21A Bobcat vs Ruger - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-04-2020, 04:02 PM
DaStray
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I can`t say anything about the Ruger`s reliability as I don`t have one and have no first-hand experience with them but I`ve had a Beretta 21A since the late 80`s.
I too have problems with reliability with any ammo and I clean it after every range session. Sights are practically nonexistent but it isn`t built for target shooting either.

If I were to use a .22 for woods walking I`d carry my SR22 as I haven`t had any problems with it in approx. 1000 rounds. I`ve shot mostly Minimags in it but have fired about 50 rounds each of Aquila and Winchester without a problem. Good sights, excellent reliability with a 10 shot mag to boot. It also fits my hand like a glove. What`s not to like?
Old 03-04-2020, 04:35 PM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
If I scrub my 21a CLEAN, including a brush in the chamber, it will usually go through 100 rounds of Remington Golden Bullets before the first jam. 150 on a good day. Not to start a debate about the quality of Remington ammo but Golden Bullets seem to work well in short-barrelled semi-autos.

This is what you can, with luck and a little practice, do with one at 100 yards.

I still say you can only count on the first shot, but it's a fun gun and if you don't need life-or-death reliability, I still recommend it. If you do need that kind of reliability, you shouldn't be in this thread.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:20 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
I do own both, the Ruger is considerably larger but far from large, the 21A has never failed to fire with CCI Minimags, the Ruger got a rough start with several FTF, light strikes etc. but did very well on its second trip to the range. Pay your money and take your pick in my opinion.

Marked .25ACP but actually a .22lr, curious but it sure works well, well used as you can see.

Only time will tell.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:19 AM
max503
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My LGS has a new Beretta 21a (the black one) priced at $359. I'm sure they would come down some. I'm thinking hard about it. It would be for fun not SD.
I don't like the Rugers but I'm an old traditionalist.
The Beretta wouldn't cost much more than a Ruger.
It would P-me-off if I bought the Beretta and it didn't feed well.
My brother has had a Beretta 22 for decades and it has been a joy, but I think his is a larger model and the barrel doesn't tip up. Not sure but I think so.

To quote Chuck Berry - Meanwhile, I'm still thinkin'.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:14 PM
sansarcroad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My model 21a was bought used, and has functioned well with CCI mini-mags. I apparently have developed a weakness for Berettas, as I have a model 102 target pistol (like a 76), picked up one of the model 71s recently imported, and now have the baby brother. All are a joy to shoot and will be around long after I am gone.

The newer generation of polymer guns are light and handy, but tend toward the ugly end of the spectrum, and don't seem made to withstand the test of time.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:03 PM
max503

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I went in today and looked at the Beretta. They want $349 and he won't come down. Is that a fair price?
Old 03-11-2020, 07:04 PM
sansarcroad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
new price is about $350

The only one I see on Bud's is a bit more, but it's the inox model. I think I paid $225 for my used specimen with box and 2d mag. They are not rare on the used market, so patience may be rewarded. Otherwise, $350 is not out of line for new.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:11 PM
Blaze
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Agree with the above. I recently purchased two 21As. Both used. One a Matte model with box, etc and extra magazine for $230.00 in like new condition. The second an Inox model in very good condition. $221.00 incl. Shipping, etc. Both are keepers for me. I had two or three 21As in the past and very much regretted selling them. These will stay with me. I would check the used market first, both local and online, before buying a new one at $350-400. JMHO.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:53 AM
max503

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been looking at some used ones on GunBroker. They don't seem all that much cheaper but I will keep my eyes open. I've never bought online before. Is Gunbroker a good way to go???
Old 03-16-2020, 09:57 AM
Blaze
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MAX503. Depending what your FFL dealer charges for the transfer and the shipping cost you should be able to find a 21A for around $250 +- used in very good condition on Gunbroker. You may have to wait for the right one to come along though. The wait is worth it IMHO. Good luck.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:04 AM
trumph

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a 21a inox for years. I did everything any body ever suggested to make it reliable. Sometimes when squeaky clean, it would run like a sewing machine. Sometimes not. Sometimes when it was filthy dirty, it would run like a sewing machine. Sometimes not. No matter what kind of ammo I used. I really liked the gun. Really liked the tip up barrel. Fit my hand good. I just got sick of the failure to eject. Got rid of it, and I don't miss it a bit. Bought the LCP 2 .22 yesterday. Hammer fired, not striker. Metal guide rod, takedown pin, & magazine. Seems like a well made little pistol. The safety lever is a little weird, I don't really like that. I didn't buy this to carry concealed. Just to plink with and maybe throw in the center console of the truck. Haven't shot it yet. Will do that later this week. I think if it runs good it will be a nice little pistol.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:02 PM
redman33

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have both and like both. Beretta is more fun to shoot. LCP ll is probably more dependable. I have an order in for another 21A in stainless steel. Just because I want it.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:19 PM
bajasam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Beretta for sure. Find which ammo it likes first,mine likes HV, trunacated cone style the best.For a 2" barrel it is extremely accurate out to 25yds.
Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM
trumph

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've got about 1200 rounds through my LCP .22 now. Had a few problems at first, but I think that was ammo related. Haven't had any failures of any kind with aguila hv, sv or 60 grain sss. The 60 grain sss hit point of aim at seven yards, but keyholded as I expected. Had 2 failures to feed with stingers at first, but none lately. It's more accurate than my bobcat was, and I can fully load the magazine. The bobcat I had, I had to down load the mag one round to even have a chance at working. The safety is goofy, and since I shoot left doesn't really work for me. I'm not going to carry it concealed, it's more of a plinker for me. If I carry it in the truck i'll just leave the chamber empty. All in all a nice little pistol. I think if Beretta put an extractor on the bobcat it would solve a lot of problems. If they ever do, I would try one again.