel fully downward. Didn't happen every time, but you could take the hammer out and finagle it to where it would hang up. Also had one out of battery discharge with it during that time. It was a messed up isolated case, but that was the issue and again it took right at a year for me to figure it out.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:32 AM
triplebike

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I started getting light strikes yesterday on my 22/45 mkiv. When I removed the firing pin I found that the firing pin spring was broken. It's a tiny spring and the very end of it broke off, very hard to spot. Two new springs on the way from Ruger at no charge of course.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:07 AM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm still waiting on that to happen, but for whatever reason it hasn't on any of mine. No idea why I haven't bought a 5 pack of rebound springs from TK. I guess I just want it to break and me wait a week to be able to shoot it again.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:36 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebike View Post
I started getting light strikes yesterday on my 22/45 mkiv. When I removed the firing pin I found that the firing pin spring was broken. It's a tiny spring and the very end of it broke off, very hard to spot. Two new springs on the way from Ruger at no charge of course.
I had that happen when I neglected cleaning the firing pin, channel, and spring. The last 4 of the TK 5-pack just sit in my parts bin, as the first one keeps working great with regular cleaning.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:59 PM
openspaces

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
So Iím getting light strikes in my scorpion (itís a couple years old and no issue until recently) and fail to load issues in my mark iv 22/45 with volquartsen accurizing kit. (No issues prior to kit install)

Sent the 22/45 back to volquartsen who duplicated the issue and stated it was due to cci ammo. (Iím having issues with multiple brands of ammo). I plan to swap the intervals back to stock to see what happens.

Side note I stripped the scorpion down and fully cleaned the bolt and found the chamber to be a bit fouled up. Iím hoping that clears up the scorpion.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:45 AM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by openspaces View Post
Sent the 22/45 back to volquartsen who duplicated the issue and stated it was due to cci ammo.
22 Stinkster has YouTube videos of him shooting his Scorpion and Black Mamba with CCI ammo without issue. What did VQ say the issue was with CCI?
Old 03-15-2020, 10:24 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by openspaces View Post
Side note I stripped the scorpion down and fully cleaned the bolt and found the chamber to be a bit fouled up. I’m hoping that clears up the scorpion.
If your rebound spring is still good, then bolt FP channel grit was probably the culprit. CCI MM functions perfectly in all my Mk autos...Let us know how it goes!

Ted