Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Spiegel Sticky

34K views 72 replies 36 participants last post by  LarDaBear 
#1 ·
Here it goes. Post your Spiegels here so all can drool. I'll start it off with my M51.....lets see them boys! Please add and unusual characteristics and info on these rare guns. Regards, Rick.

See less See more
#32 ·
Possible Spiegel

Not 100% sure if mine is a Spiegel or not, as it was made prior to them marking the "S" prefix / suffix on the model number. However, it does have traits of the Spiegel guns, including the drilled & tapped barrel / receiver and the magazine compartment & trapdoor in the stock.

Anyways, here's some pics of my 42M in question. Sorry about the poor pics, I will get some better ones soon.

#33 ·
Would a Spiegel 46M necessarily have the loading port cutout? I have an early one with no other lettering than 46M, that has most of the other recognized attributes of a Spiegel, including the cheekpiece stock, drilled and tapped, with no.7 scope mount blocks, and the 3 other correct sights. It does not have a compartment in the buttstock, but that makes sense to me since it's a tube feed gun and not magazine fed.

#34 ·
If you are referring to the loading port under the fore stock then you have one of a small number of 46M rifles that were made without that loading port. In discussions I've had with a number of Mossberg enthusiasts the consensus seems to be that there was a batch of 46M's assembled with fore ends that were missing the port and were shipped without being noticed or that they were noticed and shipped anyway. I have two of them and I think I remember hearing of two more here on the forum. Most of the Spiegel 46M rifles do have the port.

The 46M should not have the trap in the butt.

Post some pictures!

#42 ·
If you are referring to the loading port under the fore stock then you have one of a small number of 46M rifles that were made without that loading port. In discussions I've had with a number of Mossberg enthusiasts the consensus seems to be that there was a batch of 46M's assembled with fore ends that were missing the port and were shipped without being noticed or that they were noticed and shipped anyway. I have two of them and I think I remember hearing of two more here on the forum. Most of the Spiegel 46M rifles do have the port.
My 46M has no port either.

#36 ·
Another one added to the pile, a W45B. This use to be a B46B, it was my second one that had the barrel altered with a dovetail cut into it. Picked up the W45B barrel on auction and you see the rest. The stock is correct and it does have a duck medallion on it.

#39 · (Edited)
Picked this S46M up recently. Didn't realize it was so collectible. Unfortunately, some idiot drilled and tapped it for the wrong scope mount (and drilled it WRONG - holes don't match the mount!). And most of the bluing is gone on the barrel.

I bought it to resell, but I'm not sure if I should have it refinished first... I'm thinking I should probably yank the scope and mount and just put setscrews into the holes on the receiver.

The sights seem to be all there, although one of the inserts for the safety is missing.

Oh, and I was warned not to shoot it... they were right. It's a SWEET shooter. I was ringing the gong 75 yards behind my deck with very little effort, and that is one seriously smooth bolt and trigger. I am tempted to keep it. (one of the perils of having an FFL!)

#41 ·
Posted this in the main forum thread but thought I would also include it in the Spiegel thread as well. My "new" 51M. looking to mount a Spiegel scope to it when I eventually find one but I have a nice No. 8 mount holding a lyman .22 Junior scope I will put on it to have fun with for the moment. I will add another few pics with the scope soon.

#47 · (Edited)
Are there any close, or approximate, production numbers for the 42M produced for Spiegel? I'm referring to ones that do not have an "S" prefix to the model number but are D&T'ed as the Spiegels are and have no medalion, or evidence of one ever being on them?

Thanks,
James

#51 ·
Just picked up this S26C single shot. $40. The S102 had random screws for elevation and for mounting. I switched on a complete S102 I had, but for some reason I cant get the mounting screw to work right, so I'm running a random screw with no windage lock. Missing the fixed swivels, but otherwise it's complete.

#54 ·
a while ago i picked up a spiegel 46BS mossberg.i've never heard of this specific model.not in the best of shape but i payed very little for it.i had to change the bolt handle as is was literally a hardware bolt in there.it still needs some tweaking from light primer strikes.

anyone ever heard of a 46BS?

Attachments

#55 ·
Some information on the Model 46 BS you have...

Good Evening, Mr. ToyBoy,

Well, I have not heard of the 46 Series with a 'BS' suffix. I can only guess, that following Mossberg's somewhat
flexible procedures for marking their rifles, this is a Model 46 B with the Spiegel 'S' indicator applied after the
model designation. Perhaps it was a new person on the line, no straightforward Work Instructions, or something,
that caused them to stamp the Spiegel 'S' after the '46 B'.

Just my best guess, and I'm sure some of the RKI's will visit and supply further information.

That said, I did look up the 46 B models in some of my reference books.

The Havlin's book, "Mossberg: More Gun for the Money", we look at Section IV "Growth of the Company",
possibly 1936 time to the entry of the company into World War II manufacturing. In pages 88 through 94, there
is some Model 46 family information, but nothing for the "46 BS".

Also, it is mentioned that this period started the use of the Master Action short bolt, which you have in your rifle.
And, note that you do not have the receiver cut-out on the right side for clearance for the bolt dust cover. I
suspect your bolt does not have two D & T'd holes for the dust cover screws on its right side.

After World War II, it seems production started up by 1947-48 on the new 100 Series of rifles, which post-date
your rifle's markings and lineage.

