New to the 10/22, which trigger kit? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:34 AM
snatiep

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question New to the 10/22, which trigger kit?

Hello Everyone,

I own many different pistols, rifles, and shotguns but don't own a single .22 rifle. My local store currently has the basic Ruger 10/22 carbine on sale for $199 and am thinking this may be a good time to pick one up.

I think it may be fun to upgrade some parts; trigger, extractor, buffer pin, auto bolt release, etc.

I see Volquartsen and Kidd mentioned quite a bit but would like some opinions from you guys on each.

I've been looking at these two:

Kidd: http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Trig...lade_p_95.html

Volquartsen: https://volquartsen.com/products/168-hp-action-kit

Any positives or negatives from getting either one or the other from the two listed?

Thanks for your help and comments!

Nate
Old 09-02-2017, 11:15 AM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I can only speak for the Kidd trigger job, in your link. Get it, you'll like it.

I also have a Brimstone tier 2, which I would recommend. But I haven't tried a VQ kit, and from what I have read I don't think I ever will.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:22 AM
elh0102

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Do it right the first time, spend $280 on the two-stage Kidd trigger assembly. If you get serious about this, you will do it before it's over anyway. If not, you will have a desirable part that can be sold for a high retained value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2017, 11:34 AM
beallj
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the Kidd in the link and it is very good.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:05 PM
Randy99CL
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am often the voice of economy on this forum.

What are you used to, what do you want?
Are your other guns target models with 2oz triggers or hunting guns with 4lb or something in between?

The Ruger BX is decent for the $50 that it costs. Pull is around 2.5 to 3 lbs.
The Brimstone lower tier may be better than that for about the same money (with shipping).

I installed the $40 VQ hammer kit (only hammer and bushings) in one of mine and it dropped the pull down to about 2lbs but it still has a little creep. Not bad but not great.

The target models (LVT and a few others) come with a nice 4lb trigger with zero creep and a really good feel. May be good enough for some, especially hunters. I may send one of my target triggers to Brimstone to see how much he will improve it.

Those $200+ triggers are fantastic but not necessarily appropriate for every 10/22 out there.

Edit: Another point is that Ruger makes dozens of different models of 10/22s. Personally, I have no use for a basic carbine so currently own a stainless International, a stainless LVT and a blued bull-barrel target model.
Look at all the different models on the website, especially all the "distributor exclusives." http://www.ruger-firearms.com/search/exclusive/rifle

Last edited by Randy99CL; 09-02-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:34 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Go with the Kidd 2 stage. It is by far the best trigger available for the 10/22. The VQ trigger ( complete trigger not the target hammer) was kind of a disappointment. I would go with just a VQ target hammer for around $30 over the complete VQ trigger. Brimstone is an excellent option also and they do great work on 10/22 triggers, but they still don't compare to the Kidd 2 stage. That's not a knock on Brimstone at all, it's just that the Kidd is an impossible standard to compare to.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:22 PM
CATMguy445
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to CATMguy445
You didn't say what your budget for upgrading the trigger is, so that makes recommending an aftermarket trigger a little more difficult.

I've tried just about all of the aftermarket improvements for a 10/22 trigger that there are. I've used Volquartsen and Power Custom hammer & sear kits (about $70), a Timney drop in trigger (about $150 when I bought it, assuming I remember right), a Brimstone Tier 3 trigger job ($50 if you include shipping), Ruger BX-Trigger (about $50 where I got it from, but price varies a lot, depending on where you buy it), and a Kidd Trigger Job Kit ($105 + shipping).

The VQ, Power Custom, and Timney I was a bit disappointed with. They all had more creep that I was happy with, and the VQ and PC both had kind of a mushy letoff. The Timney didn't have as much creep, but for what it cost, I didn't think it was all that wonderful.

I was pleasantly surprised about the Ruger BX-Trigger. I now have three of them, and all three have minimal takeup, crisp letoff, and a decent pull weight at about 2 1/2 lbs.

The Kidd Trigger Job kIt is unquestionably the best of the bunch. Pull weight is right at 2 lbs., and the letoff is super crisp, with NO takeup and minimal overtravel. If I had bought the Kidd before the others, I wouldn't have any other brands. Kidd is that good. Kidd sells 3 types of trigger improvements; the just mentioned Trigger Job kit, the Single Stage trigger, and the Two Stage trigger. As near as I can tell, the Single Stage trigger is the Trigger Job kit installed in a trigger housing that Kidd makes. The Single Stage trigger costs about $200, so you're paying around $100 for the Kidd trigger housing, but it is a true drop in assembly that requires no fitting. Just take the factory trigger group out and put the Kidd trigger group in. Done. The Two Stage trigger is a complete redesign and has little or nothing in common with the Ruger fire control parts. It is also a drop in assembly, and costs about $300, but the pull weight is measured in ounces, not pounds. Plus Kidd backs up everything that they sell.

