Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-25-2020, 05:49 PM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My takedown "Trainwreck" Brownells build

What was supposed to be my "super-awesome, reliable suppressor host" build has turned into a trainwreck. And to be clear, I'm not totally dismissing Brownells. I'm just pointing out that despite my sample of one, I don't feel like I'm alone in this experience.

You can read about it here.

A little background: My site used to be about all sorts of outdoor gear. But some changes in the industry made me rethink my business model. Now, I'm using my site to promote recreational shooting as a family sport. And I'm putting my money where my mouth is. While some companies have generously donated gear, or offered a discount, I'm still putting thousands of my own dollars into it. I've taken friends, coworkers, and their kids shooting, and found it very satisfying to be able to provide the gear and the instruction. We have an outdoor location where we can shoot, and I'm slowly expanding the gear and rimfire firearm selection. If all goes well, we'll have some steel challenge-style steel plates to go with our KYL targets by the time it warms up. And I'll have an excuse to shoot every weekend.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:54 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Sorry that your having problems with your TD. They can be one of the tougher rifles to get right, especially using aftermarket parts. Nice to see someone giving back though and teaching the next generation.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:10 PM
Jammer22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ahh the not so subtle art of self promotion!
Why not take up your issue with Brownell's directly? Or more correctly Azimuth Technologies, its their mess up.
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2020, 08:40 PM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
Sorry that your having problems with your TD. They can be one of the tougher rifles to get right, especially using aftermarket parts. Nice to see someone giving back though and teaching the next generation.
Thanks. In my conversations with suppliers, one pointed out that there's a reason they offer every single part to build one. They all work together. That's not always the case when mixing different aftermarket parts.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:50 PM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer22 View Post
Ahh the not so subtle art of self promotion!
Why not take up your issue with Brownell's directly? Or more correctly Azimuth Technologies, its their mess up.
Brownells is covered by this:

Due to varying dimensions in aftermarket and some older factory aluminum trigger housings, fitting may be required.

The BRN-22 receivers are designed to work in conjunction with Ruger® 10/22® OEM bolts, and as such may not work with all aftermarket bolts.

Azimuth just makes them to whatever specs Brownells asks for. I can't blame them. Although I have to wonder who decided that a takedown needed a cleaning hole in the back of the receiver.

Rimfirecentral has been a great resource for me over the years, and some readers may find my articles useful. I could copy/paste my articles into a thread here, and share them that way. But there are so many other parties involved, that's not really going to work. And at the end of the day, I'm just doing my part to support an activity I've enjoyed for nearly 40 years.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:21 PM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If anyone is interested, I've published two more articles in this series.

One covers the PMACA chassis, the other is about the Adapative Tactical Tac-Hammer barrel.

We finally get some decent weather (it's 58 degrees right now), and I get stuck working from home today. And 1-3 inches of snow expected tomorrow.

What I really need is a 50 yard indoor range, in my home.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:56 PM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Last week, I published the final article about this build, here.

In the end, it's not terrible. What probably made it seem much worse was that I was range testing another project at the same time, and that one went as smoothly as anyone could ask for.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:52 AM
GT_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have feed and relaibility issues with a bone stock 10/22 Takedown and aftermarket magazines. I did a Youtube video recently about which mags work best in my 5 10/22's, and it's always the 10 round factory mags. I have the BX25, BX15, and Butler Creek 25/22 or whatever they are, and for precision shooting the 10 rounders always win. 100% reliability, light, and I have taken to getting the Tandemkross Doublekross adapters to make them 20 rounds per mag, so the capacity isn't really even an issue there. Have you tried using a 10 round mag? I know that won't fix the extraction issues, but may help the feeding and cycling.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:57 PM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_80 View Post
I have feed and relaibility issues with a bone stock 10/22 Takedown and aftermarket magazines. I did a Youtube video recently about which mags work best in my 5 10/22's, and it's always the 10 round factory mags. I have the BX25, BX15, and Butler Creek 25/22 or whatever they are, and for precision shooting the 10 rounders always win. 100% reliability, light, and I have taken to getting the Tandemkross Doublekross adapters to make them 20 rounds per mag, so the capacity isn't really even an issue there. Have you tried using a 10 round mag? I know that won't fix the extraction issues, but may help the feeding and cycling.
I have a mix of new and used 10 round mags that I use most of the time. Once an action is a bit broken in, the 15 and 25 round ones work. By 500 rounds, I'd expect the Butler Creek mags to work well. But I've not gotten much joy with most mags in this receiver so far.
Old 03-15-2020, 04:22 PM
linux_author
US Coast Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
wow, sorry to read about your problems... i'm too chicken to try a 10/22 frankenbuild, but have put together a FrankenCharger TD using an out-sourced factory receiver (SAP -good folks!), 3rd party barrel (Whistlepig - Louis is great!), the cheapest midway AR storage grip i could find, a BX trigger and a PMACA TD chassis...

works great! i even use a VQ Firefly bolt on occasion for shooting quiets or shorts (with a modified BX mag), but i wasn't aiming for a precision pistol:

i did look at the Brownells receivers, but passed... i like sticking with Ruger manufacture for that portion of my builds

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

Last edited by linux_author; 03-15-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:22 PM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by linux_author View Post
wow, sorry to read about your problems... i'm too chicken to try a 10/22 frankenbuild, but have put together a FrankenCharger TD using an out-sourced factory receiver (SAP -good folks!), 3rd party barrel (Whistlepig - Louis is great!), the cheapest midway AR storage grip i could find, a BX trigger and a PMACA TD chassis...

works great! i even use a VQ Firefly bolt on occasion for shooting quiets or shorts (with a modified BX mag), but i wasn't aiming for a precision pistol:

i did look at the Brownells receivers, but passed... i like sticking with Ruger manufacture for that portion of my builds

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico
Takedown Charger in a PMACA chassis? That's mine below. Although I went with a Tac-Hammer barrel. I do have two WhistlePig barrels as well. That's where I got the leftover chassis from. But that Charger is back in a factory stock, so it matches my non-Takedown.

Here's my 2nd effort at an aftermarket build. CST receiver, KIDD Ultra Lightweight barrel, Timney trigger, and although it had a JWH Custom bolt, I just threw a Volquartsen competition bolt in it.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:27 PM
linux_author
US Coast Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
nice! and i should mentioned that i don't mix-and-match barrels/receivers between 10/22 and Charger - that's a no-no - LOL!

but i enjoy some fun and accurate range outings with my TDs!

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico
Old 03-16-2020, 05:29 PM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by linux_author View Post
nice! and i should mentioned that i don't mix-and-match barrels/receivers between 10/22 and Charger - that's a no-no - LOL!

but i enjoy some fun and accurate range outings with my TDs!

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico
You can build a rifle from a Charger receiver, but not go the other way around without a stamp. Which is probably why I've got a half dozen 10/22 variants.