Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:48 PM
Flintlock28
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
JC Higgins model 66 info?

Friend of mine asked about a family hand me down; a JC higgins model 66 12 Gauge semi-auto. It looks complete, except there appears to be a missing end cap for the muzzle. I'm guessing this was a Factory muzzle brake,,,,

see photo below.

[IMG][/IMG]

Is the following part, the correct replacement?

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/399040F

I know nothing about these Shotguns, other than Sears had them built by High Standard.

Any help appreciated.

p.s. I'm guessing trying to fire this Shotgun without the end cap, would probably blow the ends of the muzzle off, correct?

Last edited by Flintlock28; 08-11-2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:09 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have never had one of these so listen to me AT YOUR OWN RISK, but no one has ever put a "muzzle brake" on a shotgun (they "port" the barrels instead).

The only thing that ever looked like that was a Poly-Choke, so if you buy that missing cap you should be good to go. The Poly-Choke was a device that enabled the shooter to dial whichever choke he wanted. Very effective, if a tad unsightly.

I doubt you will hurt it to shoot it without the cap, but why risk it? Get the cap!
Old 08-12-2020, 07:35 AM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavagePlinker View Post
I have never had one of these so listen to me AT YOUR OWN RISK, but no one has ever put a "muzzle brake" on a shotgun (they "port" the barrels instead).

The only thing that ever looked like that was a Poly-Choke, so if you buy that missing cap you should be good to go. The Poly-Choke was a device that enabled the shooter to dial whichever choke he wanted. Very effective, if a tad unsightly.

I doubt you will hurt it to shoot it without the cap, but why risk it? Get the cap!
My bad, it is a port. I want to make sure that item is the correct one. I've seen photos on the net that show the plug as being a longer design, do I'm not sure it's exactly the same.

I do have a Polychoke on a Browning auto-5, so I'm familiar with them. This I believe is Factory, but probably made by Polychoke, for jc Higgins....not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2020, 04:10 PM
M92pv4u

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got this picture from Google.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200815-140652_Chrome.jpg (393.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 08-15-2020, 04:25 PM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M92pv4u View Post
I got this picture from Google.
Thanks, that looks different from the Numrich photo.