How do you find the most accurate hunting round for your rifle - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:24 AM
greenyonline

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How do you find the most accurate hunting round for your rifle

This isnít about bench shooting although your method may be the same. Hereís the premise: you have acquired a sporter and want to identify the best round for hunting with it. Youíve inspected, cleaned, put on decent glass, maybe lightened the trigger, bore sighted, sighted and now you are ready.
What is your method? Dirtying, cleaning, groups, yardage? This is about what you have on the shelf or what you would usually buy for hunting, plinking and practice. This isnít about Lapua, Wolfe, etc etc. Its about midpriced, low priced (under normal circumstances) and bulk ammo.
How would you do it?
Old 08-12-2020, 01:01 PM
comfisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
My main hunting 22 got a treatment as follows.

I shot all the available hv hollow point ammo for group.

Then in a cold day did cold bore shots starting with the best performer. It takes time to do, so bring a couple extra guns to shoot while the rifle cools down. This process took me 3 range sessions to do. My goal is/was to see which round had the most precise cold bore shot, quite frankly it's the only shot that matters in hunting.

Cold bore ranking was similar to groups. Top two traded spots but only by a small margin.

Sometimes a surprise will pop up, a volquartsen barrel in 17hmr stacks a17 in to good cold bore consistency but its not real impressive on 9 round (size of my magazine) groups. But usually the best group correlates to the best cold bore.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:13 PM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfisherman View Post
My goal is/was to see which round had the most precise cold bore shot, quite frankly it's the only shot that matters in hunting.
When hunting that first shot means so much especially if you plan on eating the kill.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2020, 03:37 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Leaving the bore dirty should give you the best cold bore shot. Since I stopped cleaning mine so much, the first shot out of a cod barrel is always dead on.

Standard go to ammo is CCI Mini Mags, or... SK SSHP's, but they have stopped making them. I shot whatever shoots best within reasonable price for hunting ammo. I always go for head shots, so solid nose or hollow points, it does not matter. Whatever gives you the best groups.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:52 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I hunt with cheap bulk Federal 36 gr cphp.
I can perform a craniotomy on a tree rat with every shot.
Why? I take the shot at distances where ammo quality is not a factor.
The stalk is the fun part.
Sneaking in close enough that ammo brand doesn't matter.
Any rifle can hit a dime every time, if'n ya' get close enough.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:12 AM
StanHi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenyonline View Post
This isnít about bench shooting although your method may be the same. Hereís the premise: you have acquired a sporter and want to identify the best round for hunting with it. Youíve inspected, cleaned, put on decent glass, maybe lightened the trigger, bore sighted, sighted and now you are ready.
What is your method? Dirtying, cleaning, groups, yardage? This is about what you have on the shelf or what you would usually buy for hunting, plinking and practice. This isnít about Lapua, Wolfe, etc etc. Its about midpriced, low priced (under normal circumstances) and bulk ammo.
How would you do it?
For me, the method is to purchase the brand & style of ammo you want to shoot when hunting. No need to try something you will not shoot hunting. Shoot each into about 5 groups of 5 shots; bore snake the bore; then shoot all other ammo under the same conditions. Select the best 2 or 3 ammo. Move to 100 yards and repeat. Some ammo that is good at 50 will not be as good at 100.
After final ammo is selected, shoot cold bore shots and remember what you get. All of my rifles have repeatable, predictable cold bore results. After 500 rounds of shooting, clean the chamber very well. No need to clean the bore until 3000-5000 rounds are fired (your mileage may vary)
Old 08-14-2020, 07:15 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Foul the bore, one cold bore shot and two more shots. Sometimes there is a cluster of critters that need dispatching.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:59 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A fouled bore with RWS sshp or Eley sshp are my usual tree rat choices for cold bore ammo shots.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:33 PM
Achigan
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
I hunt with cheap bulk Federal 36 gr cphp.
I can perform a craniotomy on a tree rat with every shot.
Why? I take the shot at distances where ammo quality is not a factor.
The stalk is the fun part.
Sneaking in close enough that ammo brand doesn't matter.
Any rifle can hit a dime every time, if'n ya' get close enough.
A man after my own heart Jaia! I greatly admire the folk who can measure their groups in tenths of inches at the range, but for me, the thrill is in the chase.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:57 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I hear ya' A.
No long range shooting where I'm at.
Thick palmettos and new pines make for very short sight lines.
All about knowing where they feed, working quiet and moving upwind.
Good times.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:15 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My Initial 22 LR Procedure

The RFC guys have spoken . . . with some great input for you.

