Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-09-2020, 05:17 PM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
What Do I Have?

I stumbled across a yard sale where there was some reloading equipment for sale. The items were individually priced, but I told the woman having the sale that I would give her $50 for the box. I could see an older Rockchucker, a 5-0-5 scale and a bunch of brass and a 1 pound can of H4895.

I got the box home and started going through it. The press was in really good shape, as was the scale. There was a Speer #9 reloading manual, about 200 pieces of once-fired 30-06 brass, small lots of assorted other brass, 500 CCI primers in packages that were used 20-25 years ago, and a powder measure the likes I have never seen. The only markings I can find on it are "C 4".

It is an interesting tool, and I want some help figuring out who made it.

The body appears to be cast iron. The adjustable powder drop cavity where the volume is adjusted is a slot in the drum with 2 sliding brass pieces, one for gross adjustment and one for fine. The controls for the brass movement are the two knurled knobs point down below the drum area in the picture below. There are two locking thumbscrews in the picture for locking down the adjustment. The one above the fine adjuster knob locks the gross adjustment, and the one boss next to the funnel leading to the drum locks down the fine adjustment. Suspended from a cotter pin hinge is a "knocker". I have heard of these, but this is the first I have seen. Apparently, after the charge is thrown, the knocker is lifted and dropped, and the bouncing it does knocks any stuck powder grains into the charge.

PowMeas01.jpg

On the back side, you can see the boss for a clamping screw to mount the measure to a shelf. You can also see the brass volume adjusters next to the knurled adjustment screws.

PowMeas02.jpg

Looking down into the hopper, you can see the brass volume adjusters. The gross adjustment has a rectangular cross-section, and the fine adjustment has a D cross-section to fit with the brass drum as it rotates in the housing. There are numbered index marks on the fine adjustment bar, but not the gross adjustment.

PowMeas03.jpg

Any of you guys ever seen a powder measure like this before? I am probably going to clean it up and refurb it and use it. It looks like it could be a pretty decent tool, once it is cleaned up.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:24 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I believe it is an old (ancient) Lyman. It is a good measure. I still use a 5-0-5.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:30 PM
scooter22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It,s a Lyman #55. Still make them. Clean it up and cheak it. Sould have the little V baffel that fits in the hopper to regulate the pwder flow. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012880550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2020, 05:51 PM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
It,s a Lyman #55. Still make them. Clean it up and cheak it. Sould have the little V baffel that fits in the hopper to regulate the pwder flow. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012880550
Well, sunofagun, Scooter, I believe that is it! I don't have the V baffle, but I can probably make one. Do you know anything about how accurate the throws are? I have an RCBS Uniflow, which is pretty good, and a Hornady Deluxe on my progressive.

This little thing looks like it may be useful for when I am doing small lots on the single stage press.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:03 PM
scooter22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
IIRC reading about them they are good. Just you have 2 adj to fool with instead of one. Plus you got the knocker. You can do that with rapping the handle on the Uniflow at the top and bottom if your consistent. Good measure to have even if you don't use it.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:11 PM
Plinkhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have two Uniflos, one with the rcbs baffle and the other without. I measure zero difference using the same powder. This is with accurate #2 &#5 in pipsqueak loads for 32 & 38/357. Logic tells me the baffle should make a difference but it hasn't in my case.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:13 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They use to come with two drop tubes that had different diameter through holes in them. I have one that's (Lyman) orange instead of grey. If I remember correctly C-4 was a Corbin Reloading part number but I don't know if they ever marketed a version of the Lyman 55 thrower. Mine very accurate, You have three different powder slides, the Large steel one and the two different brass one. This allows for a rather large adjustment range of powder throws.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:15 PM
chicks2111

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Lyman

That is a real treasure. Now go shopping for a "Homer Culver" conversion for it and you'll really have something!
Old 05-09-2020, 06:23 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yep. Lyman.
Had one on the bench when dad and I reloaded together back in the early 70's. Accurate enough IIRC.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:19 PM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I've seen the Lyman 55 like yours sitting on reloading equipment tables at gunshows typically for the price you gave for everything. I keep thinking about grabbing one as an extra but love my Custom Products powder flow. I would love to hear what you think of it.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:41 PM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is what I started with back in 69 and still have it.

John
Old 08-13-2020, 06:03 PM
W8LON

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The scale readings are actually setup for black powder on these old measures. I used mine for years while shooting competition. Very accurate depending on the knock.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:40 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
I had one and left the baffle out. It was more consistent without any obstructions. I never did understand the reason for the baffles, unless they just did not want a full load on top of the drum, making the handle a LITTLE harder to turn, but they are more consistent without it.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:01 PM
scooter22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I believe the baffle theory is you have a consistent amount(weight) of powder over the drum whether the hopper is full or down to the top of the baffle. So the powder isn,t compacted into the drum cavity more when the hopper is full and less so as it,s emptied.

Last edited by scooter22; 08-14-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:24 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
I believe the baffle theory is you have a consistent amount(weight) of powder over the drum whether the hopper is full or down to the top of the baffle. So the powder isn,t compacted into the drum cavity more when the hopper is full and less so as it,s emptied.

That is the IDEA... but.... powder can bunch up over the holes on the baffle, and you have the same situation. I used one for a long time, and then removed it, and found much more precise powder throws. The $352 Harrell measure from Sinclair has no baffle.