Ammo selection with a turner - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-11-2020, 10:31 AM
FredJ_2008
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Tuner weight

Lee: I have several of the light weight tuners. The tuners by themselves, weigh 5 oz. I add extensions of various lengths, depending on the tuning required. Some I only add 1/8 inch, others I add an inch. One I attach a the Long Pappas Noodle as some call them. I'm really not interested in the weight as much as I am the total length. I only use the Purdy Rx to determine what length I need to start with. Then it's just a matter of shooting groups and moving the tuner for or aft to accomplish my final tune. I like to keep the tuner set as close to 200 - 275 range as I can with the complete setup. No two barrels regardless of length will tune the same. I've got to work at, as anyone else that wants good results.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:55 AM
Kiddshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
FredJ
Thanks
Kiddshooter
Old 08-11-2020, 08:34 PM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJ_2008 View Post
Lee: I have several of the light weight tuners. The tuners by themselves, weigh 5 oz. I add extensions of various lengths, depending on the tuning required. Some I only add 1/8 inch, others I add an inch. One I attach a the Long Pappas Noodle as some call them. I'm really not interested in the weight as much as I am the total length. I only use the Purdy Rx to determine what length I need to start with. Then it's just a matter of shooting groups and moving the tuner for or aft to accomplish my final tune. I like to keep the tuner set as close to 200 - 275 range as I can with the complete setup. No two barrels regardless of length will tune the same. I've got to work at, as anyone else that wants good results.
Fred,

Never say never or can't when it has to do with rimfires. I sent a tuner of mines to a friend in AZ his barrel was a .900 2-G BM about 1/2" shorter or longer can't remember. my rifle's was a .900 3-G and almost the same length.

I told him to shoot it just as he got it from me. I don't think he changed the tuner setting after shooting it. he just couldn't believe it, setting was at 90

You believe in a certain length, I believe it is weight at a certain point forward from the crown.
about 4.25-4.60 is ideal for most barrels and the tunes come in at below 100, with most under 50

On the Lapua CX you had got what was the test group size, if I may ask?

Lee
Old 08-12-2020, 01:31 PM
FredJ_2008

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Lee, It's been four years since I got that lot, but I believe it was under 12MM. Haven't been back, as health reasons have kept me at home. I've sent my rifle out there once and never found anything that would match or exceed that lot. Daniel went through three shipments. I settled on one if the lots just because I needed ammo. Wasn't all that great. Now, I just buy 5 bricks at a time from Clint and Test at home. Usually one of those five will test well, and then buy 5 of that lot. I only have time to test each lot in a match. Now I feel I have enough ammo to last for a while. I'm finding better results, by actually shooting targets as I would in a match to select my ammo now. Quit measuring group size to select ammo.
Attached is my last attempt to shoot groups
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lapua Test 07072019.jpg (224.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-13-2020, 06:50 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (40)
Quote:
Lee, It's been four years since I got that lot, but I believe it was under 12MM. Haven't been back, as health reasons have kept me at home. I've sent my rifle out there once and never found anything that would match or exceed that lot. Daniel went through three shipments. I settled on one if the lots just because I needed ammo. Wasn't all that great. Now, I just buy 5 bricks at a time from Clint and Test at home. Usually one of those five will test well, and then buy 5 of that lot. I only have time to test each lot in a match. Now I feel I have enough ammo to last for a while. I'm finding better results, by actually shooting targets as I would in a match to select my ammo now. Quit measuring group size to select ammo.
Attached is my last attempt to shoot groups
Fred, Sorry to hear about your health problems, hope things get better for you.

Going to Lapua is great, but now with two centers I wonder if just getting test lots from Clint would be just as good. since now lots will be assigned to each center and they will not be the same. so the pool will be smaller in what you can test.
currently I am shooting a lot in which I shot one 5-shot group before buying it. and it is been my best lot in every rifle I shot it in.
this was shot with a factory 1413 Anschutz

Lee
Old 08-13-2020, 08:24 AM
FredJ_2008

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Lee: I'm doing much better, thanks for your concern. My wife was my primary driver, and it was more her health that was my most concern. Lost her last November so now my daughter takes me to my matches. Sometimes one of the local members will let me tag along. Going to the Nationals this year, hope this last lot from Clint doesn't let me down. Clints a great guy to do business with.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:59 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (40)
Quote:
Lee: I'm doing much better, thanks for your concern. My wife was my primary driver, and it was more her health that was my most concern. Lost her last November so now my daughter takes me to my matches. Sometimes one of the local members will let me tag along. Going to the Nationals this year, hope this last lot from Clint doesn't let me down. Clints a great guy to do business with.
Fred, I am sorry to hear about your wife, being that she was also your companion on those trips to matches must make it harder.

Good luck at the Nationals, that is something I know I will never get to do.

Take care,
Lee
Old 08-14-2020, 02:38 AM
vicfox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thats a beautiful card Lee.

Regarding barrel length and tuner. I had the need to swap my tuner from my 690 length barrel to a 660 and didn't initially reset the tuner from what was its best setting but on the third shoot with it shot a personal best with the 690.

I have started testing the tuner on the 660 since but so far I haven't shot that score yet but in theory the difference in barrel length should have seen the need to re set the tuner to get the best out of it but shot best at the same setting as a barrel 30 mm longer go figure.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:52 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicfox View Post
Thats a beautiful card Lee.

Regarding barrel length and tuner. I had the need to swap my tuner from my 690 length barrel to a 660 and didn't initially reset the tuner from what was its best setting but on the third shoot with it shot a personal best with the 690.

I have started testing the tuner on the 660 since but so far I haven't shot that score yet but in theory the difference in barrel length should have seen the need to re set the tuner to get the best out of it but shot best at the same setting as a barrel 30 mm longer go figure.
Thanks Vic, Not sure what happened on that first bull.
what is a little over a 1" difference in barrel length shouldn't make a big difference on the tuner setting.
weight is what I found to make the biggest change. I am also thinking barrel material is also a factor, being CM steel is harder then SS

There are few shooters who are using the same lite tuner setup and all if my memory is correct are finding settings below 50 to be ideal.

Lee