Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:28 PM
remingtonguy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Sig 1911 sights way off!

Just sold my GSG and bought a sig. thoought it was the same but this thing shoots like 6" high at 15 yards! Also way to the right. I have the tallest front sight in. Is this common?
Old 12-01-2013, 03:45 PM
qwiksdraw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No, it isn't common. If you're getting a bad sight picture it could explain the shooting to the right. Mine came with the mid-sized sight and was fine. However, I wanted the Dawson Precision Fiber Optic sight so I did change it out, which my eyes thanked me for.

Solve your elevation problem first, then if needed correct the left/right problem. Don't try to fix both at the same time....just my advice for what it's worth.

Did you try it with the other front sights? Go to the middle sight first.

Did you have someone else shoot the gun?

I have noticed that some ammo I use shoots higher/ or lower than others, but not by 6 inches.

I am sure some other more knowledgeable shooters will have good suggestions for you.

If all else fails, Sigs customer service is very good.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:48 PM
SRV1

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by remingtonguy View Post
Just sold my GSG and bought a sig. thoought it was the same but this thing shoots like 6" high at 15 yards! Also way to the right. I have the tallest front sight in. Is this common?
It is the same gun. Make sure their is no damage to the crown area/ thread cap.

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 05:33 PM
beachmaster
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The only thing I can think of is check the barrel cap. If it is an aftermarket barrel cap that has a funnel shape, being larger at the front than the back, to make the barrel fit flushly in the barrel bushing, it can make it shoot way high, like mine does lol
Old 12-01-2013, 08:23 PM
remingtonguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
thread adapter

I am using a thread adapter for suppressor but it is the same one I used on gsg.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:30 AM
beachmaster
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, this might not be very helpful, but before calling Sig, I would put the original barrel cap back on and see if it is still shooting high. Even if it doesn't fix anything, at least when you talk to Sig you can guarantee its a problem that they are at fault for and they will fix it for free.
Do you have all three barrel attachments in place? The slide stop, secondary pin, and screw?
Old 12-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Model 52
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
On a 1911 the fit of the barrel and link has a major impact on the elevation as it directly affects the angle of the barrel in relation to the angle of the slide.

For example, if the barrel link in a 1911 is too short and leaves excessive gap in the locking lugs, it's not only potentially unsafe, but will also result in a very high point of impact. The fit of the barrel bushing has a similar effect. If it is forcing the barrel up relative to the slide, then that will affect the angle of departure accordingly and raise the point of impact.

As suggested above, I'd advise restoring the pistol to it's original factory configuration and see how it shoots. If it shoots normally than it will identify the after market user re-engineering as the issue. If not, then you can send it back to them to troubleshoot and repair. If you send it back in a bubba'd configuration, they'll politely decline and just send it back to you.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:40 PM
The Hen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the GSG. Stock out of the box it always shot high, even with the tallest front sight mounted. Plastic sights were kinda cheesy so I put on an adjustable rear sight from Midway and a taller than stock fiber optic from Dawson. Hasn't turned it into an accurate firearm but it does now shoot in the direction I point.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:49 PM
remingtonguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Found the problem

Here is what is happening. With the can on it the recoil spring plug is touching and exerting pressure on the bottom of the can. not sure how to fix this or why it didnt with GSG. production tolerances i guess.