I usually set up my 22 rimfires in the following manner. I use CCI Standard Velocity to do my initial optics sight-in and then shoot the rest of that box of 50 just to exercise the action and barrel shooting off a bench @ 50 yards using (5) round groups. I have a lot of CZ 45x's and a few of them shoot very well with that ammo. I will also shoot a few groups of CCI Mini Mags so I know how that particular barrel performs with that higher speed ammo. If this is a walk-around-hunter setup I will move on to SK Std Plus "if" the CCI Std Vel doesn't perform to my satisfaction and that usually resolves the situation . . . meeting my small critter hunting requirements.

Like jala & achigan I am a stalker so most shots are less than 25 yards but I like to know that I am good out to 50 yards thus the fore mentioned procedure. Note I may also carry my S&W 617 or semiauto and take a closer shot with that . . . again with standard velocity ammo.

If I know my range increases to beyond 50 yards (like out to 100-125) I will usually switch to one of the 22 WMR or 17 HMR rimfires but still carry a 22 LR pistol to take care of short-range targets. Probably not a perfect set of solutions but it usually makes for an enjoyable outing.

I got rid of all my (consistently, inconsistent) cheap & bulk ammo a few years ago and start with CCI Std Velocity because I have a very adequate supply and it's not a bad starting point and it also shoots fairly well in my 22 LR target pistols. I also clean my rimfires after every range or hunting session . . . mainly because I have several and do not know when it will be cycled back into action. I have never been that concerned with a clean or cold bore first shot on a walk in the woods or pastures hunting small critters. but that's just me.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:27 PM
greenyonline

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Awesome reply from all

Thanks to all. Great input! I had not considered cold shot but it makes so much sense considering that itís hunting and not punching paper. Now I have a plan.
First: It starts with 2 portable target stands. Iíll place 1 at 25 yds for the early work, and one at 50 yds. Then Iíll move the 25 out to 75. Not many shots at that range but I need to know.
Second is a dedicated journal for development.
The rifles: Remington 582, early style trigger rifle, trigger pull 2 3/4#
Remington 581, later style trigger rifle, trigger pull 2 1/2#
Remington 581, later style trigger rifle, trigger pull 3 1/2#
Ruger 77/22 Volquartsen sear and lighter spring, pull 2 1/2#
The ammo: numerous different loads, 4 Federal, 3 Remington, 1 Winchester, 1 Aguila, 3 CCI
When I find an accurate load that suits hunting for a particular rifle I will probably stop there for that rifle. No need to burn ammo to try and find a tiny bit of accuracy considering the shooters capabilities. 😁
Old 08-25-2020, 06:18 PM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Buy several brands of ammo
Go to range, shoot off sand bags
The ammo that shoots the best is the best
PRETTY SIMPLE AIN'T IT.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:17 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've always been a best of the five-shot-groups kind of guy, but when my next rifle (Lithgow) arrives I am going to focus on 10 shot groups to try and remove some 'operator error' due to rifle adjustment out of the equation.

I mainly target shoot so cold bore isn't a big deal for me, but would follow the previous advice of getting closer to the critter
Old 08-25-2020, 09:59 PM
john the plinker
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For small game hunting I select a couple varieties of ammo that have shot good groups previously and should preferably offer at least good bullet performance. My regular testing regimen has already done a lot of the work for me.
Using those types I shoot a couple of groups from a cold bore, minimum 5 minutes between shots. Whichever does the best is what I use.
I prefer accuracy over oomph in this case because the targets are smaller and relatively easy to put in the bag. Sometimes only a portion of the kill zone is visible so a good shot can be difficult to accomplish even getting in close.

For varmints I tend to use HV ammo since the ranges tend to be longer and the targets larger and harder to put down. My requirements for accuracy are not as critical but bullet performance is. Otherwise the process is basically the same.