Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-15-2020, 02:04 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Chinese firearms in Int'l competition?

What rifles do the Chinese use in international competitions like ISSF 50m, biathlon, etc?
Old 02-15-2020, 02:53 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In the past twenty odd years, while I've paid attention to ISSF results, their teams have mostly used Anschutz rifles, predominantly the 2013 action, with a few of the women using F27 Fortner actions since before the Rio Olympics. Recently though Bleiker rifles have made a presence. I can't recall any shooters with Walther or FWB 0.22 rifles making finals. Ammunition has been Eley, Lapua, and RWS.

The first major medal in 50m rifle, was the 3x20 (Women's 3-Position) at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics. I believe Wu Xuaxian used an EM752 Standard rifle.

Last edited by tim slater; 02-15-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:44 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thank you Tim. that is what I wanted to know. Also I ran across an EM751 ad from Canada. Not that I was particularly interested in getting one, just wanted to know if the Chinese had some sort of match rifle. But like everyone else it seems the usual suspects are at the top of the game regardless of who is pulling the trigger and from where.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2020, 02:13 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I strongly suspect the move to European kit is due to the growth of the Chinese economy, and the desire of the government to win medals. My guess is that early on the teams used home grown rifles, because that was what available. The 751 and 752 are pretty crude looking, but the action appears quite sturdy. It seems to be the same as the 332 sporting rifle, so it wouldn't be hard to make a target version. And if these were the main domestic supply, the factory/Olympic coaches can select the best.

Interestingly Emei, the factory/conglomerate that makes the EM rifles had more modern rifles on its website for a bit. That's now shut down, but the 315/316/and 317 looked like clunky clones of the Anschutz 2313. I think a few Chinese International shooters have used parts from these on Anschutz rifles, but not the entire rifle.

Last edited by tim slater; 02-16-2020 at 02:25 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:20 AM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Tim, again thank you for sharing. My naivete and ignorance about international small bore equipment knows no bounds. I was looking at equipment lists of various benchrest shooting and one internal question after another popped up.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:01 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't mention it.

Most Olympic competitors use the same few brands. That covers clothing as well as rifles and ammunition. Fifty years ago, there was more variation and many more athletes shot a rifle from their home country, but the profit margins seem to have been too small and companies stopped making target rifles: Finnish Lion, Hammerli, Winchester, Schulz & Larsen, BSA etc. The USSR had considerable success with their own rifles, but didn't sustain this after the collapse of the Soviet Union. Russian, Ukrainian, and Belarussian athletes still won, and win, medals, but almost entirely using German and Swiss rifles. There are exceptions, I think Kamenskiy took a World Cup bronze, and Zykova won the European Champs as a Junior, both with Ural 5s (in modern alu stocks), but these are very much a minority.

China didn't suffer the same economic collapse as the USSR, but perhaps they decided their rifles weren't competitive. Now whether they couldn't improve the design, or thought it was more cost effective to import rifles for their top teams is anybody's guess.

Last edited by tim slater; 02-17-2020 at 04:44 AM.