Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-03-2020, 05:11 PM
Gillis2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Weihrauch

Here is my brand new in box HW66 Production. Can<t wait to put some match lead trough her.
Gilbert

Last edited by Gillis2; 03-03-2020 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:25 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congratulations, Gilbert. That's a fine rifle. German craftsmanship and quality.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:18 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
You should find it quite accurate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2020, 10:15 PM
HJA8

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
At this rate, you're going to need a bigger storage facility

Nice score..Great machining, metal finish and blueing on these WH rifles.

Gilbert, do you Canadians have an official WH importer?
Old 03-03-2020, 10:39 PM
Gillis2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
As you Gentlemen can see, I made a few nice purchases lately. Now my gun safe is getting crowdier ( and my wallet thinner - lol )
In Canada, D and L airguns bring in Weihrauch rifles. Mainly their fine air rifles but they get some rimfire specimens.
Gilbert
Old 03-04-2020, 12:34 AM
Arlon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a FINE looking rifle! I didn't know did anything but airguns. I have a HW-75, pretty nice stuff, that rifle looks a lot nicer than the HW-75!
Old 03-04-2020, 04:26 AM
Discontinued
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love HW's

I used to have custody of an HW 66, truly fantastic rifles, The is only one negative and for me this is quite a serious issue.

You'll end up hooked on German High quality, next you'll want an Anschutz or Walther target rifle!

Many people don't realise Weirauch make fine .22lr rifles at one time they produced primarily 22lr revolvers under the name Arminius. there is actually a model HW .357 as well.

Some revolvers where of a very high quality, others where a tad "Saturday night special".

They even produced a number of now banned air cartridge revolvers which are now illegal in the UK. This was due to a moral panic which was caused by a few people converting them to fire live ammo.

https://www.airgunmagazine.co.uk/fea...0-years-after/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arminius_(revolvers)

To my mind as a former collector of airguns They make the finest break barrel spring piston rifles going they are not built like toys rather real firearms quality.

My one and onlyremaining Air rifle is a HW-30 / Beeman R7 in 10 meter air rifle, often beats these poncey gits with their £2k pcp air rifles

The only thing that even beat an HW was the Theoben "Fenman" Gas ram - the 1st gas ram!

Better made than any fullbore rifle I've ever seen, and it was a pellet gun! Rule Britannia if you find one examine it and you'll see what I mean!

Enjoy your HW 66 although, it'll make you question the build quality of all your other rimfires !

Please feed it well, Bulk ammo would be a crime!

Last edited by Discontinued; 03-04-2020 at 05:04 AM.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:47 AM
Andyd
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Parts for WEIHRAUCH HW66 are a little hard to find in the U.S. and even in Germany it isn't easy to source a simple magazine for these nice rifles. Gilbert ( as well as Gerald) has a HW66 from the sought after hunting line, the Match rifles are a little bit more common.

I have an old HW35E since decades and it is one of the longest rifle that I own.

The Arminius .22 l.r. revolvers are very underrated but frequently seen as club-owned guns in Germany. They are very robust and quite accurate. I just took a HW9 to the range a week ago and it was a pleasant surprise in my mix of shooters.

They are kind of odd looking, kind of an ugly duckling.

***Arminius is the name that the Romans gave to Hermann, the son of a German Cheruski chieftain whom they took as a hostage to Rome as a little boy where he was raised by Roman stepparents and became a captain in the Roman army. When he returned to his village in Germany to visit his real father, he decided to fight the invading Roman legions under Varus. His knowledge of Roman tactics and fighting order helped him to defeat and totally annihilate the three invading Roman legions at the battle of the Teutoburger Forest in 9 A.D. leading to emperor Augustus to cry out:
Quintili Vare, legiones redde! (Quintilius Varus, give me back my legions!)

Last edited by Andyd; 03-04-2020 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-04-2020, 06:57 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Great looking rifle Gilbert, that stock is gorgeous. Heirloom quality.

And a shout out to Discontinued for the history lesson on the Brocock cartridge system and the "poncey gits" comment. I'm going to use that on someone today

Frank
Old 03-04-2020, 07:44 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyd View Post
Parts for WEIHRAUCH HW66 are a little hard to find in the U.S. and even in Germany it isn't easy to source a simple magazine for these nice rifles. Gilbert ( as well as Gerald) has a HW66 from the sought after hunting line, the Match rifles are a little bit more common.
Perhaps magazines are easier to find outside of Germany. I had a HW60J that needed a new magazine (the eight rounder didn't work well). I ordered one that also fits the HW66 from the UK supplier and it arrived within ten days. See https://riflemags.co.uk/weihrauch-magazines/

I don't know the Canadian Weihrauch dealer referred to by Gilbert above gets any spares. I bought a HW66 Production from them over a year ago and to my knowledge they had no spare magazines at the time.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:54 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
As AndyD mentioned I'm custodian of a very nice HW66, I find it shoots very much like my Anschutz 1710dkl and is about as heavy, a rifle that truly puts a smile on my face.

I think you've had a very good run of new acquisitions Gillis.

Oh here's a couple of my Steyr Zephyr as well, I'm blessed as are you.

by the serial number mine is a pretty early one.

Old 03-04-2020, 11:09 AM
dryfly24
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Congratulations on a fine rifle. I used to have one and found it very similar to my Annie 54ís. It should should do very well for you. Please post some target pics when you get a chance to take her out.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:24 PM
sqweeler

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
No U.S. importer?
Old 03-04-2020, 06:31 PM
Gillis2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks all for your comments. As some mentioned, German quality is addictive. I already have 3 Anschutz 54 action rifles and this Weihrauch sure looks of about the same built quality.
On a side note, here are my first shooting impressions, as I brought my brand new HW66 to the range today.

First, let me say that when I got the rifle ( new in box ), I gave the bore a good scrub. The bore was filled with some kind of greasy rust preservative. It took quite some brushing and patches. I got a bore guide from Lowey in Australia for that specific rifle and used one of my Dewey .20 cal coated rods. I prefer ss rods but only use them for rifles that I have a MWerks bore guide as these bore guides are very tight. As the bore guide from Lowey for the Weihrauch is made od Delrin and a bit looser, I prefer a coated rod. Maybe I am overthinking this...

Then at the range ( 50 yards indoors ). Well the action being brand new was, at first, a bit stiff. After about 100 rounds, it got much better. The rifle rides the bag nicely, though not as great as my BR stocked rifles, but for a sporter, I was pleased. I did some initial ammo testing: SK flatnose match, Lapua center X, Lapua midas + and Eley match.
The Eley was all over the place so I think the rifle does not like Brit. ammo - lol . Center X and Midas + were my best friends. I got a few nice groups, though I did not caliper measure them. It was only a first outing and with a new barrel.

Gilbert

Last edited by Gillis2; 03-04-2020 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:16 PM
HJA8

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
As stated by PG, spare mags are readily available from Rifle Mags UK.

Gilbert, I think you will find that the action (particularly the bolt lift) will remain a little "stiffer" than a 54. The firing pin spring in these WH is very strong which contributes to this.

I also have a couple - A HW66JM Running Boar - unmodified factory rim fires don't come much better than this.

My HW60J is pillar bedded (after market pillars unlike the thin sleeves fitted to the factory stock.) The action is threaded and fitted with a match chambered 3 groove Benchmark - It shoots OK