Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:21 PM
Stan1957

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Questions

I couldn't be happier with my Camper UFX. Just got to 800 rds total today. 2 FTF to date. No real fails to speak of. I need to ask a couple of things of more experienced members. I did a slide off of the pistol cleaning at 300 rds and wanted to know how often others are doing that. Also how well does Browning do with phoned in parts orders? BTW, thanks to all that post tips on cleaning and repairs. You've helped me to get up to speed with the Buck Mark quickly.

Last edited by Stan1957; 06-24-2019 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Found some answers in the stickies
Old 06-25-2019, 12:36 AM
warnerwh

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I only clean my Buckmark every 2+ bricks. I have read on these forums of many people claiming that these guns need to be quite clean or they will malfunction but that hasn't been a problem with mine. My gun works like new and it's accuracy is excellent no matter what unless I try to use Federal Champion ammo. I do add a touch of oil to the slide rails about once every 500 rounds.

When I first bought it I knew (I thought) from reading here that these guns needed regular cleaning which I don't mind and do every time I take a center fire gun out. So I decided to see how long it would be before I had a malfunction. It never happened except as I stated with the Federal Champion. With Golden bullets, Aguila HV solids and Federal American eagles I have had good success. I'm on my fourth brick of Golden bullets with only the occasional dud round which is no fault of the gun. I finally cleaned it after 12 or 1300 rounds because normally I keep my guns very clean.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:57 AM
Stan1957

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've used only Aguila HV for the last 600 rds with great reliability and it seems pretty accurate. About every 200 rds I brush it out with a dry toothbrush, wipe around the breech, slide face and rails with a cleaning patch and solvent. A bit of oil on the sliding surfaces and it's ready to go. I'm thinking of pulling the slide for thorough cleaning and do the pull through on the barrel at 1000 rd intervals. Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2019, 11:52 AM
bpoletti
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I clean my Buck Marks after every session. That cleaning includes the barrel (use a barrel snake and / or cotton swab) and the action chamber / bolt face. NOT a deep cleaning, just a light cleaning to remove the grime from the action and barrel.

That said, I don't even try to shoot for accuracy until after the first 10 rounds. The gun shoots a little more consistently after the barrel gets a bit warm and dirty. I can say the same about my other guns. They shoot more consistently after a couple of rounds.

Last edited by bpoletti; 06-26-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:15 PM
Cowpokey
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Browning specifically says in the manual (that none of us read) to never take the slide off for cleaning. I have taken mine off a couple times in the 1k+ rounds I've put through it so far (still pretty new).

Most of the time I just lock the slide back and scrub it good with a toothbrush, some Hoppe's 9, and run a bore-snake down the barrel.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:32 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Bore snake and tooth brush. Little oil ready to go.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:50 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree with bpoletti and jstanfield103, minimal cleaning but often.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:02 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I remove the slide every blue moon. In other words, whenever I think it might need it. It is not a big deal to remove the slide and I don't know why Browning harps on that. I use something like the pressurized gun cleaner to blow all the old powder residue out of the hammer sear area. Then blow it dry and give it a shot of Super Slick, or similar material. I do put a small drop of Lucas gun oil on the slide. I do about the same with my Medalist and Challenger II.

When the powder cake gets thick on the breech face and slide face, I will brush it clean with Hoppes or similar product. I clean my ATD every blue moon as well. That little rifle will just keep on shooting. I never have had a malfunction with it in the 60 years I have owned it.

My Winchester Mdl 12s are the same way. Just shoot and shoot and shoot, and then feel guilty and take them down and clean them.

VH
Old 06-26-2019, 05:56 AM
dogmansb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also do a bore snake and toothbrush with Gunzilla and just the very lightest of oil on the slide contact points after every range visit.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:05 AM
chim

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpokey View Post
Browning specifically says in the currentmanual (that none of us read) to never take the slide off for cleaning. I have taken mine off a couple times in the 1k+ rounds I've put through it so far (still pretty new).

Most of the time I just lock the slide back and scrub it good with a toothbrush, some Hoppe's 9, and run a bore-snake down the barrel.
Truth is Browning included instructions for disassembly years ago. In recent years they stopped that practice. The manuals now include something like 8 or 10 pages of red-lettered paragraphs before really saying much about the gun. I suppose many of us older folks fall asleep before getting to the real part of the manual.

There was a time before video games when kids knew how to fix their own bikes and had some nugget of mechanical aptitude. We recently hired a 20-something at work who didn't have a clue how to put air in his tires. I'd agree he probably shouldn't try home gunsmithing. This could be a factor in the "don't disassemble" directions. Browning may have gotten to fix a lot of owner's misadventures as warranty work.

Any time someone does anything stupid, they want to sue everyone else, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them include the truck driver who delivered the item. Everything carries warnings, to the point we stop looking at them except for the comical entertainment value. This is probably the largest influence on the changes made to the manual.

It's almost to the point where the package markings "Made in China" are outnumbered by the markings "Contains materials which have been determined to cause cancer by the state of California".

Buck Mark Disassembly/Reassembly Page here:

http://chim.embarqspace.com/#
Old 06-26-2019, 06:57 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Chim,
Funny you posted this. I just had my 83 year old mother buy a electric trimmer. As soon as she read "Contains materials which have been determined to cause cancer by the state of California" She took it straight back and would not use it.
Funny
Old 06-26-2019, 07:45 AM
Cowpokey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chim View Post
I suppose many of us older folks fall asleep before getting to the real part of the manual.

There was a time before video games when kids knew how to fix their own bikes and had some nugget of mechanical aptitude.
Forums never cease to amaze me. Everyone assumes that if someone hasn't been on a page since the beginning of time, and/or has a low post count that they are:

1) brand new to the discussion (sport, subject, etc)
2) a "kid" (I'm 47 and have been shooting over 40 of those years btw)

Did manufacturers even print owner's manuals before the interwebs?!?!?!

Last edited by Cowpokey; 06-26-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:33 AM
chim

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpokey View Post
Forums never cease to amaze me. Everyone assumes that if someone hasn't been on a page since the beginning of time, and/or has a low post count that they are:

1) brand new to the discussion (sport, subject, etc)
2) a "kid" (I'm 47 and have been shooting over 40 of those years btw)

Did manufacturers even print owner's manuals before the interwebs?!?!?!
Welcome aboard, son

Buck Mark Disassembly/Reassembly Page here:

http://chim.embarqspace.com/#
Old 06-26-2019, 08:20 PM
Cowpokey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chim View Post
Welcome aboard, son
Congratulations, your condescending reply lets everyone know how you believe your opinion is more valuable than anyone else. Keep bumping up that post count...
Old 06-26-2019, 09:57 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
First time I did a "slide off" cleaning was when I did the "Heggis Flip" on the Hunter. I was amazed how dirty the pistol was where you can't normally see. The second time was when I used the borescope on the Hunter, and found lead buildup in the barrel. The fouling didn't affect function, and the accuracy all came back after removing the lead from the barrel. From the way it is designed, the instructions are probably right....... but I can't get that crud buildup out of my mind's eye.