Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:43 PM
wildbill

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Added adjustable sights to my Colt .22 rail gun

Picked up this pistol last year but since ammo is kinda hard to come by I havnt shot it much, maybe a couple hundred rounds with no malfunctions. So far ive swapped some trigger parts around and got it to around 4 to 5 pounds and crisp. Changed out the mainspring with a flat one but used the factory spring as it was weaker than the replacement. After I got that out of the way I started on the sights. The factory cut is similar to the Novak cut, angles are the same but the cut is shallower so I ordered a sight from Midway, it was a Springfield Armory Novak cut adj sight made by LPA. Instead of filing on the angle side I took off metal from the bottom of the sight by dragging it across a flat file, rotating the sight to keep from removing too much from one side. That did too things, kept the angles precise plus it lowered the sight some. After removing enough to get it to press in with thumb pressure I centered it and took a drill bit and marked thru the setscrew hole then removed the sight and drilled a tiny depression in the dovetail to help keep it from shifting when tightened. Probably wound up taking off between .020 and .030 to get it to fit. The front sight was easier, its from Dawson and its the .245 height. Slight file work to fit the slot then also drilled dimples in the slide to help keep it secure. Once it fit I removed it and reshaped it to closer match the factory sight. All in all it was pretty simple to do and didnt require any alterations to the slide, just need a couple good files, one flat and one triangle.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-17-2014, 07:37 PM
scubatop

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great idea, can I send you mine? How much were the sights?
Old 01-17-2014, 08:36 PM
Eagle71
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Excellent, I also like those grips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2014, 09:46 PM
wildbill

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Rear sight was from Midway,$43.99 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/721...cut-steel-blue
Front was from Dawson Precision, pt# 050-280 $20.00 http://www.dawsonprecision.com/Produ...6E7-1388518372
The grips were made by a guy from the Speciality Pistols sight. Cant remember just what kind of wood it is but I got 2 sets from him, the other set is on my Delta Elite.
All in all it was pretty easy to do since all the angles were the same. Forgot to mention I also removed a slight amount from the bottom of the front sight to get it down to where the blade was just touching the barrel before I finished fitting it by taking a small amount off the sights dovetail edge.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:08 PM
beachmaster
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That looks great!
I have been thinking about doing the same. My only issue is I put a compensator with a slide actuated cone on my 1911-22, and now it shoots high... about 4" @ 10'...
Im under the impression that adjustable sights require higher front sight posts... as it stands, I already need a REALLY high front sight post, so im afraid if i did something similar I would have a rhino horn looking front sight... :/
Old 01-25-2014, 09:04 PM
wildbill

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
"I put a compensator with a slide actuated cone on my 1911-22"
Beachmaster, do you have a picture available, id like to see your setup. What is causing the higher impact, did the comp lower your front sight? Four inches at 10' is a pretty big change
As for needing a higher front sight for use with an adjustable rear it all comes down to just how low you can get the rear, thats why I removed material from the bottom of the sight. The front sight I installed is .245 high, it looked even bigger than it does now till I filed some angles on it.

Last edited by wildbill; 01-25-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:26 AM
beachmaster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ill post a picture tomorrow. Photobucket just updated itself to be useless somehow...

What the slide actuated cone does is actually lifts the barrel, as it removes the need for the extra screw on the 1911, because it creates a true bushing to barrel fit. But the barrel tended to sit low in the bushing before, so the s.a.c. actually lifted the barrel.

Basically, its kinda a nightmare, and Idk that it is worth it for accuracy, because it was already accurate.
And I dont know if it was worth it for recoil, as there was already so little.
And i dont know if I can go back, because I think it tore up the threads.
And i dont want to buy another barrel... this is #2, and they are not cheap.

All in all, I am going to have to say that this is a fairly poor product. Good idea, Poor execution. (For both zrts and myself)
Old 01-26-2014, 01:37 PM
wildbill

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Sounds like your pistol is GSG manufactured since you are mentioning a screw holding the barrel. I did some searching and saw where some guys have installed this same sight on GSG guns so if yours has the Novak style rear it should work.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:44 PM
beachmaster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah, it is a Sig (gsg)
I guess it is Novak cut, but more shallow. I might use your advice and shave some material off the bottom of the sight to get it as low as possible.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:39 AM
beachmaster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Old 02-01-2014, 12:48 PM
wildbill

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Beachmaster, sorry for not getting back to this sooner. Your rear sight looks pretty tall. I just measured mine and best I can tell both front and rear are around .230 high. I did this by running the rear sight all way down then laying a straight edge across both sights and used a digital caliper to measure from it to the top of the slide near each sight.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:04 PM
beachmaster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Its all good. And they are pretty tall. I need to get a caliper, and measure the stock gsg/ Sig rear sight height. That would be a good starting point.
Does anyone on here happen to know the stock rear sight height?

I would just rather not go with a higher front sight... although I am considering selling this compensator and running the factory barrel plug...

Another thing to consider might be upgrading the guide rod... this one is getting worn down a bit, and maybe somehow having the force of a true full length guide rod could help get me where I need to be...
Cw accessories says its a requirement for running their cone style muzzle cap, but zrts does not.
I just have to get shooting this thing again!