Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-29-2020, 02:46 AM
Mickbr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anyone use 22WRF in their 22WMR?

I know its technically safe but wondered if any point in doing so? I was thinking much like running 38 special in 357 mag lever actions some issues might be
1. shorter case feeding issues from magazine
2. the bullet jump to the lands with the shorter case might reduce accuracy?
3. loss of velocity even below normal 22WRF levels?

I was thinking of giving it a try at least as a one off, an intermediate level round might be fun for the sake of it, less damage on small game, a bit more oomph than 22LR.
What are the realities though?
Old 02-29-2020, 02:52 AM
Mickbr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just thought, would probably produce a carbon ring due to shorter case in the chamber as well?
Old 02-29-2020, 03:52 AM
johnrr65

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickbr View Post
Just thought, would probably produce a carbon ring due to shorter case in the chamber as well?
+1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2020, 07:07 AM
SerenityNetworks
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I recently bought a Chiappa Double Badger in .22WMR/.410 as my "take it when scouting" / "opportunity" gun. I purchased a bunch of different brands and styles of ammo. I was hoping it would shoot WRF okay and it did. The rifle is not a tack driver, but it isn't awful and it happens to shoot WRF better than any other round. I'm happy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 02-29-2020, 07:53 AM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I use WRF in the .22 magnum cylinder of my Colt New Frontier, and I think it's perfect for a handgun. More thump than a long rifle, without the excess (to me) flash and bang of the magnum round. Whenever Winchester does a run of the ammunition, I always buy several boxes.

If I ever see an old Colt Police Positive Target in .22 WRF, I'll have to restrain my wallet had.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:54 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yes, not a big deal. Theres not much out there. So look at what you have. It may be better to sell it to collectors. I bought about 500 rounds of Winchester commemorative stuff about 10 years ago. It was on clearance. I shot some, sold some and have a little left. Worked great. BUT Winchester has their 22 Mag Dynapoint plated rounds that will fit the nitch. They work great.

Old 03-01-2020, 02:00 AM
Mickbr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks folks interesting. So what is the story with the 22WMR dyanpoints? its a heavier bullet, plated with moderate velocity so does this basically make it a reduced loading so to speak? Is it quieter than normal 22WMR? Or is the heavier bullet and moderate velocity better for penetration and slightly larger game?
Old 03-01-2020, 05:06 AM
Area51guy
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
WRF vs WMR...........

I have two WRM guns, an older Ruger Single Six Convertible and an 1885 Winchester Lo Wall sporter in .22 mag. I have shot some of the Winchester Rim Fire in both gun with acceptable results. I, also like the reduced muzzle flash and noise when fired in the pistol compared to the magnum ammo. Of course, when shot in the rifle, the gun weight and the longer barrel (25") make noise/flash/recoil negligible. I had a Colt Police Positive Target in WRF for a while but never got around to shooting it before trading it off. Bad move on my part!
Old 03-04-2020, 05:38 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
I have some .22WRF put back, but . . .

. . . because of long term availability issues, I try to find Winchester .22 WMR subsonic ammunition. Challenging to find but not nearly as hard as the WRF rounds. I was lucky enough to find a seller here on RFC forum below that had only used a partial box from a brick of this ammunition who decided to sell it.

https://winchester.com/Products/Ammu...uper-X/X22MSUB

Buy only a single box to determine if your magnum firearms like it. Some people do report varying results with accuracy. If the firearm does like it, then stock up. I'm not sure how long Winchester will continue to offer it.

I hope this helps.