Checking my Component Parts List booklets, I find no mention of that 'BS' suffix. But, there is no mention
whatsoever of any rifles that were bound for the Spiegel catalog and the Spiegel stores. I seem to remember
there is a member of our forum with an extensive collection of store catalogs. Perhaps he/she may provide
some insight if asked.

Now searching through my folder of Ephemera and Dealer mailings, I find a pamphlet with a section titled
"1938's Leaders". There is mentioned a Model 46 BT with information indicating it is a Model 46 B fitted with
a 26 inch heavy target barrel (the capital T indicating 'Target' perhaps ?), and a target stock in the manner of the
Model 35B and the 44B.

Next, I find a Price Guide and Rifle Listing from 1939, it is titled "20th Anniversary". And, there is no listing
for the Model 46 BS. I won't mention the prices listed, as it will cause grown men to whimper and possibly tear-up...

Next, I find a Price List and Rifles Catalog/Pamphlet dated 10 February 1940. Again, no listing for a Model
46 BS. And, again, I won't mention the prices.

I do hope this information is of some use to you. Hopefully, this will jump-start this thread again. There are
some forum members with extensive historical knowledge. Perhaps no one has seen this thread in the Mossberg
Spiegel Sticky. I shall post a note in the main forum threads.

Cheers and Merry Christmas to you and the family.

#59 ·
Good Evening, Mr. ToyBoy,

Well, I have not heard of the 46 Series with a 'BS' suffix. I can only guess, that following Mossberg's somewhat
flexible procedures for marking their rifles, this is a Model 46 B with the Spiegel 'S' indicator applied after the
model designation. Perhaps it was a new person on the line, no straightforward Work Instructions, or something,
that caused them to stamp the Spiegel 'S' after the '46 B'.

Just my best guess, and I'm sure some of the RKI's will visit and supply further information.

That said, I did look up the 46 B models in some of my reference books.

The Havlin's book, "Mossberg: More Gun for the Money", we look at Section IV "Growth of the Company",
possibly 1936 time to the entry of the company into World War II manufacturing. In pages 88 through 94, there
is some Model 46 family information, but nothing for the "46 BS".

Also, it is mentioned that this period started the use of the Master Action short bolt, which you have in your rifle.
And, note that you do not have the receiver cut-out on the right side for clearance for the bolt dust cover. I
suspect your bolt does not have two D & T'd holes for the dust cover screws on its right side.

After World War II, it seems production started up by 1947-48 on the new 100 Series of rifles, which post-date
your rifle's markings and lineage.

Checking my Component Parts List booklets, I find no mention of that 'BS' suffix. But, there is no mention
whatsoever of any rifles that were bound for the Spiegel catalog and the Spiegel stores. I seem to remember
there is a member of our forum with an extensive collection of store catalogs. Perhaps he/she may provide
some insight if asked.

Now searching through my folder of Ephemera and Dealer mailings, I find a pamphlet with a section titled
"1938's Leaders". There is mentioned a Model 46 BT with information indicating it is a Model 46 B fitted with
a 26 inch heavy target barrel (the capital T indicating 'Target' perhaps ?), and a target stock in the manner of the
Model 35B and the 44B.

Next, I find a Price Guide and Rifle Listing from 1939, it is titled "20th Anniversary". And, there is no listing
for the Model 46 BS. I won't mention the prices listed, as it will cause grown men to whimper and possibly tear-up...

Next, I find a Price List and Rifles Catalog/Pamphlet dated 10 February 1940. Again, no listing for a Model
46 BS. And, again, I won't mention the prices.

I do hope this information is of some use to you. Hopefully, this will jump-start this thread again. There are
some forum members with extensive historical knowledge. Perhaps no one has seen this thread in the Mossberg
Spiegel Sticky. I shall post a note in the main forum threads.

Cheers and Merry Christmas to you and the family.
Thought I'd jump in here with some talk about the Model 46BS rifle I bought at a local gun shop a month or so ago. I paid $160 for it, at the time I didn't know anything about the Speigle rifles, it just seemed like a pretty nice old .22 for the price. It's in pretty good shape, blueing hasn't gone all brown. It was missing the front sight hood and the mounting screws for the No. 4 peep sight, but I ordered those and installed them today. Mine has the plaque on the pistol grip, the red stag with the name S G Goville, or possibly Coville, stamped on it. There is no cheekpiece, it has a steel buttplate with the storage compartment, though it doesn't appear that there was ever anything in it. It has holes drilled for scope mounting blocks, those have plug screws in them and it doesn't look as if a scope was ever mounted. The action needs a good cleaning. The stock is nice though there is a chip of wood missing at the bottom of the buttplate. Still, for about $190 all in with the replacement parts it's a good older rifle.

Did Mossberg engrave the names of the buyers on that plate or was that done by the buyer post purchase?

I also have a Model 144, no letters, that I bought at another local shop. It was behind the counter, hadn't made it to the racks, at $200 it was a no-brainer, it looks mint, virtually perfect. I live in a fairly rural area of New Hampshire, though there is money around here, people come for the lakes. Old folks are dying off, the kids/widows sell the guns. I'm in my 70s, won't be that long before time catches up with me too, but in the meantime I'm still a buyer. And I still drive ya know!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.