Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-11-2020, 10:23 PM
Dvsride

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ammo selection? CCI tactical?

Hi; I know I’m asking a question that will vary depending on rifle, user, and intended use. But what ammo do your dedicated AR seem to like the most that has the best accuracy? I have used thunderbolts, CCIs, and fed black packs with no apparent problems. My most accurate ammo is CCI SV.

Another question was..... any one here used CCI tactical and was it accurate or should I just stick with 40gr mini mags for something HV?

I live in CA and my store just carries the regular stuff and I have no access to the more expensive stuff.

Thanks everyone for your input

Chris
Old 06-12-2020, 08:54 AM
12Bravo
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The CCI AR Tactical is basically the same thing as CCI Mini Mags. The Tactical just has a slightly different bullet profile to help feed better in AR's. My 16" AR rifle and my 4.5" AR pistol both shoot the CCI AR Tactical accurately.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:08 AM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I like Federal Auto Match.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2020, 04:31 PM
thatguybme

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a dedicated upper and after lots of polishing with Flitz on anything that was metal to metal, including feed ramp and top of the chamber (where the bullet point will ride to feed). It took a lot of Mini-mag and other better high velocity stuff to get it broke in

I have NOT tried the CCI SV - but I tried federal bulk, Mini-mags and the CCI stingers - the mini mags gave the best accuracy of the three i tested.. The stingers were horrible..

I also found that it fed most reliable (even the 550 bulk cartons) if it I sprayed WD-40 (or case lube) on the magazine.. and ran the bolt pretty wet.. HUGE increase in feeding reliability by spraying the mag.

good luck
Old 06-21-2020, 08:55 AM
12Bravo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguybme View Post
I have a dedicated upper and after lots of polishing with Flitz on anything that was metal to metal, including feed ramp and top of the chamber (where the bullet point will ride to feed). It took a lot of Mini-mag and other better high velocity stuff to get it broke in

I have NOT tried the CCI SV - but I tried federal bulk, Mini-mags and the CCI stingers - the mini mags gave the best accuracy of the three i tested.. The stingers were horrible..

I also found that it fed most reliable (even the 550 bulk cartons) if it I sprayed WD-40 (or case lube) on the magazine.. and ran the bolt pretty wet.. HUGE increase in feeding reliability by spraying the mag.

good luck
I hope that you are wiping out the magazines really good after using WD-40. That stuff WILL gum up after a while. I usually use a dry graphite or similar inside of magazines so that I don't get a bunch of dirt in them.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:32 AM
zukiphile
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I like a bit of polishing on parts that rub against one another; maybe I'm just reducing the break-in duration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguybme View Post

good luck
I'm sure there is plenty about these rifles I don't know, but excess oil sounds like a stop-gap fix for an underlying problem. That oil can also include the detriment that it captures all sorts of grit that might otherwise fall free of a lightly lubricated system.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:39 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
I like a bit of polishing on parts that rub against one another; maybe I'm just reducing the break-in duration.

I'm sure there is plenty about these rifles I don't know, but excess oil sounds like a stop-gap fix for an underlying problem. That oil can also include the detriment that it captures all sorts of grit that might otherwise fall free of a lightly lubricated system.
Semi-auto rimfires run so filthy the only lube I use on any of them is Hornady One-Shot dry lube. I am using S&W magazines with Catch-22 spacers and have no problems with feeding. The polymer they use is pretty slippery. My rifle runs great now that I fixed the headspace problem. The CMMG collar was too long creating excessive headspace and light primer strikes. I just took a little metal off the front ring of the collar to allow it to slide further onto the barrel stub and everything is fine now. I also am having good luck with the CCI AR Tactical, which is good because I bought a lot of it during the previous ammo shortage. Every time I saw a brick or bulk pack of .22 I bought it.

Last edited by Mike_AK; 06-21-2020 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:11 AM
zukiphile
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
Semi-auto rimfires run so filthy the only lube I use on any of them is Hornady One-Shot dry lube.
I have a can of dry lubricant I bought for use with 10/22s. I've used it on 22lr ARs and it works, but my normal practice doesn't incorporate it.

If I get more than 500 rounds between cleanings, I run a bore snake down the barrel, remove the BCG and dump several drops of motor oil on it, cycle it and then wipe it all off with a paper towel. I'm sure it leaves a film of some oil, but mostly I believe the oil helps me wipe the crud away.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:27 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
I have a can of dry lubricant I bought for use with 10/22s. I've used it on 22lr ARs and it works, but my normal practice doesn't incorporate it.

If I get more than 500 rounds between cleanings, I run a bore snake down the barrel, remove the BCG and dump several drops of motor oil on it, cycle it and then wipe it all off with a paper towel. I'm sure it leaves a film of some oil, but mostly I believe the oil helps me wipe the crud away.
I just blast the BCG and inside of the receiver with Gun Scrubber then hit them with some One Shot, then run a patch through the bore with a Patchworm and a little M-Pro7 to remove the visible crud unless accuracy is dropping off. In that case they get a thorough scrubbing with a rod and brush.

One more tidbit for the Hive, I found that while I really like the pull of the Timney Targa trigger, the hammer spring is not strong enough for completely reliable ignition with rimfire ammunition, and they do not offer a stronger one. I am now running a Geissele and ignition is virtually 100%.

Last edited by Mike_AK; 06-21-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:24 PM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvsride View Post
..... any one here used CCI tactical and was it accurate or should I just stick with 40gr mini mags for something HV?

Chris
I do not have an AR rifle. But CCI-AR (CCI tactical) was slightly more accurate than CCI-MM in my bolt, semi and leaver. Lot variation?

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 06-22-2020 at 02:43 PM. Reason: ... slightly... lot variation...
Old 06-22-2020, 09:05 AM
12Bravo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I haven't noticed that much of a difference between AR Tactical and Mini Mags when shooting them from my AR rifle, AR pistol or my Savage MkII. Both shoot good and accurate for me.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:22 AM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If CCI/AR is your ammo... it is at BP and Cab's them in stock at 8 cents at the moment.

In my guns, the last time I shot a few boxes of MM's against AR's the AR won (groups) by a little bit and that is what I happened to stock up on for a HV round. (But SV still beat them both out to 75 yrds.) YMMV.