Of course, ALL of the things I've mentioned in this post will give you a better trigger than the Ruger factory 10/22 trigger. I suppose that in a way, just how much better depends on your individual situation and what you're willing (or able) to spend on upgrading the factory 10/22 trigger. In my experience, though, the Kidd Trigger Job kit and the BX-Trigger are the two that I've been happiest with to date.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:10 PM
ElrodCod

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The Kidd trigger job kit is a good upgrade for a basic carbine. Spending anymore than that is overkill.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:27 PM
Outrider
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
Go with the Kidd 2 stage. It is by far the best trigger available for the 10/22. The VQ trigger ( complete trigger not the target hammer) was kind of a disappointment. I would go with just a VQ target hammer for around $30 over the complete VQ trigger. Brimstone is an excellent option also and they do great work on 10/22 triggers, but they still don't compare to the Kidd 2 stage. That's not a knock on Brimstone at all, it's just that the Kidd is an impossible standard to compare to.
Just remember, that statement is only true if you like 2 stage triggers; I don't, which saved me me a lot of money on the build in which I used a Kidd trigger. Absolutely no complaints with the Kidd single stage.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:41 PM
eddyb74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
Just remember, that statement is only true if you like 2 stage triggers; I don't, which saved me me a lot of money on the build in which I used a Kidd trigger. Absolutely no complaints with the Kidd single stage.
Seconded. A friend has the two stage and I'm glad I saved myself some money.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:49 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I meant to add the single stage Kidd trigger or trigger job kit at the end of that post. That is what I was referring being better than a Brimstone. I have several single stage Kidd's and the kits and they too are excellent triggers. I personally prefer the 2 stage, but the Kidd single stage would be next in line.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:24 PM
elh0102

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
The only complaint I have heard about the two-stage Kidd, is that some folks will pull through the second stage prematurely, rather than feeling the first stage stop. I think this is usually when the trigger is adjusted below the weight with which the shooter is experienced. I used to think I would not like the two-stage for hunting, although I have always preferred it for targets. But, it can be adjusted up to 2.5 pounds, so if you adjust it with a definite second stage bias, it is easily adaptable to field use. I hunt with mine set up about 50/50, with a let off weight of about 1.5 pounds. This is lighter than many folks would want for hunting, but I am very used to light-pull triggers, and it feels heavy to me, and certainly safe. I also have the single stage trigger, and it too is excellent. But, given the range of adjustment with the two-stage, I seldom use the single stage unit. One last comment on the two-stage and I'll get off my soap box. If the triggers are compared at exactly the same let off weight, the two-stage is better. My guess, that is due to both the geometry, and the lighter weight hammer.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:20 PM
buckweet

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I .. like several others on here .. have a kidd single stage.
I love it.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:59 AM
Outrider
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
elh0102, some of us have more than enough experience with 2oz triggers to avoid pulling through the second stage of a Kidd or any other 2 stage trigger. We just don't like 2 stage triggers, no matter how they are adjusted. We live with the 2 stage trigger on one match air rifle for which no aftermarket triggers are available; it is adjusted so the first stage is essentially 0oz, so it shoots like a single stage trigger with initial takeup required - not ideal, but satisfactory. It's just a matter of personal preference; to those who like 2 stage triggers, more power to you - enjoy.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:56 AM
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Depends upon what you want... Are you building a benchrest gun, a hunter, or something in-between?

You can have the entire gun tuned up and blueprinted for what some of those triggers cost... and that includes a good trigger job. I've sent 7 guns to Randy at CPC. Triggers are 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 pounds, and very crisp.

For a measly $189, he does the following:
Trigger Job
Bolt Job
Barrel Job

For $45, he will thread the barrel into the receiver.
He also has a hardened EDM machined extractor that is custom fitted to your bolt (he has 3 sizes he picks from) for $10. The firing pin is also pinned with the tune up, and head space adjusted. Barrel work includes re-chambering and crowning.

Most bang for the buck $200 you'll spend on a 10/22.

http://www.ct-precision.com/